Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VoomGate update: Dolan Eyeing DISH Deal?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:18 AM

tomorrows wall street journal:

Deal to Save Voom May Be in Works

By PETER GRANT
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
March 7, 2005

Executives working for Voom, the satellite service owned by Cablevision Systems Corp., have assured Sears, Roebuck & Co., the largest retailer of the service, that they likely have a deal that will keep the service going, a Sears spokeswoman said last night.

Those assurances are a sign that Charles Dolan, Cablevision's chairman, may succeed in his bid to save the Voom service, which has been at the center of a bitter boardroom and family battle at the nation's-sixth largest cable operator.

Cablevision's new board is scheduled to meet today to consider Mr. Dolan's last-minute effort to buy the service himself. Last week, Mr. Dolan ousted three board members who had voted two times with the majority of board members to shut down Voom, his pet project for 10 years.

Mr. Dolan has spoken about Voom's status with Tasso Koken, Sears's vice president of home electronics, according to Lauren Jiles-Johnson, a Sears spokeswoman. She says that Sears is continuing to sell the service because Mr. Dolan indicated to Mr. Koken as recently as last week that they will be able to keep the service going. "Tasso has been in very close communication with the Voom people, and it looks like it will work out," she said. A Cablevision spokesman said that Charles Dolan last spoke to Mr. Koken weeks ago, but the spokesman couldn't comment about more-recent conversations between Mr. Koken and Voom officials.

Despite these assurances, a number of Sears stores have decided to stop selling Voom. Salesman at stores in Nebraska, Florida, Idaho, California and North Dakota contacted by The Wall Street Journal yesterday said they had discontinued selling the service. Ms. Jiles-Johnson said Sears stores that decided to take Voom off their shelves did so independently, probably on the basis of news reports about uncertainty surrounding Voom. The stores didn't get direction from the corporate office to stop selling the service, she said.

A cloud of uncertainty has hung over Voom since Cablevision's board first voted in January, over the objections of Mr. Dolan, to stop funding Voom and sell its only operational satellite to EchoStar Communications Corp., another satellite- TV operator. Charles Dolan's son, James Dolan, who is Cablevision's chief executive, voted with the majority, sparking a public falling out with his father.

Since then, Charles Dolan, 78 years old, has launched an all-out campaign to save the service, going so far last week as to replace three of the board members who voted against it. He also sent Voom employees an optimistic note predicting the service would continue and put up his own Voom Web site after the company took down the official site.

Spokesmen for Mr. Dolan, Cablevision and EchoStar declined to comment.

After a committee of independent board members objected late last week, Charles Dolan's Voom Web site also went dark. But last night, the Voom Web site was back up again, although it wasn't accepting orders. Still, that was another sign that a deal to keep the service running may be at hand.

The new board, which now has four new members recently appointed by Charles Dolan, is today scheduled to consider Mr. Dolan's plan to save Voom by buying its remaining assets himself through a company he recently formed with another son, Tom Dolan. According to a Cablevision filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Charles Dolan has been holding talks with EchoStar to combine those assets with the Voom satellite that EchoStar just agreed to buy.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,205 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:08 AM

...Ergen will NOT be the HD leader, that will be comcast or direct tv if voom fails. Dish offers NO compleling HD content. and marginal hardware at best. Excluding Voom, Comcast has the most content and quality today, and DTV indicates they will have HD content and quality before the end of the year

Monday will decide vooms fate

Incidently, I currently subscribe to Dish and Voom. After putting up with the 921, and extremely limited HD content, I sold the 921 on ebay, downgraded my dish service, and subscribed to Voom when they offerred the free hardware and installation...

Well said. I concur with your analysis.

In January of last year, I paid $149 for an 811 to get just 5+2 HD channels from E*. Including the cost of the HD pkg, that works out to roughly $21 per month for the 'privilege' of watching 7 channels of HD on E* over the last 14 months, or roughly $3 per channel per month.

I can't imagine shelling out $1,000 or even $500 for a 921 just to watch 5 or 7 channels of HD. Figure the per channel cost for 14 months on that!

I receive 39 HD channels on VOOM for less than $2 per channel, plus (hopefully) more HD to come. Over the 14 months I've had VOOM, I've enjoyed HD programming unavailable elsewhere, with the very best PQ I've seen anywhere.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#23 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:46 AM

Well said. I concur with your analysis.

In January of last year, I paid $149 for an 811 to get just 5+2 HD channels from E*. Including the cost of the HD pkg, that works out to roughly $21 per month for the 'privilege' of watching 7 channels of HD on E* over the last 14 months, or roughly $3 per channel per month.

