Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whats The New Channel Gonna Be?????????

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drfreeman

drfreeman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:52 PM

anyone heard anything yet.......
was polking around the skyangel website......
at my login it talked about upgrading my program package....HMMMMMMMM
whats that all about?
Dan Freeman

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:01 PM

I heard that SkyAngel was going to release a small basic cheap package to their customers so that they have something added to what they have now with their service.

#3 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:01 AM

I don't think that is happening for awhile. Sky Angel is absolutely PACKED on space right now. Unless Dish is generous enough to donate some space, but I don't their relationship is THAT good.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#4 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:35 AM

This is all part of the healing process over the Daystar/FamilyNet thing. The rumor is that Sky Angel will be selling a "family package" through Dish. Essentially, it will be a Dish Network "mini-pack" available only to Sky Angel subscribers. I have not received any confirmation about this, but there has been a lot of scuttlebut about this.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#5 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:37 AM

Oh, to ansewer the first question...I haven't heard a word about what the new channel will be. From the way the message I got was worded, neither did they several weeks ago.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:57 AM

So SA subs would need to point a dish at 110/119 locations to get the mini pack?
Mike Richardson

#7 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:13 AM

No...Rumor has it Dish will mirror some channels at 61.5 like they used to. Dish used to mirror PBS and Bloomberg at 61.5 for A la carte subscriptions. Again, none of this has been confirmed and should be considred 100% rumor.

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#8 OFFLINE   BabaLouie

BabaLouie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:18 AM

No...Rumor has it Dish will mirror some channels at 61.5 like they used to. Dish used to mirror PBS and Bloomberg at 61.5 for A la carte subscriptions. Again, none of this has been confirmed and should be considred 100% rumor.

See ya
Tony

As I posted in another thread, in early January I emailed Kathy Johnson, who is in charge of programming for Sky Angel, about this very subject:

"Would you consider working with Dish Network to offer a 'mini-pack' of
some of their channels from the 61.5 W location? The two transponders
that are unused there could be put to work.

"Here is my suggestion for the make-up of that mini-pack:
Fox News
CNN Headline News
The Weather Channel
Bloomberg
C-Span
C-Span2
Noggin
PBS Kids
DIY
HGTV
History
History International
Hallmark
Turner Classic Movies
ESPN
ESPN News

"ESPN could be dropped, if necessary, to make
it more affordable. It would be nice if the mini-pack could run at
$12-15 a month (or less).

"If nothing else, it would be nice to have a 'News mini-pack', which
would consist of something like this:
Fox News
CNN Headline News
Bloomberg
C-Span
C-Span2
The Weather Channel
ESPN News

"Such a package might be able to be offered for under $10.00/month.

"Thanks for your consideration."

This was the reply:

"Subject: FW: Programming (A Dish Network email)

"Thanks for writing Sky Angel. We are currently working on a Family
package of channels that resembles the channels listed below as well as
the price. We do appreciate your interest and hope to have that
completed sometime this year.

"Sincerely,
Kathy Johnson
VP Programming
Sky Angel"

#9 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:44 PM

The channels would probably be on the transponders that Dish Nework has. I would say that all those channels that are in the local packages in must carry that has to be put on the single dish at 110/119/SD will be replaced by channels that SkyAngel will be able to offer its customers seeing how they will have free space available. It might not be until that time until this package becomes available though if that is the case. Either that or SkyAngel could compress some more.

#10 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:50 PM

Jacob,

If the purchase of Rainbow 1 and the 11 transponders at 61.5 is approved by the FCC, this could be done tomorrow. You never know. I also think that Dish may have a transponder or two that is "free" right now due to E*3' s problems.

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#11 OFFLINE   YOUNGTOO

YOUNGTOO

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:38 PM

Something new I noticed today DISHNETWORK has two PPV ESPN CHANNELS turned on today.Channel 147/148 / I'm hoping more local channels by the second week of MARCH?

#12 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:09 AM

Channels 147 and 148 are PPV channels that moved from channels 467 and 468 to become ESPN 3 and 4 specifically to allow for ESPN regional coverage of the Women's Basketball Tournament.

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#13 OFFLINE   JeffH

JeffH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:08 AM

As Sky Angel is only the platform, the programmers have the responsibility to make the system grow as in a steadily increasing subscriber base. If Sky Angel doesn’t grow, it must be the result of poor programming. I think Sky Angel’s motto to their programmers should be If you don’t help us grow, you’ve got to go meaning being removed from the platform.

Of course I know that Sky Angel has many excellent programs and networks, it’s just not the mainline ones like (in my opinion) INSP, Daystar, Golden Eagle, TBN and maybe some others. Potential subscribers only see the mainline networks (which they don’t like) and totally miss the smaller and better ones (both networks and programs).

From the information that I am gathering, we will be seeing big changes in Sky Angel’s channel and program lineup this year. I am looking forward to, and excited about the future changes to Sky Angel, and once again I will strongly promote SA to family and friends. :)

Jeff

#14 OFFLINE   JeffH

JeffH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:41 AM

INSP is now gone

I hope that if another Christian network is added it is an evangelical non-charismatic channel that is not affiliated with any particular Denomination. From my experience, evangelical Christians are not interested in Christian Television “ministries” such as Benny Hinn, Marilyn Hickey and the like. I hope it is a mix of solid Biblical teaching and clean family entertainment, if it is possible. If not I hope Sky Angel leaves this slot open as long as necessary until a new and unique channel can be developed.

Jeff

#15 OFFLINE   Wayne

Wayne

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:31 PM

Amen! brother Jeff.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,588 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:47 PM

I also think that Dish may have a transponder or two that is "free" right now due to E*3' s problems.

E* is currently not using TP4 or TP28 at 61.5 . They could probably clean off a TP to sell secular stations to SkyAngel viewers if the price was right. But now the Rainbow 1 deal is pending any changes will probably wait until that is completed. It provides leverage to say "we need TPs!" ... mirroring stations from 119 isn't a good way of saying they are using their current TPs responsibly.

JL

#17 OFFLINE   JeffH

JeffH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 04:23 PM

Some interesting web sites to check out:

www.letusreason.org

www.discernment.org

www.geocities.com/Bob_Hunter/tbn.htm

www.twincityfellowship.com/cic

I am sure there are other sites as well. How did these "preachers" take over the television medium?

#18 OFFLINE   BabaLouie

BabaLouie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:35 PM

I am surprised that there still no channel to replace INSP...
Perhaps Sky Angel is having a difficult time finding a channel interested in coming on board? Could it be that for many of these programmers, Sky Angel is not an attractive enough platform?

#19 OFFLINE   rid0617

rid0617

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 12:49 PM

from what i understand it is a requirement to promote sky angel to be onboard.

#20 OFFLINE   JeffH

JeffH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:22 PM

[quote name='BabaLouie']I am surprised that there still no channel to replace INSP...
"Perhaps Sky Angel is having a difficult time finding a channel interested in coming on board?"

I know for a fact that this is not the case.

"Could it be that for many of these programmers, Sky Angel is not an attractive enough platform?"

Maybe with the experience that Sky Angel has had with some of these networks, its the other way around. Sky Angel may be having a difficult time finding an attractive network.

If Sky Angel has a small subscriber base, its because the networks are not attractive enough to the viewer. Meaning few Christians want to watch them.

I hope Sky Angel allows the Viewer Advisory Board to vote on a list of possible replacements

Jeff

spam firewall