Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network extended warranty info

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 08:44 AM

FYI

About a month ago I purchased a used PVR501 from another forum member. I just called Dish Network and asked them if they offer extended warranties to customers who buy used equipment. To my surprise they do for $1.99 a month. Not a bad deal if you want the security of having a warranty on something you buy on e-bay or from other DN customers.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 09:06 AM

I pay the $1.99 a month as well. All of my equipment went out of warrenty in April. Considering the frequent hard drive problems with the 501 and general sense of fragility of the switches (especially the sw44 and sw64), I think it's a good deal. Plus, living here in Denver means that I never have to pay the shipping charges - I drive 6 miles down the road to the warehouse to swap components out when needed. :D
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 09:20 AM

I am on the extended warranty as well, its a good deal. I should note that when you sign up for it you are commited to keep it for a year (the Warranty that is)

Still a good deal!

#4 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 09:26 AM

Is this for all of your DISH equipment, including all
activated receivers?

If so, it could be an especially great deal for households
that have an excessive amount of DISH equipment.

#5 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 09:38 AM

Originally posted by RJS1111111
Is this for all of your DISH equipment, including all
activated receivers?

If so, it could be an especially great deal for households
that have an excessive amount of DISH equipment.

It covers ALL equipment.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,936 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 June 2002 - 09:45 AM

Isn't extended warranty party of Dish's lease plan aka Digital Home Plan?

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 20 June 2002 - 09:59 AM

"If so, it could be an especially great deal for households
that have an excessive amount of DISH equipment."

Huh??? :confused:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nickster :smoking:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 10:10 PM

It's actually BETTER than the DHP In Home Service Plan, because it even covers lightning/power surges. And, it basically covers any equipment with the DISH logo on it. You can drop it before a year, but there is a $20 cancellation fee. Also, you can't file a claim for 30 days after it is added to your account. --- Justin

#9 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 11:55 PM

To my understanding it does NOT cover lightning or power surges, and I have also been told that you must sign up right before the original warranty is out which is within the end of the first year you had service but I dont know if that is true or not.

For those that have 501 it is a MUST HAVE to get this, especially if you have more than 501 on an account.

I wonder if the 721 hard drives are having failures just like the 501's have had or if they actually learned their lessons and made a real good hard drive this time.

#10 OFFLINE   Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 June 2002 - 12:36 AM

It does, or at least used to the last time I checked, cover lightning. I have had customers who had DISH 3 or 4 years call and have it added on. I get solicitations in my bill pretty regularly to add the extended warranty, and my account is about 5 years old. I agree, it is definitely a must for the PVR receivers.

#11 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 11:26 AM

For those who upgraded the DP HDs, they won't be covered. You voided the warranty once you performed the upgrade (as I found out the hard way).
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

#12 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 08:41 PM

I wonder why they do not advertise this 1.99 coverage, a LOT LOT LOT More poeple would have it if they would and this would generate income for them. Everyone I tell about it is interested in it. I am surprised its only 1.99 a month considering how much it would cost to replace 2-4 receivers that might get zapped by lightening let alone 1. They should advertise it on their monthly statements, on channel 101, and as an ad like they do ppv while there is a commercial break.

#13 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 11:59 AM

I just had my first experience (to be completed soon) with the coverage. Kudos again to Dish.

I had two Dishplayers with issues, one major, one minor. Got the warranty 800 number, called up and in 5 minutes, they processed the request and are sending out two new Dishplayers (maybe refurbs. I just swap them out of the box with the old ones and send them back. E* picks up the shipping bill both ways.

Good deal, worth my 2 missed sodas each month.
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

#14 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 12:12 PM

I have it as well. It covers everything from the LNB down to your receivers. You must have it activated for 30 days before making a claim. This is the only extended warranty offer I have ever used as it is definitely a bargain. With a 6000 and a 501, it would be a big chunk of change to replace them. I also keep all of my equipment protected with a surge/UPS battery backup system.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#15 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 12:28 PM

the only think it doesn't cover is the coax cable but that is chump change anyways.

#16 OFFLINE   dlsnyder

dlsnyder

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 01:55 PM

Does it only cover Echostar branded equipment? I have a Philips branded 2700/2800 as well as an Echostar 3800/3900.

#17 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 11:05 PM

Dont forget the rca brand they have out now. Does this warranty cover the pyramid cones, uhf antenna, and other extra dish branded accessories, or just the contents that come in the satellite box?

#18 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 07:30 AM

boy now that I am getting the 721 I am REALLY glad I bought this extended warranty!!!!

#19 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 07:39 AM

I just got the extended warranty as well, with the same thoughts you have SParker, remember the 721 will be covered for a year, just make sure you have the extended warranty by then. You have to have it a month prior to your 1 yr. warranty expiring.
I just added my extended warranty, my year is up in October so I have to add it in September in order to keep my warranty valid on my 501.

Click Here To Read The Extended Warranty
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#20 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 07:56 AM

yeah plus I have a SW64 and those puppies aren't cheap and a 301 and a 2700 :) So if I have the Extended warranty going from now and into the future, once the 721's manufacturer's warranty runs out this will automatically cover it right?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...