Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Loss of satellite signal with splitter in OTA antenna line

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmassa

cmassa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:41 PM

I just installed a DirecTV HD-Tivo (HR10-250). I have two RG6 lines to the receiver form the dish. I have a Terk TV-50 going into line 2 with diplexors. This works fine except that I need to split the antenna line and route it to my computer as well for a tuner card. When I put a splitter in the OTA antenna cable above the outside diplexer I get no signal from satellite line 2 but the antenna now works fine on the computer. How can I remedy this?

Chris

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:46 PM

From your description, Chris, it sounds like you're doing something different than you describe. It sounds to me like you're splitting the line after the diplexor, rather than before it. You must split the OTA line between the antenna and the diplexor. And, of course, you'd be better off running a dedicated OTA cable.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   cmassa

cmassa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:38 PM

I am splitting the line before the diplexer. Getting another line into the living room would be quite difficult. Could the power module for the Terk antenna play a role at all? I have it before the diplexer as well.

Chris

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:12 PM

I'm a little out of my element here, but you are using a DC-Pass splitter, and both sides of the diplexor are DC-pass aren't they? If not to either one of those, that may be the problem.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#5 OFFLINE   cmassa

cmassa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:24 PM

The diplexers both say DC pass on them (both sat and ant). I don't know about the splitter. It is an RCA model that I got at Home Depot. It has one port in and two out. It does not say anything about passing DC on it. Should it?

Chris

#6 OFFLINE   goodcableguy

goodcableguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:52 PM

It is evident that it most likely is not there for you are not getting power through it. Most splitters that are DC passing will have a solid line from the In to one of the Outs.
Have a Great Day

#7 OFFLINE   cmassa

cmassa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:14 PM

What kind of splitter do I actually need? One that passes DC or one that does not. The amplifier and the splitter are before the diplexer in the line. I think the amplifier may be in the antenna itself (pre-amp?). The little unit in the line may be just the power source and is before the splitter.

Oh well, I may change to a DB4 antenna anyway.

Chris

#8 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:07 PM

What's the definition of "before" and "after" here?

Note that the satellite receiver MUST "own" the DC path on the cable.

That is, ANY OTA power inserter MUST be "beyond" or "outside" of the satellite signal path, including the shared cable section.

If your antenna amplifier can accept 13-20VDC VARIABLE, it MIGHT be able to run using just the receiver's power output.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#9 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:46 AM

Best bet is NEVER use a Terk ota, run a RG-6 cable for ota

#10 OFFLINE   CharlesA

CharlesA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:35 AM

If you were to look upstream from your computer tuner card, what componets will you see as you follow the coax?

I believe it should be: tuner card, splitter, diplexer.

is there a power inserter for the amplified OTA? Where is it?

do you have 110vt power in the attic by the antenna?

#11 OFFLINE   cmassa

cmassa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:56 AM

Here is a diagram of the setup I tried.

The Power inserter is in the attic near the antenna and is plugged into an AC outlet. The splitter and diplexer are also in the attic.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• Antenna Diagram.jpg

#12 OFFLINE   goodcableguy

goodcableguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:54 PM

If you are using the bow tie that wraps around the top of your dish, yes the preamp is in the antenna, it piggy backs its power from the receiver. You must go to the antenna then to the LNB as receiver powers both, at least the ones I have seen.
Have a Great Day

#13 OFFLINE   cmassa

cmassa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:06 PM

The antenna is a Terk TV50 which is a long bar. It is mounted in the attic. I'm not having trouble with power to the antenna. When I put the splitter in the antenna cable as shown in the diagram, the satellite signal cuts out. If I take the splitter out, no problems but then I don't have an antenna to the tuner card in my computer.

Chris

#14 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:23 PM

Your drawing looks good but where's the OTHER diplexor???
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#15 OFFLINE   cmassa

cmassa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:00 PM

I just didn't draw it in. Its at the receiver.

#16 OFFLINE   defiant324

defiant324

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:29 PM

DirectTV works on a combo of the following:Voltage, Polarity (left handed or right handed) and 22Khz tone. The voltage changes (13vdc or 18vdc) is used for switching from one transponder to the other. 13 vdc is for the odd right hand polarity transponders, 28 vdc is for the even left hand polarity ones. The 22khz tone comes into play when switching to the 110 satellite and it is only used with 18vdc. THe device I think you may be looking for is a DirectTV approved Multiswitch designed to work with what I described about and give multiple feeds to each room in the home. You can only watch different things in each room if each one has its own individual receiver. Otherwise, you'll just have the same channel in each room,. It's called mirroring. I think you may just need a multiswitch but I'm not totally sure I'm clear one what you're trying to accomplish.

#17 OFFLINE   defiant324

defiant324

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:30 PM

correction on my typo above: 18 vdc is for the even left hand polarity ones.

spam firewall