Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TV Viewers Contact FCC on Significantly Viewed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:21 AM

While the proposal has been out only for a few days, consumers are contacting the Federal Communications Commission concerning its work on rules governing satellite delivery of significantly viewed stations.

See the full article here:
http://www.skyreport.com/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:22 PM

Gor88 I viewed "The List" for the county in Mississippi I live in. Alcorn County Mississippi. As I understand it we (Alcorn County) Residents who have Direc Tv are still going to continue receiving All of the Memphis, Tennessee Local Channels But we aren't going to be getting the Supposed to be "Significantly Viewed" Channels WTVA- Channel 9 and WCBI Channel 4- Columbus for our Local North Mississippi News. I am pretty mad about that. We should be allowed to receive That Tupelo Channel 9 channel. The Local Cable Company here Carries All of Memphis Locals and WTVA Channel 9- Tupelo. :nono2: Significantly Viewed Won't help me out a bit. :nono2:

#3 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:44 PM

While the proposal has been out only for a few days, consumers are contacting the Federal Communications Commission concerning its work on rules governing satellite delivery of significantly viewed stations.

See the full article here:
http://www.skyreport.com/

Is this a great country or what?

Now, you see, JL? Even if the FCC cannot act on the 10,000 comments, the press could pick up the story and run with it. (Because the comments will be a matter of public record.)

And unlike our President, many members of Congress actually read newspapers and could be influenced by the coverage........

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:45 PM

Now, you see, JL?

Try not to get personal.

If you have to waste the FCC's time to get a message to your congressman it is a shame. The FCC isn't going to fix the problem (other than the normal addition of channels to THE LIST under their existing rules).

JL

#5 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:18 PM

Joblo,

It's OK. JL does have a valid point. If nothing else, though, it will indicate to the FCC and, indirectly, Congress that we are interested in this issue.

I plan to notify the local FOX affiliate regarding requesting SV status. The station can provide the proper justification. I now believe that the stations should be contacted regarding this. Some of them may take interest.

#6 OFFLINE   jstrick

jstrick

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:46 PM

Hello MSGuy, I live in Lee County Just North of Tupelo and agree with you that you should receive Tupelo stations. I do think that with a good antenna you should be able to recielve Tupelo- Columbus stations I used to live in Iuka and could recieve them there very well. I really think that all of North Ms should be able to recielve all of the Memphis stations and Tupelo-Columbus it just makes since. By the way where I live w/ outdoor antenna I can receive the Memphis stations a couple of Tuscaloosa stations and sometimes channel 7 Jackson TN all at least 85 mi from the towers

#7 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:15 PM

Hello JStrick. I took Gor88's advice and e-mailed the Station Engineer at WTVA Channel 9. I e-mailed him asking if there was anything he could do about getting channel 9 here for Alcorn Co. Residents. I don't know if he can do anything. But we need that North Mississippi Channel bad for local News and Weather and such things of the like. Also WBBJ TV Channel 7 in Jackson, Tennessee is on local Comcast Cable in The Corinth and Alcorn County area but I don't think that Jackson, Tennessee Station is on DBS yet. It's a smaller market ABC Affiliate in Jackson, Tennessee.

#8 OFFLINE   jstrick

jstrick

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:41 PM

Msguy do you know if the spobeams for the Memphis and Tupelo -Columbus stations of North Mississippi I would think so but don't know?

#9 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 06:42 AM

Tupelo-Columbus receives channels from both the Memphis and Nashville spotbeams. In this case, WTVA is on the Memphis spotbeam. For reference, WCBI and WMAE reside on the Nashville spot.

#10 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:13 PM

If you have to waste the FCC's time to get a message to your congressman it is a shame.

Indeed, it is. But there's no IQ test to run for Congress.....

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 04:48 PM

Indeed, it is. But there's no IQ test to run for Congress.....

There is one. They are elected based on the IQ of those who voted for them.

