Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Espn Blackouts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mgmrick

mgmrick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:24 AM

Now espn is blacking out basketball games??? Directv sd channel espn blacked out the syracuse boston game here in central ny. I live in a zipcode with timewarner cable but cable is not avaible here in my town.

The game was on my hd receiver but not able to record it as my tivo's are sd

Thanks
Rick

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,227 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:14 PM

It was blacked out because the Syracuse game was broadcast on a local channel there, resulting in that local feed being the only one permitted to show it in its area.

#3 OFFLINE   mgmrick

mgmrick

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:45 AM

That is wrong... It was broadcast on a cable only channel. Cable is not in my town..

Who can you contact. I tried once before on this issue and got no where.

Thanks
Rick

#4 OFFLINE   Ed_Roch

Ed_Roch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:01 PM

Time Warner signed a contract with ESPN for exclusive boradcast rights for six games in Central NY. I live in Rochester, which also carried the game on TW's WB, but it still was available here on ESPN. I know I read it wasn't on in the Syracuse area.

The only people you could contact I guess would be ESPN to complain to them if you had bought Full Court for the purpose of watching SU games and now they are blacking out. Tell them you won't purchase again, however they likely are getting more $$ from TW for exclusive rights than they'd lose from people like you. I know I was thinkinf of buying Full Court next year, but this will make me more careful to verify that SU games will be on before I'd purchase.

#5 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:39 AM

The CSR will just pull out the "Big Book of Why The Customer Is Always Wrong" and quote some paragraph which he or she does not understand in attempting to convince you that whatever you saw or did not see was exactly correct.

#6 OFFLINE   JohnL

JohnL

Icon

• Registered
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:29 AM

The CSR will just pull out the "Big Book of Why The Customer Is Always Wrong" and quote some paragraph which he or she does not understand in attempting to convince you that whatever you saw or did not see was exactly correct.

Sam,

Just because you have an AXE to grind with Dish for some personal reason doesn't make it right for you to make some thing up when somebody wants to the reason why something happens. BTW Both DirecTV and Dish had to black out the ESPN feed in Central NY.

Bottomline Time Warner owns local rights for several Several Syracuse games. I wonder why they did this, gee is it because Time Warner is trying to force Syracuse fans to drop DBS service and get Local Time Warner service. No, that couldn't possibly reason, WRONG that is EXACTLY the reason.

Time Warner in Rochester did much the same thing when a Local UPN station bid for Syracuse games. Time Warner smeared the local station, saying that many local viewers would not be able to get the games because the Local UPN station was not on the Cable System (The result of Time Warner's refusal to even consider carrying them). The end result was Time Warner got the contract and several months later the Local UPN station was allowed on cable.

Sure, not all companies serve or satisfy everybody, but I hate the policies of the local Time Warner cable company to the point that I would pay more to DBS if need be (BTW its not Time Warner is vastly more expensive than DBS service in our area). Time Warner SUCKS in the Price points, and service in my opinion, but I wouldn't dictate or make stuff up because I have an axe to grind. The facts are the facts and I choose DBS. I could go on as to why I don't like them but suffice it to say their Cable drop will never come into my home for Cable TV, I do have Earthlink High speed with a Motorola Modem over the local Cable companies wires, which is cheaper for some reason over Time Warner Road Runner service, even with the same modem, Network, bandwidth, go figure.

John

#7 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:39 AM

To be fair, at least half of the calls D/E get about blackouts are from the truly clueless, such as those who didn't notice that the Sports Pack won't let them see all the pro sports on the OOM RSNs. Because of this, the level-one screen-reader CSRs anywhere will tend to knee-jerk with the answers that quickly satisfy those clueless callers.

I often wish there was some secret password or code I could give CSRs when I call to show that I'm not clueless. Except that every now and then, I am. ;)
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...