Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish 522 NBR Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ilovfriday

ilovfriday

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:10 AM

I am so sorry to post another 522 question, looks like you have a few of them... I truly tried searching but did not see the answer to my question.

I am looking at replacing a Dish 301 that is currently connected to a Tivo SA for a family member with a new Dish 522 since dish now has NBR. The NBR was a requirement for going with a Dish PVR....

My question is: Will the NBR in the 522 not record Re-Runs or repeats if you instruct it not to? TiVo and Media Center (which I use) has this option, with out it I will never convince them to switch.

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but it was not coming up on a search.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JohnL

JohnL

Icon

• Registered
  • 701 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:39 AM

I am so sorry to post another 522 question, looks like you have a few of them... I truly tried searching but did not see the answer to my question.

I am looking at replacing a Dish 301 that is currently connected to a Tivo SA for a family member with a new Dish 522 since dish now has NBR. The NBR was a requirement for going with a Dish PVR....

My question is: Will the NBR in the 522 not record Re-Runs or repeats if you instruct it not to? TiVo and Media Center (which I use) has this option, with out it I will never convince them to switch.

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but it was not coming up on a search.

Friday,

When you setup up an event timer with the 522's NBR sofware there are several options; record it once, or all new episodes, or all episodes as well as a few other options. When setup this way the receiver will ONLY record episodes on that particular channel. If you want to catch a show in syndication that could air on multiple channels then you can use Dish Pass.

With Dish Pass the software will search the entire guide daily for a the search string you input either in the title of the show or the description of the show. BTW the software will NOT record multiple repeats of the same episode either. Say you set the receiver to do a Dish Pass search for Seinfeld and Seinfeld airs on Monday and is recorded and the same episode airs on tuesday on a different channel then the Dish Pass software will NOT record the second occurance of the same epsiode.

John

#3 OFFLINE   ilovfriday

ilovfriday

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:12 AM

Friday,

When you setup up an event timer with the 522's NBR sofware there are several options; record it once, or all new episodes, or all episodes as well as a few other options. When setup this way the receiver will ONLY record episodes on that particular channel. If you want to catch a show in syndication that could air on multiple channels then you can use Dish Pass.

With Dish Pass the software will search the entire guide daily for a the search string you input either in the title of the show or the description of the show. BTW the software will NOT record multiple repeats of the same episode either. Say you set the receiver to do a Dish Pass search for Seinfeld and Seinfeld airs on Monday and is recorded and the same episode airs on tuesday on a different channel then the Dish Pass software will NOT record the second occurance of the same epsiode.

John

Thank for the info, that helped... But I am still not clear.... Let's say that I setup up a NBR for E.R. to record all "New" episodes... Say for example I recorded ER last night. When the season ends in a few month that same episode of ER will air again sometime this summer, will it see this as a re-run or will it re-record this episiode because it has not see in it in the last 2 weeks?

I guess what I am getting at, does Dish use the repeat tag from the Guide data?

#4 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:28 AM

Dish currently uses the YEAR to determin new shows so everything dated 2005 that you do not already have recorded will be considered new. So if it repeats after you've deleated your copy it will be considered new and record again.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#5 OFFLINE   ilovfriday

ilovfriday

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:24 PM

Dish currently uses the YEAR to determin new shows so everything dated 2005 that you do not already have recorded will be considered new. So if it repeats after you've deleated your copy it will be considered new and record again.

Okay, that cleared it up! Thanks for the help guys.

#6 OFFLINE   JohnL

JohnL

Icon

• Registered
  • 701 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:07 PM

Except, if you still have that same episode on your DVR's hard drive then it would not record.

John

#7 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:29 PM

Except, if you still have that same episode on your DVR's hard drive then it would not record.

John

John, check what you quoted. You'll see I said if it repeats after you've deleated your copy. Which to most people means you no longer have the episode in question on your DVR's harddrive.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...