Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Jose Canseco's new book to be released Monday!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:02 PM

As an A's FAN and lucky enough to meat and be friends with an A's ex pitcher. This will be a pretty good book for me. Sorry i did not post this with the Barry BONDS threads but it deserves its own thread i thought!!!! :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:48 PM

I have a feeling this will turn out like the Brian Bosworth and University of Oklahoma story many years ago. Sports figure writes tell all book - everybody denies everything and calls him a liar - it all turns out to be true.

time will tell

#3 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:12 PM

True or not, it has the appearance of profiting at the expense of others. Where was his willingness to talk about steroids while he played? I'm all for getting steroids out of baseball. Even so, exposing steriod use by players in a "tell-all" book is pretty low.

#4 OFFLINE   BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:07 PM

True or not, it has the appearance of profiting at the expense of others. Where was his willingness to talk about steroids while he played? I'm all for getting steroids out of baseball. Even so, exposing steriod use by players in a "tell-all" book is pretty low.

Yea this is true but come on in 98 alot of people knew. I mean the signs have been there for awile. Any way i wonder how many people would reply if it was BONDS name Jose NAMED??? :rolleyes:

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:49 PM

I'm not a fan of baseball so I should probably keep my mouth shut...

But, if everything the guy says in his book turns out to be true... why crucify him for telling it?

I know there is this "don't be a tattletale" mentality sometimes... but if your neighbor saw someone breaking into your house when you're gone, wouldn't you want them to tell? Wouldn't you want someone to report if you were being beaten in an alley somewhere?

And if the guy is making a buck by ratting out people... well... he couldn't rat them out if they weren't doing anything wrong could he? I mean... it's sad sometimes when people who "tell on" someone are raked over more coals than the person who actually did something wrong.

Just thinking out loud here!

#6 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:31 PM

Methinks it's unwise to say anything negative about a sitting president. Jose might find himself in the limelight a little more than he wants.

#7 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:33 PM

Jose must have been offered alot of Money is all i can $ay

#8 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:45 PM

And if the guy is making a buck by ratting out people... well... he couldn't rat them out if they weren't doing anything wrong could he? I mean... it's sad sometimes when people who "tell on" someone are raked over more coals than the person who actually did something wrong.

You don't think you can "rat out" someone if they aren't doing something wrong? You can all kinds of comments about people that aren't true. Its their word against yours. If you make those claims, even if not true, there will always be people who believe the lie, who believe that where there is smoke, there must be fire. Once the story is out there it will never die. You don't believe it. Take a look at Snopes or other hoax busting sights. Any number of stories, particularly about political figures are forwarded every day, some with roots that go back 20 or more years and have even changed targets over the years, that never die because there is always someone who wants to believe the worst.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:29 AM

You don't think you can "rat out" someone if they aren't doing something wrong? You can all kinds of comments about people that aren't true. Its their word against yours. If you make those claims, even if not true, there will always be people who believe the lie, who believe that where there is smoke, there must be fire. Once the story is out there it will never die. You don't believe it.

That's an entirely different discussion... If Canseco is making stuff up or lying... then he isn't "ratting" someone out... he is slandering them... and he should be smacked as many ways to Sunday as possible for doing that.

But if what he is saying is true... then I can't find fault in him for saying true things that people don't want to hear.

So it's clear where I am on the fence... Slander=bad... Ratting=good.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...