JL

#12 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 07:31 PM

Gor88 Knows more about the spotbeam info than i do. I think that Memphis and Tupelo are all on the same spotbeam. Those markets are so close together they overlap. Just a note to Gor88. I e-mailed WTVA's station Engineer and still have heard nothing back and now it is Friday Night. I doubt i will hear anything back from the station till atleast Monday of next week it being the weekend now and all. Maybe That station engineer doesn't know all the details about significantly viewed channels yet?

#13 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 05:49 AM

Memphis and Tupelo were on the same spotbeam initially. However, DirecTV added WPXX PAX50 to the Memphis package. As a result, they had to move at least one Tupelo-Columbus station somewhere. The Nashville spot had three open positions. DirecTV moved WCBI and WMAE to the Nashville spot at that time.

There is now room for one more channel on the Memphis spot. Hopefully, it will be WCBI-DT 35 sub 2, which is UPN MS for Tupelo-Columbus.

#14 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 08:55 PM

Gor88 What do you think about WCBI CBS4 in Columbus and WTVA Channel 9 NBC coming to my county? Think there is a chance they will be added? What about WLOV?

#15 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 06:11 AM

Msguy,

There may be a possibility for WCBI to be added. I am less certain about WLOV, since it is UHF.

The question I would ask is: Are all these channels currently on the cable systems in Alcorn county? If so, there is a chance. The stations need to be contacted about this. The contact for WLOV and WKDH is the same one for WTVA. That engineer manages all three stations, which sit on the same tower near Woodland, MS.

WCBI's engineer can't be contacted directly. Send an email to comments@wcbi.com and ask who you should speak to about having WCBI added as a significantly viewed station in Alcorn county.

#16 OFFLINE   zman977

zman977

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:19 PM

Here's something I've been wondering. I live in La Salle county Illinois, get Chicago locals which are on the main satelite locations and 61.5/148. According to the SV stations list we qualify to get two Peoria stations and one Quad city station. Peoria and the Quad Cities, Moline IL, Davenport IA, Burlington, IA & Rock Island Illinois for those who don't know the Quad Cities, are on the superdish. How does Dish plan to make that work. Am I going to need a superdish to receive the SV stations? Will they charge me to have one installed?

#17 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:19 AM

Gor88 in Alcorn Co. There are 2 Cable Companies. Comcast Cable and North Mississippi Cable. Comcast Cable carries WTVA Channel 9 But Not WCBI. North Mississippi Cable Carries WTVA and WCBI. I'm thinking we'd receive WTVA before we would receive WCBI. Columbus is about an hour further south of Tupelo.

#18 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:59 AM

Gor88 in Alcorn Co. There are 2 Cable Companies. Comcast Cable and North Mississippi Cable. Comcast Cable carries WTVA Channel 9 But Not WCBI. North Mississippi Cable Carries WTVA and WCBI. I'm thinking we'd receive WTVA before we would receive WCBI. Columbus is about an hour further south of Tupelo.

That would seem true. However, the WCBI tower is a mere 4 miles east of the tower housing WTVA, WLOV, and WKDH. Since one cable company does carry it, you might be able to convince WCBI to work on getting it added.

#19 OFFLINE   steve594

steve594

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:24 AM

Also on the Iuka cable company they receive at least 1 Huntsville station and
possibly a station from Florence, Al that is pretty close by. I do not receive Iuka cable but I use my vacation home at Iuka near Pickwick but in Alcorn Co. so I have
some interest in these stations. This address gets the Distants and I guess would be able to add the Memphis and others if SV goes through and I could afford them.
I would like to receive these additional ones, the 3 Memphis stations would be nice.

#20 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:01 PM

Hello Steve. Recently in my local newspaper i read where Iuka's Cable Company is supposed to be changing hands with new upgrades? I'm guessing they will be switching over to Digital Cable. Like the way Comcast Switched to that in Alcorn County about 2 years ago. It didn't help matters any with reception :lol: Especially for the Locals.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...