Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Satellite C(110) question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:46 PM

We did the HD upgrade a few months back, and obviously got the triple lnb dish and new Hd receiver. Anyway, about a month and a half ago, we started having problems with voice "skipping", minor pixelization, some freeze framing, and losing picture momentarily. Mostly on the HD major networks, ABC HDwest(87) being the worst. Needless to say, I called Directv many times, usually getting different answers. At first they said they were having problems with the broadcasts. Anyway, it got to where every time I called, based on my description of what we were seeing, they started saying it was most likely in one of the lnb's or the switch, so they sent someone out and replaced it. Too soon to tell if that was the fix, but one thing that still bothers me is that when the guy came in the house after replacing the head on the dish was to check my signal strength on all 3 satellites. The 110 and 119 we both good......in the 80's and/or 90's. But the 110 was in the low 70's....going as low as 70 while he was checking. He said that where we live(northern calif) it doesn't get any better. The guy that originally did the HD upgrade and put up the new dish said basically the same thing.....that the 110 was the weakest ssatellite. A Directv person on the phone yesterday after the guy left said it was normal for that signal to go to upper 60's and still be fine. I've checked the individual transponders on the 110 and seen them(can't remember which one) go into the 60's. Anyway, does anyone else have this same situation? One person said that in California, the 110 should always be in the 80's minimum....then another person says that isn't true. Any opinions? Any feedback at all greatly appreciated. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:05 PM

This is a duplicate thread.......................
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#3 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:49 PM

Yeah, I didn't get an answer in the other forum, so I thought I'd try here. Sorry!

#4 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:36 AM

No problem. Technically, if there are no line of sight issues, you should have only a 10-15 % difference in the 3 sats when selecting CONUS transponders. You could have either a bad LNB or the dish could need to be fine tuned.....
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#5 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:10 AM

There are definitely no line of sight issues, and they just replaced the whole head. The guy said that's the best it gets where I live, and that low 70's, even dropping into the high 60's is normal. I don't believe him, but it doesn't mean he's not right.

#6 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:15 PM

You might want to try some fine tuning. After the installer left, that's what I did, and brought up 110 from the 70's to readings from 85 to 88.
I was told to set my tilt or skew at the recommended setting and leave it there. Then adjust azimuth and elevation, ever so slightly, for maximum reading on 101. Then check 110 and 119.
Then try adjusting azimuth and elevation, again being careful, to balance out 101 and 119.
When I was through I had brought up 101 a little and lost two or three points on 119, but brought up 110 about 8 points on all three transponders. 110 is a little lower than 101 and 119 but I can live with it.
But before you do any of this, be sure your pole is plumb. There can't be any tilt in any direction.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...