Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VoomGate update: Dolan Eyeing DISH Deal?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:51 AM

Posted Image

Even more details are surfacing concerning Cablevision, its VOOM satellite TV service and attempts by Chairman Charles Dolan to take over the struggling satellite TV service.

A letter sent Thursday to Dolan by Victor Oristano, on behalf of independent directors and class A shareholder directors, detailed how Dolan planned to approach EchoStar to negotiate an arrangement in which the Rainbow-1 satellite supporting VOOM's service could be "brought" together with the VOOM business outside of Cablevision. "For our part, we agreed to support a delay in the shutdown of VOOM for a short period while you engage in those discussions and that if you are able to negotiate such an arrangement with EchoStar on terms satisfactory to us, we would be prepared to renew discussions with you for a sale of the VOOM business," the letter sent to Dolan stated.

It's unclear how Dolan would gain use of the Rainbow 1 satellite, if he could get access to the satellite at all, or even if a deal was actually discussed between the Cablevision chairman and EchoStar.

Cablevision released the contents of the letter through a Securities and Exchange Commission filing. EchoStar has a deal in place with Cablevision to buy the satellite and other assets for $200 million, and Dolan has been working to gain the other VOOM assets through an entity he set up called VOOM HD.

Cablevision suspended plans to shut down VOOM at the end of the month a day after Dolan appointed new Cablevision board members.

The letter also took issue with a new Web site - http://www.voomllc.com - that apparently is helping with the enrollment of new VOOM customers. "These efforts - likely to deceive new subscribers and the public into believing that VOOM is still an authorized going business of Cablevision - are in direct contradiction to the action taken by the board ... because they are an expansion rather than a shutdown of the business," the letter stated.

The Web site was still accessible Thursday night, but contained a message stating its services were temporarily unavailable.

Also, Cablevision revealed Thursday that the Securities and Exchange Commission is conducting an informal inquiry into the trading of its securities, and has requested information concerning the suspension of its Rainbow Media spin-off and agreement to sell certain Rainbow DBS assets to EchoStar.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:53 AM

one way or another we will no Monday if Voom survives or not

flip a coin

#3 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,218 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 March 2005 - 07:20 AM

We should also know by Monday which way this corporate soap opera is going to end. There is more to the story than is being reported. As Chris says, this whole fiasco has become a VoomGate.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   stonecold

stonecold

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 583 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:36 AM

See this is what ahppens when you try to run a satellite company like a cable company.

#5 OFFLINE   tonyp56

tonyp56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 03:21 AM

And this is what happens when people spread rumors and hopes and dreams. All the talk about how Voom is going to last forever, and the Voomers out there talking up their satellite service and how it will never end. And etc... Does nothing but make peoples expectations higher, and gives everyone a false sense of hope. VOOM IS DEAD. End of story.
Dish 811
SW: P380
Hardware ID: LADD-N
Boot Strap Version: 1014
Two Dish 301s
RCA/Dish Network 40" Widescreen HDTV
RCA RT2600 DD5.1, DTS, DPL 1-2 Surround Sound System

For a free alternative to MS Office, check out www.openoffice.org

Thanks,
Tony P.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 08:46 AM

I have said all along that Voom should have been an hd addon service to either or both of the sat providers. A simple add on dish to the existing setup and you would have all the hd you want. Dish could easily do this and use 148 to mirror the programming for the west coast. This would give Dish instantly more hd than Directv. Dish could provide the sd channels to the Voom customers and eventually change them over to Dish customers . We would all get what we want. They should also take the hd versions of the premium channels too. Dish could use the spotbeams to do hd locals for the top cities . Then all Dish would have to do is start the hd locals in mpeg4 and they would be able to compete with Directv. Voom would still go on in a way and the transition to Dish would be done in less than 6 months. Then Dish could say they have hd powered by Voom. THis way Voom would become a content provider and stay in business. This could easily be done if Charlie and Dolan would work together . Everyone would win.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

Man, you are cold Stonecold.

You don't see any logic in making this work . I mean if we could have access to all the hd movie channels that Voom has, as well as the Voom produced hd channels, and the potential to get the top dma networks over the conus spotbeams , don't you think that would be sweet? It would be better to have Voom customers transition to DISH customers and still keep all the hd channels out there don't you think?

IF Voom would have done nothing but hd like I suggested, and then worked with Dish and Directv to do an addon side dish to both companies , they wouldn't be going out of business now and both sat companies could concentrate on doing the hd locals and finishing up the sd ones. Voom could have been a hd content provider and they still could do so with Dish if they could work a deal.

I hate to see all that hd potential gone if Voom goes Boom. With them gone as competitors there is no real rush for either Dish or Directv to add any more hd .:eek2:

#8 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:18 PM

Nah, I agree with stone cold.

HD potential on voom? are you serious, they just tried to make something out of a format without no content to go with it, voom is lame and a disgrace to good quality hd content....

