Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FCC Proposed Rules from SHVERA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:56 PM

Here it is, hot off the presses all 460 pages. Enjoy the read.

Adobe Acrobat: http://hraunfoss.fcc...FCC-05-24A1.pdf
Word: http://hraunfoss.fcc...FCC-05-24A1.doc

Added: Here is the press release from the FCC:
Adobe Acrobat: http://hraunfoss.fcc...OC-256592A1.pdf
Word: http://hraunfoss.fcc...OC-256592A1.doc
- Holtz

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   beasst37799

beasst37799

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 02:13 PM

is this list that sat companyes are supposed to use if they offer sig viewed?
Rather die on my feet than live on my knees :soapbox:

#3 OFFLINE   waltinvt

waltinvt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 02:35 PM

Here it is, hot off the presses all 460 pages. Enjoy the read.

http://hraunfoss.fcc...FCC-05-24A1.pdf

I started reading but it's very long and full of the usual legal bable. Hope some of you can give us a better understanding of it soon.

One thing I did see (I think) is something to the effect that they want satellite carriers to go ahead and start using the list.

#4 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 02:52 PM

NOTE: skip to page 38 for the start of the signficantly viewed stations by county. :)

#5 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:01 PM

I find it interesting that they include stations already in the market for many of the counties. My county shows four stations, but I already receive all four of those stations in the locals package. They could have saved a lot of space in the report by saying "no significantly viewed stations in this county". :(

My mother, who is on the border with Memphis and Greenwood-Greenville, MS, could receive the following:

CBS3, NBC5, and FOX13 from Memphis
ABC6 from Greenwood (once available on sat)

She would be tickled pink to receive the Memphis stations. :)

#6 OFFLINE   beasst37799

beasst37799

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:06 PM

arent they supposed to mirror cable sig viewed?

#7 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:08 PM

I think I will wait for the Cliff Notes.:lol:

#8 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:13 PM

not necessarily...I think the rules are a little different.

I noticed that our new FOX station in Vicksburg/Jackson, MS is not listed on any county list in MS. The ABC affiliate in Tupelo-Columbus (online in 2001) is not listed either. This list is probably NOT complete.

I suspect that as public feedback arrives, this list will be modified. They used a 1972 list and then added new stations coming on line since then. Many of the stations in 1972 are broadcasting at higher power or have taller towers today (which means greater coverage).

IMHO, this was a "thrown together" list to meet the deadline. They probably allow for feedback. If cable carries an SV station in your county not on the list, send the FCC feedback.

#9 OFFLINE   YOUNGTOO

YOUNGTOO

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:36 PM

a little confused , so are they going to go by county? because where I live in JEFFERSON COUNTY ,THEIR IS 2 CABLE CO. ONE CARRIES ST.LOUIS PLUS MY LOCALS (PADUCAH,KY.) AND THE OTHER ONE DOES NOT! AND THE CUT OFF FROM ONE TO THE OTHER IS ABOUT A MILE. I REALLY HOPE ITS BY COUNTY?? THANKS FOR ANY INFO !

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,311 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:50 PM

I note the WHME 46 (LeSea South Bend) is NOT significantly viewed in its own county, but has been added to the SigView list in Elkhart, Fulton and Noble Counties. Only two of the South Bend stations make it into neighboring LaPorte county (NBC and CBS) while the FOX and independent with similar coverage contours didn't make the cut.

BTW: Make sure you check the end of the state list. Some cities get more than their counties.

Well, at least we have some more FACTS to deal with. :D

JL

#11 OFFLINE   toomuchtv

toomuchtv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:03 PM

No FOX affiliate for my county but do show one for a neighboring county. Very frustrating!

#12 OFFLINE   beasst37799

beasst37799

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:10 PM

this is not accurate not at all i know of cumberland counties in nj that have both ny and phili stations . ocean countys as well and southern monmouth county . so this list is not only flawed but dam wrong . by the way doea anybody have the list for sig viewed that cable uses

#13 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:48 PM

It is important to remember that if a station is reasonably new and in your DMA, there is no reason to list it as a significantly viewed station in your county. It may not qualify as significantly viewed outside your DMA and therefore not be listed at all.

Also, this list was started in 1972(which predates DMA classification) and is THE list.

#14 OFFLINE   beasst37799

beasst37799

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:50 PM

none of my stations are new except for upn 57

#15 OFFLINE   chaddux

chaddux

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 989 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:56 PM

Five stations for my county. Two of them I would like to have.
Chad

"The problem with the gene pool is that there aren't enough lifeguards." - Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

#16 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:58 PM

This is DEFINATELY not accurate - our NBC station is not listed - even in the county where its transmitter tower is !
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#17 OFFLINE   beasst37799

beasst37799

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:04 PM

and i bet the people who made this list make more monay then we do

#18 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:10 PM

Of course, there is the possibillity the cable company has a waiver because its headend serves more than one county. There are many reasons that the list might not look correct.

Remember, a tv station does not have to have significantly viewed status if it is in your DMA and already provided by your provider.

#19 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:12 PM

You can file comments at http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/ecfs/ (read the instructions). Be sure to refer to MB Docket No. 05-49. Also, once posted, the comments will be available for public viewing.

There is also a Express Filing system, but since this was released today, it's not on the list yet.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,311 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:26 PM

This is DEFINATELY not accurate - our NBC station is not listed - even in the county where its transmitter tower is !

How are the ratings for that station?

As JohnH noted, this is THE LIST. Please, before you fill the FCC comments box with pleas for "corrections" read the rules on how the list is made and how the corrections are to be made. Most likely the stations "missing" don't have trouble getting on cable in the counties they are missing from and it is a non-harmful oversight.

Also as JohnH noted, a station does not have to be on "the list" to be carried in its own DMA. So if that is your "correction" please avoid comment.

What the FCC really needs is opinions on what THEY have written - for example where options are given or you believe their interpretation of the law isn't right. Remember they do have their own lawyers for interpretation and the big players will keep the FCC to the law.

And if you feel driven to speak out, remember that the deadline for comments is two months away. Relax ... take a breath ... and get all your comments in one well written public letter. Help the FCC.

JL

spam firewall