Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just signed up today, but receiver question.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   terfmop

terfmop

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:49 PM

I thought I'd see what will happen, and I signed up for VoOM today. I am wondering if what the CSR told me about the receiver was correct.....

I asked him if I could avoid the $5/receiver rental fee by buying a VoOM receiver off Ebay (either new or used). He said 'no', and something about the receiver's are unique to the customer. I though maybe he was just trying to get me to pay the rental fee or something.

Someone mentioned earlier about requesting an antenna. When I asked a CSR earlier about the OTA antenna, they stated that they use a Winguard Sensor M1000. Can I request a different antenna? Should I? If so, are there any recommendations?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:00 PM

VOOM will not authorize any receivers bought off E-bay.

I think install includes an OTA antenna.

#3 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:56 PM

I was told by VOOM that you can indeed request a different antenna. They contract out the install -- and, from what I understand, the installers are reimbursed (up to some set amount) for whatever antenna is appropriate to reasonably get locals. So, for me, with stations at 40+ miles away, I'm going to request a Channel Master 8-Bay. These aren't too expensive relative to anything else that would work, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

My install is next week Thursday -- I'll let you know how the antenna selection goes. I'm still waiting for the installer to call...

- John...

#4 OFFLINE   rid0617

rid0617

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:16 PM

I thought Voom wasn't accepting any new customers

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:28 PM

Thats what I thought as well or maybe they started accepting new customers again if they decided to delay the shutdown date. Who would want to sign up and especially pay for some receivers to a service that may shut down at any time now?

#6 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:07 PM

Well, I signed up last month -- it was only my install that I just scheduled (I did it through the web site the day before it went to just the "no new customers" screen).

However, apparently people that called the GET-VOOM number were still able to get signed up depending on what time you called and/or what CSR you got.

As for why I'd sign up now -- I'm actually HOPING that they shut down at any time. I pay $1 to get things installed -- including my choice of OTA antenna. If I get that installed for $1 on Thursday -- and VOOM shuts down at the end of the month -- that is quite fine with me. I'd just call that getting a nice OTA antenna installed for anywhere from $1 to $56 depending on if I have to pay for the first month or not.

Or, if they continue -- that's fine too. It's a win-win for me -- as long as I actually get it installed next week...

- John...

#7 OFFLINE   terfmop

terfmop

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:45 AM

Is it possible to split the signal from the OTA antenna so that I can receive OTA analog stations for my Tivo, and the digital stations to the VoOm receiver? I went to antennaweb.org and it looks like a pre-amp would bring me a few more channels; how much is a 'pre-amp', where is it placed (e.g. outside near the antenna?, inside the house?) Would the VoOM installer have a pre-amp? Thanks again for any info. anyone can provide. My install date is set for the 25th, looks like VoOM will still be in business up to then.

spam firewall