I can't imagine shelling out $1,000 or even $500 for a 921 just to watch 5 or 7 channels of HD. Figure the per channel cost for 14 months on that!

I receive 39 HD channels on VOOM for less than $2 per channel, plus (hopefully) more HD to come. Over the 14 months I've had VOOM, I've enjoyed HD programming unavailable elsewhere, with the very best PQ I've seen anywhere.

So how's that VOOM DVR working out for you? Oh yeah, they don't have one. So the cost of your VOOM HD DVR is $0, and so is the value. And if VOOM survives in some form, it will have to stop bleeding cash, so your cost per channel WILL go up.

And do you know why the VOOM HD programming is unavailable elsewhere? Because only 40,000 fanatics are willing to sit and watch that crap. The rest of us want something worth watching besides a lot more pixels on the screen.

#24 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,205 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:57 AM

Dude, what is your problem? :confused: :rolleyes:

BTW, how are those two 811 DVRs working out for you? Filled up those hard drives yet? :grin:

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#25 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:38 AM

Dude, what is your problem? :confused: :rolleyes:

BTW, how are those two 811 DVRs working out for you? Filled up those hard drives yet? :grin:

Dude, touchy, aren't we? I don't care about time-shifting. I'm not the one complaining about the cost of DVR's. My 811's cost me $5/month, with $0 up front. :glasses:

#26 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,205 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:57 AM

Dude, touchy, aren't we?

No, not all, but you seem to have a very BIG problem with VOOM. Why is that? Is it because you really want it?

I don't care about time-shifting.

Well, that proves you are an idiot.

I'm not the one complaining about the cost of DVR's.

Nor am I, just making HD cost comparisons. Don't you find my cursory analysis interesting?

My 811's cost me $5/month, with $0 up front. :glasses:

So, you got them on the cheap. What the hell is your point, or do you even have one? :confused:

:rolleyes:

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#27 OFFLINE   ypsiguy

ypsiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:57 AM

Is voom DVB or something else?

Voom is Digicipher 2, Dish is DVB/Nagravision. Voom would have to switch to Dish's system for there to be any cross-marketing possiblilities. I would not want to have to put up with two boxes, nor would most other people.

#28 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:04 PM

No, not all, but you seem to have a very BIG problem with VOOM. Why is that? Is it because you really want it? Well, that proves you are an idiot. Nor am I, just making HD cost comparisons. Don't you find my cursory analysis interesting? So, you got them on the cheap. What the hell is your point, or do you even have one? :confused:

:rolleyes:

Pretty defensive, buddy. Don't make assumptions about my motives.

I find your cursory analysis silly, and I decided to inject a little reality into your fantasy world. All you VOOM cheerleaders treat VOOM as the HD god, and C. Dolan as his prophet. When someone pricks your little bubble, you go bonkers.

VOOM is going bust because it's costs are too high, and revenues are too low. That's the way it will always be, because they're losing more money with each subscriber they attract.

#29 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,205 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:51 PM

Well, first off, I am not your "buddy", as you say. Entertaining the child has been amusing, but you're beginning to bore me.

I'm off to more interesting things like taking in a veritable cornucopia of stunning, crisp and colorful high-definition views of the natural world, tastefully set to serene classical music, well-mastered in Dolby 5.1, and available only on Voom, or course. :sure:

Not exactly your run-of-the-mill fare of wrasslin', 'toons and those ubiquitous get-rich-quick infomercials, is it, now?. :D

Taste matters, and like class, one either has it or one doesn't. :rolleyes:

I trust you shall enjoy the remainder of your day, such as it is.

Cya! :P

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#30 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:07 PM

Well, entertaining the child has been amusing, but you're beginning to bore me. I'm off to more interesting things like seeing stunning, crisp and colorful HD views of the natural world set to serene Dolby 5.1 music, available only on Voom, or course. ...

:rolleyes: :wave: :sleeping: Hope that when Dish gets the VOOM programming, they filter it down to a couple of decent channels.

#31 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,205 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:53 PM

:ramblinon

You really don't have any idea what you're (not your) talking about, do you?

Could that be because you don't even have VOOM? :icon_cry:

:wave:

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#32 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 03:00 PM

...Taste matters, and like class, one either has it or one doesn't. :rolleyes: ...

If one has it, he doesn't break his arm patting himself on the back. :glasses:

#33 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 03:23 PM

So how's that VOOM DVR working out for you? Oh yeah, they don't have one. So the cost of your VOOM HD DVR is $0, and so is the value. And if VOOM survives in some form, it will have to stop bleeding cash, so your cost per channel WILL go up.

And do you know why the VOOM HD programming is unavailable elsewhere? Because only 40,000 fanatics are willing to sit and watch that crap. The rest of us want something worth watching besides a lot more pixels on the screen.

