Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Have you contacted the FCC about "The List"?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

Just curious to see how many people are actually following up with thier "Significantly Viewed" gripes by contacting the only people who have any real say.

It's nice to complain here - but it doesn't MEAN anything.

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:01 PM

Sent in feedback informing FCC of totally missing MS channels from list:

WUFX FOX35 Vicksburg/Jackson, MS
WKDH ABC45 Houston/Tupelo/Columbus, MS
WMDN CBS24 Meridian, MS
WGBC NBC30 Meridian, MS
WNTZ FOX48 Natchez, MS

I didn't thoroughly analyze any of the counties in detail except for the one my Mom is in and the SV channels are roughly the ones I expected to see.

Unfortunately, I live very close to Jackson and don't qualify for any SV channels.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,665 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:49 PM

Please analyze your complaints in detail BEFORE composing the comments. The more comments they get the less time and ability they will have to read them.

We seek comment here only about whether the SV List accurately reflects such existing significantly viewed determinations, and not about whether the SV List should be modified because of a change in a station’s circumstances subsequent to its placement on the SV List.
. . .
Parties may file comments in response to this Notice describing the nature and basis of any error, including changes in call sign or community. Such comments must include documentary evidence supporting the requested correction.

BTW: If you are complaining that a station isn't on THE LIST in any county in its own DMA it is irrelevant. Look for stations that ARE missing from neighboring counties and ARE Significantly Viewed and can be documented as such.

THE LIST can be modified at any time. It is important to deal with the bigger issues of answering the questions posed by the NPRM and get the regulations in place.

JL

#4 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:43 AM

Please analyze your complaints in detail BEFORE composing the comments. The more comments they get the less time and ability they will have to read them.

Oh, will you please lighten up? Uninformed comments will simply be dismissed as such. The sky will not fall. Nothing bad will happen.

Frankly, the more uninformed comments they get, the better, as far as I'm concerned. That would send a message that the public cares, but does not understand their arcane regulations, which might actually motivate them to try and improve/simplify them. The only thing certain is that nothing good will happen if people say nothing.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,665 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:15 AM

Frankly, the more uninformed comments they get, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

It will be a footnote.

"The commision received over 10,000 comments from satellite TV subscribers, most of them not fitting within the guidelines set forth the NPRM. The commission has decided not to take action on any recommended changes made by the public and to leave it to broadcast licensees and satellite providers to make specific recomendations for changes to the list as set forth in the rules."

Look at it like spam. The more spam you get, the less valuable email you read.

JL

#6 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 06:16 PM

Look at it like spam. The more spam you get, the less valuable email you read.

It doesn't matter how many comments they get suggesting changes to the list.

First, contrary to what many people here seem to believe, carriage by a cable system does not mean a station is SV.

Second, the RFC limits changes to the list to errata only. Additions and deletions due to changed SV status have to go through the regular process for that, not the comments process.

Finally, you have to supply documentation to support any claim you make, which for a change in the list, would be a copy of some official/relevant survey from decades past. Only the stations and or cable companies themselves are likely to have such documentation.

Except as a demonstration of mass ignorance/confusion/misunderstanding as previously suggested, DBS subs suggesting list changes will be wasting their time.

#7 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:32 AM

Alcorn County Mississippi Needs WTVA - Tupelo Channel 9 along with those Memphis Stations for Local News and Weather. This List CAN'T Be Right!!!!!

#8 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:02 PM

I let them know I wasn't happy I wouldn't be seeing WLFI in Howard County here in Indiana. I have no doubt that many stations will be added to several counties in the coming months. Overall, I did some looking on several areas, and the list does a HORRIBLE job of reflecting what is actually significantly viewed.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#9 OFFLINE   Maphisto's Sidekick

Maphisto's Sidekick

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:43 PM

Overall, I did some looking on several areas, and the list does a HORRIBLE job of reflecting what is actually significantly viewed.

Actually, I think the problem is that the definition of the term "significantly viewed" in FCC regs doesn't actually reflect what is significantly viewed in much, if not all, of the country.

Assuming that the definition of "significantly viewed" isn't up for debate, I'd agree that contacting TV stations is probably the most productive response.

However, I'm also looking around for a cite that says that the FCC doesn't have the power to redefine "significantly viewed" to reflect a standard that has a bit more basis in reality.

Addendum: Paragraph 20 makes it clear that the FCC reads SHVERA as barring them from changing the definition of "significantly viewed".

Crap; it would actually take an act of Congress to impose some reality on the world. The FCC isn't allowed to do things like (say) acknowledge that the majority of Americans get their TV via cable or satellite, or that the market has become more fragmented, making it difficult for stations to hit the 3%/25% threshold.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,665 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:12 PM

Paragraph 20 makes it clear that the FCC reads SHVERA as barring them from changing the definition of "significantly viewed".

The FCC isn't allowed to do things like (say) acknowledge that the majority of Americans get their TV via cable or satellite, or that the market has become more fragmented, making it difficult for stations to hit the 3%/25% threshold.

Stations will have to define a community that does meet the standard. There are already a few communities that are less than a county. Including "unincorporated areas of XXX county".

Lots of work to do.

JL

#11 OFFLINE   mcrutland

mcrutland

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

I have contacted the FCC in regards to Memphis channels. The "significantly viewed" list left off Memphis stations for Itawamba County, MS. I found this odd considering that Tishomingo County had WMC and WREG on its list and there is no loger any cable carriage of these stations there. I will also be contacting the FCC on behalf of many other people in my community in hope of getting Memphis stations. My hope is that I can get WREG, WMC, WPTY, and WHBQ on D*.

spam firewall