#9 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,218 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:54 PM

- 31 brilliant, sharp HD channels
- new HD channels are coming on VOOM this month.
- a new HD-DVR is coming out soon
- Universal HD is an outstanding new addition

The only reason I can think of why a few people here would want VOOM to fail is because they are losers themselves. Otherwise, why would they emotionally invest themselves in the premise of VOOM failing? Could it because they don't have HDTV, or don't have VOOM?

I now have over 40 HD channels with more coming. I'm especially enjoying the excellent new Universal HD channel I just discovered on VOOM.

Why would a normal, reasonable person want to see any DBS provider to fail? That kind of thinking just isn't rational, it's upside-down :shrug:

Attached Thumbnails

• spongebobup.jpg

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:47 PM

Is voom DVB or something else?

#11 OFFLINE   ocnier

ocnier

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:57 AM

Sorry guys, but i just see Dolan at the table with Charlie and ergen saying something along the lines of this: "ARE YOU HIGH!?!". Charlie has said repeatedly that he has no interest in the voom service. It's nowhere near his "compelling content standard" whatever the hell that standard is. Either way you cut it, sooner or later (probably later knowing dolan) voom is toast.

#12 OFFLINE   stevesmall

stevesmall

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:36 AM

I dont get it . Why would anyone want Voom to fail? i had alot of problems with Voom but never did i want them to fail. Between the installation issues, billing and over lack of a good business model i could see people being unhappy with the product but anyone that is serious about HDTV would have to want Voom to succeed. Competition is a good thing. Voom is a good idea but as we all would agree was not implemented in a very business like manner. the soap opera that is going on now is something that most of us are not surprised at. But AGAIN WHY WOULD ANYONE serious about HDTV WANT VOOM TO FAIL? I for one hope Voom survives. ITS a long shot but i like the underdog. GOOD LUCK VOOM!

#13 OFFLINE   tonyp56

tonyp56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:59 AM

:rolleyes:

- 31 brilliant, sharp HD channels
- new HD channels are coming on VOOM this month.
- a new HD-DVR is coming out soon
- Universal HD is an outstanding new addition

The only reason I can think of why a few people here would want VOOM to fail is because they are losers themselves. Otherwise, why would they emotionally invest themselves in the premise of VOOM failing? Could it because they don't have HDTV, or don't have VOOM?

I now have over 40 HD channels with more coming. I'm especially enjoying the excellent new Universal HD channel I just discovered on VOOM.

Why would a normal, reasonable person want to see any DBS provider to fail? That kind of thinking just isn't rational, it's upside-down :shrug:

:rolleyes:
It has nothing to do with wanting Voom to fail. The whole point is they have already failed! But yet you still comment on how great they are, and how you've got more HD channels comming. Who's upside-down?
Dish 811
SW: P380
Hardware ID: LADD-N
Boot Strap Version: 1014
Two Dish 301s
RCA/Dish Network 40" Widescreen HDTV
RCA RT2600 DD5.1, DTS, DPL 1-2 Surround Sound System

For a free alternative to MS Office, check out www.openoffice.org

Thanks,
Tony P.

#14 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:19 PM

I am only suggesting a way to keep Voom hd channels alive by merging it with Dish , or doing a content provider deal , and providing the top dmas with their digital locals over the spotbeams. Voom should have been nothing more than an all hd content provider to both sat providers. They still can be by working a deal with Charlie . Why wouldn't he want these channels? He could add them instantly and transition all the current Voom customers to dish with the side sat dish for 61.5 and use the 148 sat for west coast customers. He could add the top dmas digital locals as soon as he can get his hands on the Rainbow 1 sat. THis would give him the hd premium movie channels that he lacks and the Voom inhouse channels and then he could do digital locals now before Directv does and without doing mpeg4 yet. Then he could take his time to do mpeg4 right next year without the rush. Voom would be nothing more than a hd content provider via a contract with Dish using or renting the Rainbow 1 sat, kind of like SkyAngel does with 61.5 Dish satellite. Voom stays in business and Dish benefits from instant hd channels without compressing anymore of the picture .

I don't see why they can't make this happen . Everyone would win . Why doesn't anyone else see the logic in this proposal? Charlie even talked about doing some of the voom content on older Charlie chats. He must have been talking about doing this at one time. Isn't now the time?

I feel without Voom there will be no real rush to add anymore hd channels and we will see even less in the future. I think the only reason why Directv is pushing HD is that they had the space sats anyway and they wanted to do something with them other than internet. This way they re launch "The New Directv - powered by Rupert Murdoch" and they kill Voom too. Why else would you want 2 sat providers doing the same sd channels just to get some more hd. This is why I say Voom should have done nothing more than hd . They could do this as a sub company that provides all hd service to Dishnetwork .

IF this doesn't happen I see a long 5 years before we see anything in hd of any consequence. Sure they might add a few national channels here and there to keep you interested( The dangling carrot approach) , but I don't see the flood of channels predicted last year.:nono2:

#15 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:43 PM

And this is what happens when people spread rumors and hopes and dreams. All the talk about how Voom is going to last forever, and the Voomers out there talking up their satellite service and how it will never end. And etc... Does nothing but make peoples expectations higher, and gives everyone a false sense of hope. VOOM IS DEAD. End of story.