If Voom survives the DVR will be out this year

What is nice about the current Voom receivers is all the outputs are live, unlike the Dish HD receivers.

In other words DVI, Component, A/V, SVHS, and RF all carry a signal so I can record externally, even though it may not be HD, SVHS is not bad at all.

I record it through a Toshiba, TIVO DRV. It cost me 200 bucks, comes with basic tivo, and I am quite happy with the results

#34 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:01 PM

If Voom survives the DVR will be out this year

What is nice about the current Voom receivers is all the outputs are live, unlike the Dish HD receivers.

In other words DVI, Component, A/V, SVHS, and RF all carry a signal so I can record externally, even though it may not be HD, SVHS is not bad at all.

I record it through a Toshiba, TIVO DRV. It cost me 200 bucks, comes with basic tivo, and I am quite happy with the results

Unfortunately your statement about the Dish HD receivers not having all their outputs live is wrong. The outputs of the model 811 HD receiver are all live.

#35 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:26 PM

Hi rocatman:

I have only had experience with the 6000 and the 921, and they did not have simultaneous live outputs. You had to put them into SD mode in order to record, you could not put it into HD mode, and have an SD signal come out of the other outputs

I stand corrected because I have not had experience with the 811. Thanks for the information

#36 OFFLINE   BasicBlak

BasicBlak

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 05:38 PM

I have said all along that Voom should have been an hd addon service to either or both of the sat providers. A simple add on dish to the existing setup and you would have all the hd you want. Dish could easily do this and use 148 to mirror the programming for the west coast. This would give Dish instantly more hd than Directv. Dish could provide the sd channels to the Voom customers and eventually change them over to Dish customers . We would all get what we want. They should also take the hd versions of the premium channels too. Dish could use the spotbeams to do hd locals for the top cities . Then all Dish would have to do is start the hd locals in mpeg4 and they would be able to compete with Directv. Voom would still go on in a way and the transition to Dish would be done in less than 6 months. Then Dish could say they have hd powered by Voom. THis way Voom would become a content provider and stay in business. This could easily be done if Charlie and Dolan would work together . Everyone would win.

This would have been an EXCELLENT idea! Why on earth the principals involved chose not to go this route is beyond me.:nono2: It'll be interesting to hear their response to this, for it appears to me that it has merit.
BasicBlak
E* since 5/04 - 211 via HDMI; 522 (dual mode) via S-Video
Sony BRAVIA KDS-60A3000 60" SXRD HDTV (1080p native, 24Hz-compatible)
Winegard Platinum HD8200P UHF antenna
Toshiba HD-A35 1080/24p HD DVD player (v4.0) via HDMI
Sony PS3 40GB Gaming/Blu-ray Disc system (v2.53) via HDMI
Onkyo TX-SR805 THX Ultra2 7.1 receiver (v1.08 w/DSP update)
Carver Cinema "7.1" speaker system
Boston 595x subwoofers

#37 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 05:53 PM

It could have been a simple add on service just as Sky Angel is. I think that would have been great, but then that would have meant that Dish would have to deal with the evil cable company. As long as VOOM stuck to HD only and no basic channels that Dish carried I think this may have worked. :D
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#38 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:36 PM

It could have been a simple add on service just as Sky Angel is. I think that would have been great, but then that would have meant that Dish would have to deal with the evil cable company. As long as VOOM stuck to HD only and no basic channels that Dish carried I think this may have worked. :D

Not only will its HD broadcasts show up on SD television, not in HD of course, but it also gets most of the other SD shows already on satellite and cable

#39 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:43 PM

This would have been an EXCELLENT idea! Why on earth the principals involved chose not to go this route is beyond me.:nono2: It'll be interesting to hear their response to this, for it appears to me that it has merit.

Thank you. I am glad someone else sees the merit in what I have been suggesting for the last couple of years. I only wish that Charlie will work a deal to make this a reality for Voom and it's customers. Dish certainly needs the hd channels and I can see them making this work if they really wanted to. I never had Voom , but I do want to see it continue even if itha to become an hd content provider. The more hd out there the better for everyone. :D

#40 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:47 PM

I thank you for agreeing with my suggestions. I didn't see why they didn't go the add on service route in the first place. Then Voom could have concentrated on becoming the best hd sat service out there and sold their content to either or both sat providers. Then the 2 sat providers could concentrate on hd digital locals and finishing the sd locals in the country. Voom could concentrate on adding all the premium hd movie channels and other national channels we all want. THis would be cheaper than trying to start a stand alone sat service this late in the game.

Charlie are you listening ? This could help both Dish and Voom and put you in the front of the line on hd channel additions. ;)

spam firewall