Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NHL TV Deal?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bradh21

bradh21

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

If ESPN does not pick up the option for the 2005-2006 Season.

However, NBC has a 1 year, revenue sharing broadcast network
NHL Contract with a 2 year option.

Do you think USA and CNBC should be interested to bid the cable rights
to televise National Hockey League games beginning
next season?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CapeFish

CapeFish

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:43 PM

If ESPN does not pick up the option for the 2005-2006 Season.

However, NBC has a 1 year, revenue sharing broadcast network
NHL Contract with a 2 year option.

Do you think USA and CNBC should be interested to bid the cable rights
to televise National Hockey League games beginning
next season?

I think that if the NHL extended the agreement they have with NBC on a barter basis to USA, CNBC, and/or Bravo.....the NHL could see it happen.

#3 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:04 PM

I doubt the NHL will be back even next year. They can't come to an agreement. The sport is badley wrecked. It's beyond Mayday. It's just about crashed and in flames. There little stunt last weekend they pulled when ESPN was reporting a deal was about to happen that fell through sealed the deal for alot of people. Although if CNBC could get hockey there ratings might go up slightly with hockey than it is currently with the Dennis Miller Show :lol:

#4 OFFLINE   anselmo1

anselmo1

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:00 PM

What network in their right mind would offer the NHL a TV contract? Their ratings last year were horrid to say the least on ESPN. Their numbers on cable were so dismal that this years substitute programming has doubled the NHL's ratings over last year.

#5 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:37 AM

I'm beginning to think that the NHL is going to disappear with a different league taking over as the "major league" of hockey. It will most likely have a salary cap in place so expenses will be held in check and a smaller TV contract can be negotiated. I think it would be great to see a network that has an HD channel availability (like USA via UniversalHD) pick up the contract.

Hockey just doesn't appear to be an A-level TV sporting event so a smaller network picking it up could be a GREAT thing since they would promote it more heavily than a bigger network. NHL was a bust for the major networks but it would be a boost for some of the smaller ones.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:45 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk, Anselmo :hi:

I'm up in Amherst every other day, I attend class at ITT Tech on Millersport :)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#7 OFFLINE   anselmo1

anselmo1

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:16 AM

I bet you go over to Besta Pizza or Burrito Bay for lunch! Both are great places as well as the chicken wings at Elmo's! Thank you for the welcome! :)

spam firewall