Yep! especially for Charles Dolan. You need to explain it to him, not us. Anyway, we appreciate your point of view, now you can get on with your life and stay out of the VOOM news discussion. Why beat a dead horse, unless you just like beating dead horses!

Meanwhile- there is no such thing as this is going to end and we all will know Monday. Monday will just be another down, using football anology.

I believe it will die if Charles Dolan dies in the next 6 months.

I believe it will die if Tom Dolan bails on his father. The two feed off of each other as a father son team and they feed off of the fact that HDTV is growing and they know thay have the ability to a part of that growth.

Meanwhile, it looks like we will be watching Voom while the ball is still in play.

The major questions in my mind is what will the FCC do with respect to the licenses / sale of same to E* and what will the SEC do with respect to their investigation. I appreciate the concern all have about this maner in which public money may have been used to fund a family business startup cost. But I'm nopt a stock holder and I don't even own the equipment. Therefore, my only interest is in seeing the service of great variety of HDTV continue, I don't care is D* or E* takes up all these channels or Voom stays in business.

Mike- I agree that the best way for VOOM to expand HDTV is to offer it as a VOOM HD Network service to cable, D* and E*. But as Stonecold has said over and over, they think like cable people. Heck, even Ergan and DirecTV is like a cable service without the wire. I'd like to see it happen except for one thing, part of what I liked about Voom was the offering of all the prime premium channels like starzhd cinemaxHD and all the others that were not being offered by E* or D*. If what you suggest happens, it will only affect the VOOM exclusives as Voom could not subcontract the other networks they have and I doubt Voom becoming another HBO would give either E* or D* the incentive to add those other networks, heck it may even delay them. Please consider what I have said with this and offer your suggestions on how these other networks could be maintaind for our viewing. The only solution I see is for VOOM to continue as it now is. If D* or E* wanted to offer the other premium channels they would have by now. Fact is they don't and Charlie Ergan has answered this as to why. He gave two reasons. Compelling content, that we all joke about and claims the networks want too much money.

#16 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 03:44 PM

I really doubt ergn wants to take over voom programming

what I do think might happen is that dolan may lease the space from dish on the satellite they just bough from cvc

monday will tell all

#17 OFFLINE   ocnier

ocnier

Godfather

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 04:45 PM

I really doubt ergn wants to take over voom programming

what I do think might happen is that dolan may lease the space from dish on the satellite they just bough from cvc

monday will tell all

Again see my previous post, I doubt ergen would even do that, he needs the bandwidth for his primary business too badly.

#18 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:32 PM

ocnier:

that me be, but Ergen will NOT be the HD leader, that will be comcast or direct tv if voom fails. Dish offers NO compleling HD content. and marginal hardware at best. Excluding Voom, Comcast has the most content and quality today, and DTV indicates they will have HD content and quality before the end of the year

Monday will decide vooms fate

Incidently, I currently subscribe to Dish and Voom. After putting up with the 921, and extremely limited HD content, I sold the 921 on ebay, downgraded my dish service, and subscribed to Voom when they offerred the free hardware and installation

Charlie is more interested international broadcasts right now, and it will be a minimum of 6 months before he aquires the CVC satellite, and another 6 months before he decides how it will be used. By that time the competition will not only have mpeg4, but leave him in the dust as far as HD is concerned

#19 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:35 PM

ocnier:

that me be, but Ergen will NOT be the HD leader, that will be comcast or direct tv if voom fails. Dish offers NO compleling HD content. and marginal hardware at best. Excluding Voom, Comcast has the most content and quality today, and DTV indicates they will have HD content and quality before the end of the year

Monday will decide vooms fate

Incidently, I currently subscribe to Dish and Voom. After putting up with the 921, and extremely limited HD content, I sold the 921 on ebay, downgraded my dish service, and subscribed to Voom when they offerred the free hardware and installation

Charlie is more interested international broadcasts right now, and it will be a minimum of 6 months before he aquires the CVC satellite, and another 6 months before he decides how it will be used. By that time the competition will not only have mpeg4, but leave him in the dust as far as HD is concerned

why do you put so much stock in what dtv says? They have unproven new leadership which plans to use european based dvrs(kinda like e* does today) I would not call them a leader till they accomplish what they say they are gonna do!!!

#20 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:15 AM

I am just quoting what dtv said, I don't have a strong feeling whether it will become reality or not, but they said they would have HD content out this year, time will tell. Dish is extremely silent in regard to any new HD content.

If Voom goes under tomorrow, and I give it a 50 50 chance, I most likely will go with comcast, "can't believe I am really saying that". For one thing their HD receivers are 5 bucks a month, DVR HD receivers 10 bucks a month, and they have a fair amount of HD content, but much better than dish or dtv, and I am not invested in hardware or a contract

it will be interesting to see how this all comes out in the wash

spam firewall