Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR 522 & music

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sturdyworks

sturdyworks

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

I would like to store music on my DVR 522, but the USB port and smart card slot seem to fakes. Any ideas? Any aftermarket upgrades or hacker tricks?

I would also need to play the music some how. Maybe a MS Media Center 2005 PC is what I need :-( Right now I rent the system month to month from SBC/Yahoo in Los Angeles.

Sturdyworks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:38 AM

I would like to store music on my DVR 522, but the USB port and smart card slot seem to fakes. Any ideas? Any aftermarket upgrades or hacker tricks?

I would also need to play the music some how. Maybe a MS Media Center 2005 PC is what I need :-( Right now I rent the system month to month from SBC/Yahoo in Los Angeles.

Sturdyworks

1: The actual smart card is now internal, it is officially a dummy slot.
2: Read the manual, the usb port is for future use. (even on the oldest E* receivers, they state for future use which has never come about.)
3. Call up any CSR at DishNetwork, give them your account number, name, and address, and let them know you are looking for aftermarket upgrades or hacker tricks to modify their equipment. If you don't get nowhere with them, email ceo@echostar.net

Good luck
DNSC_Installer

We get it up, We get it in, We get it on.....

#3 OFFLINE   stonecold

stonecold

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 583 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:47 AM

YOu have a number of problems with what you said.

1. the smart card slot is not fake just disabled in the firmware. ( call when someo one figures out how to hack dish embeded smart card then they will enable the smart card and come out with a new smart card to put in said slot)
2. USB is real again just disabled in the firmware.

Even if it was the hard drive is an encrypted XFS partition drive useing Dish Linux, so you simply can not use it as a over size external hd. There are more issues why you cant do what you want but I will just leave it at those.

#4 OFFLINE   stonecold

stonecold

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 583 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:19 AM

1: The actual smart card is now internal, it is officially a dummy slot.
2: Read the manual, the usb port is for future use. (even on the oldest E* receivers, they state for future use which has never come about.)
3. Call up any CSR at DishNetwork, give them your account number, name, and address, and let them know you are looking for aftermarket upgrades or hacker tricks to modify their equipment. If you don't get nowhere with them, email ceo@echostar.net

Good luck

Note that after market modifcations are perfectly illegal hacker tricks are legal as they dont resort in reciving free tv. But all this is only legal on owned dish networked equipment and not leased equipment. And yes he is leasing that 522. But I wanted to draw that line the dish mod group is perfectly legal.

spam firewall