Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TV Viewers Contact FCC on Significantly Viewed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   statedogg

statedogg

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:05 PM

Maybe one of you can shed some hope for me on locals now with the SV element added. In Jackson county ms our local cable carries: CBS 4 WWL New Orleans, NBC WDSU New Orleans, ABC 3 WEAR Pensecola, CBS 5 WKRG Mobile, Fox 10 WALA Mobile, NBC 15 WPMI Mobile, and FOX 25 WXXV Biloxi, and ABC 13 WLOX Biloxi.
All the mobile/pensecola stations are on the FCC's current list of SV in my county. We have no local in local coverage foe either of the biloxi stations, but D* offers all Mobile and New Orleans channels. What would you think our chances of getting the Mobile stations here?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:41 AM

Maybe one of you can shed some hope for me on locals now with the SV element added. In Jackson county ms our local cable carries: CBS 4 WWL New Orleans, NBC WDSU New Orleans, ABC 3 WEAR Pensecola, CBS 5 WKRG Mobile, Fox 10 WALA Mobile, NBC 15 WPMI Mobile, and FOX 25 WXXV Biloxi, and ABC 13 WLOX Biloxi.
All the mobile/pensecola stations are on the FCC's current list of SV in my county. We have no local in local coverage foe either of the biloxi stations, but D* offers all Mobile and New Orleans channels. What would you think our chances of getting the Mobile stations here?

According to the existing list, you will receive 3, 5, 10, and 15 (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) for sure. Those will be available for DirecTV to offer.

However, it will depend on whether or not DirecTV will offer significantly viewed stations. Also, I think that the rules mandate that you receive your local channels to get significantly viewed. You might have to wait until the three Biloxi-Gulfport stations are made available.

#23 OFFLINE   Maphisto's Sidekick

Maphisto's Sidekick

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:20 PM

While the proposal has been out only for a few days, consumers are contacting the Federal Communications Commission concerning its work on rules governing satellite delivery of significantly viewed stations.

See the full article here:
http://www.skyreport.com/

Poking around the FCC website, it appears that submitted comments are publicly viewable....

...all 18 of them.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:25 AM

Poking around the FCC website, it appears that submitted comments are publicly viewable....

...all 18 of them.

Yep, they better be viewable. This is a public proceeding.

I wonder how many comments have been improperly filed with no docket number or emailed to the wrong place. I know from prior reports that the FCC gets a lot of response on issues - but unless people know what they are doing those responses become "informal comments" in a footnote.

Now that we are a few weeks in to the comments period hopefully people have calmed down enough from the inital shock to READ the notice and RESPOND to what was written within. For those rational people who want to comment:

Visit http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/ecfs/
Click on Submit a Filing on the right column
The proceeding is 05-49 (But you would know that if you read the FCC's release - PLEASE read/re-read the FCC's release before commenting if you want to be heard in context.)
Fill out all of the required cover sheet information and attach your comments (if you have them in an uploadable format) OR
Fill out all of the required cover sheet information and type your brief comments in the box provided.

There are some good comments among the 18 properly filed under 05-49 (and some weaker comments too). There is still room for more good comments. :)

Remember - all properly filed comments will be made PUBLIC!

JL

#25 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:32 PM

There are some good comments among the 18 properly filed under 05-49 (and some weaker comments too).JL

Gee, I hope that my comment is one of the good comments in your eyes! ;)

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:15 PM

Gee, I hope that my comment is one of the good comments in your eyes! ;)

They are decent and seem to be thought out. That's "good".

JL

spam firewall