Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Coach Chaney. Three games suspension enough?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:26 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1999665

I felt that a three game suspension was a little light considering that a player ended up with a broken arm after Coach Chaney sent a player into the game with the sole purpose of roughing up the other team. A player may get a three game suspension for rough play, but when a coach deliberately has a young man under his authority to do things that end up causing physical harm, the penalty should be more harsh. I feel like the NCAA would be justified for suspending him for the remainder of the season.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 12:22 AM

This has absolutely no place in amateur sports. Chaney should be fired and banned from college sports. How disgusting.
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#3 OFFLINE   shy007

shy007

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:57 AM

Chaney should have been fired years ago..... The player should receive some type of punishment..... If someone tells you to go harm someone, you have to answer for it someway..... His punishment should not be severe but he's gotta receive some type of punishment..... It's kinda like a hitman.....

#4 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 06:35 PM

Your point on thumping the player is a good one. Can't image what was going through his mind either!!

The reason I like high school and college sports so much more than their pro brethren is you usually don't have this sort of crap. It's pretty much pure athletics.
John Anthony
E* since ‘96

#5 OFFLINE   SAEMike

SAEMike

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:14 AM

If this was John Smith from Middle State University, he would have been fired. There is no place for this type of behavior, particularly in amateur sports.

#6 OFFLINE   dummyproof

dummyproof

Godfather

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:47 AM

I get the feeling that we will be hearing about a possible assault charge. Any prosecutor could easily show that this was premeditated and with at least some form of wreckless negligence. One word ...Bertuzzi. As bad as the Bertuzzi incident? ...no way, but it was definitely actions that were in no way a part of competitive play.
I haven't heard anybody mention this yet(asking for charges to be filed), but this is far from over.

[edit]
At 8:48am EST ...about an hour after I emailed Mike and Mike on ESPN radio, Greenie made mention of Bertuzzi in relation to the Chaney incident.
[edit]

#7 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:09 AM

I really feel for the young man with the broken arm. This could really damge his chances of getting into a pro or semi-pro league somewhere.

#8 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:28 PM

If this was John Smith from Middle State University, he would have been fired. There is no place for this type of behavior, particularly in amateur sports.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. In Chaney's case, I think the only reason he wasn't fired outright is that after all of his years, the school wants to let him make the decision to retire. I suspect we'll see that announcement in the not too distant future.
John Anthony
E* since ‘96

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:45 PM

As I understand it... Coach Cheney has been suspended for the remainder of the season... it just happens that there are only 3 games left for Temple, unless they win their conference tournament or get an NIT invite. I have not yet heard if Temple would allow him to coach in post-season action if that comes into play.

I have kinda mixed feelings about things... On the one hand, we berate players for not doing what their coaches say to do... but on the other we think players should know better sometimes than to blindly obey orders... so I really feel badly not just for the guy with the broken arm... but for the "goon" sent in by Cheney... imagine what that guy has to be thinking...

Guy hardly ever gets any playing time... coach sends him in with instructions to "hard foul"... and he probably thinks he'd better do what coach says... even if he isn't sure how he feels about it... after all, coach can determine whether he is on the team or keeps his scholarship, etc...

As for coach Cheney... If I knew nothing else about the man, this would be telling enough of an incident... but when you figure he is a guy who has been in coaching for a very long time... he really has to know better than to send in a kid and give him instructions to intentionally hard foul another kid.

I get that Cheney was unhappy with the officiating... but that's a matter he can take up with the refs... even get himself ejected if he feels his team is getting robbed and complain afterwards... but don't send in a kid as an enforcer to get back at the refs... That makes no sense.

Personally... this is the kind of thing he should lose his job over. I hate to say that... but if that kind of thing happens at almost any other place of employment, he'd be gone.

#10 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:48 PM

Reminds me of the Woody Hayes saga where he socked an opposing football player who had just made a big yardage gain. At least Woody had the guts to do it himself.

#11 OFFLINE   dummyproof

dummyproof

Godfather

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:21 PM

SportsCenter at 6:18 Monday night just mentioned the words "assault charge", first time I have heard anybody mention it so far. At the very least, we'll see a civil lawsuit over this.

spam firewall