Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need help on poor picture quality from SD signal on HDTV

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ahmed

ahmed

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:54 PM

I hooked up my Dish Network 522 to a Samsung 5063 HDTV with an s-video cable and the picture on the TV is poor. (The 522 sends a SD picture to the HDTV.) I switched from the widescreen view to the 4:3 view. Someone suggested turning down the sharpness and that helped, but not enough. Any suggestions? The sad thing is that my wife thinks the picture on our 25in. 1989 Sylvania tv is better....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:09 PM

Bottom line is that SD does look better on a smaller television. That's a sad fact.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:58 PM

I have a model 6000 receiver (Dish of course)... and sometimes the S-video output for SD is better than the Component output... but still, the SD just doesn't look as sharp on my larger TV as it does on my smaller TV.

My 32" looks really nice, when the same broadcast might look like crap on my widescreen HDTV.

Just the same old problem, SD resolution is lower... so at some point you blow it up enough to see the flaws and the compression in the signal.

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:20 AM

Another thing to consider is that when you watch an SD program on an HDTV, the signal is being upconverted to whatever resolution you have set on your HDTV. This also degrades the signal somewhat.

Native 480i viewed on a good SDTV (non-digital) seems to always look quite good especially on smaller TV's.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...