Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Broadcast flag

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:07 AM

Good news for consumers, a Federal Appeals court stated that the FCC had overstepped their bounds in the implementation of the broadcast flag.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:11 AM

For those that have no idea what a broadcast flag might be...

http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#3 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 04:34 PM

Good news for consumers, a Federal Appeals court stated that the FCC had overstepped their bounds in the implementation of the broadcast flag.

Could you post a link or tell us where you saw this. I did a quick google and couldn't anything recent.

Robert

#4 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 04:58 PM

Here's one of about 6 or 7--Reuters and Yahoo also.
http://abcnews.go.co...TC-RSSFeeds0312

#5 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:37 PM

Thanks Geeze,

Rueters.. Yahoo...never heard of those. I always Google and if if it doesn't show up on the big G then it must not exist. :D

The court decision looks shaky a best.

I've followed this whole broadcast flag thing since the beginning and it's serious business in my estimation. To me it plays into the whole George Orwell 1984 "how will we control the masses" conspiracy theory. The problem is you'll end up with a few bigshots deciding what we can watch and when.

Looks like it's time to order that HD PC tuner card before this summer.

Robert

#6 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:40 PM

Yeah, I am seriously contemplating setting up a system to run mythtv on.

#7 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:06 AM

While this is encouraging, remember that it hasn't been shot down yet. One justice just said it, not the entire panel.

The thing that I find amazing was reported in this story:

The FCC's lawyer, Jacob Lewis, acknowledged the agency never had exercised such ancillary power but maintained it was permitted by Congress since lawmakers didn't explicitly outlaw it.

Since when does someone get carte blanche treatment just because someone else didn't explicitly say they couldn't? That sounds a lot like an argument my kids would use. "Well you didn't say we couldn't do it so we thought it would be ok". I now declare myself the sole dictator of DBSTalk and get to run here how I want. Nobody has said I couldn't so it has to be legal!

#8 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:23 AM

I find it not only "amazing" but freightning as well. The potential for regulatory abuse is staggering if the nonsense from this FCC lawyer is allowed to pass muster. I hope our "balance of power" doctrine between the exexutive, legislative and judicial branches kicks into gear and squishes this ugly bug before it's allowed to breed.

The broadcast flag is just bad public policy. Hollywood needs to learn to embrace new technology and profit from it rather than try to crush everything that comes along.

#9 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:12 AM

A follow up article, interesting viewpoint from technology review.
http://www.technolog...505.asp?trk=top

spam firewall