Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Which antenna is included with VOOM normally?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:39 PM

My VOOM installation is tomorrow. Can anyone tell me which Winegard Sensar antenna they would normally included in an install where the stations are 40-50 miles away?

I requested an 8-bay, but they told me that they had to try the recommended Sensar first and, if it didn't do well, then they would put in a request for the 8-bay. She didn't know the model number off hand though -- but said that it was not the Stealth, was pre-amplified, and did not look like the older "traditional" antennas (which is a good thing for me because my wife really doesn't want the "old-style" looking antenna). She also said something about it being "oval shaped in the middle" possibly.

Anyone have any idea which Sensar that would be? Just so I know what to expect tomorrow. And, also, if they have one, how good it appears to be working and how far away is it pulling a station in from?

Thanks!

- John...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

http://www.winegard....fair/sensar.htm

Amplified with either the back of the dish or seperate mount. :)

Works good depending on terrain an elevation, likes a clean line of site. As high on the house as it can go. :D

Some places I install are on the wrong side of a large military base. :nono2: Not even with an eight bay. :nono:

The antenna field for Fox, NBC, ABC, and CBS are all colocated in my area. :righton: UPN an WB, you might need to move your house so those line up. :D

The antenna also requires power for the amp, the installer needs to know how to get it with the various switchs an power inserters that Voom ships. Done a lot of service calls where that was the problem. :grin:

Good Luck and make sure its grounded. :)

#3 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:34 PM

Thanks very much for the info!

- John...

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 10 March 2005 - 01:09 PM

Good advice, Sam, especially the reminder about grounding. Every antenna is a lightning rod.

...you might need to move your house so those (tv towers) line up...

No big deal if he lives in a mobile home! :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:17 PM

Well -- the install went well -- and appears to be properly grounded even.

With the Sensar, we're not getting anything in the scan. It stops at a couple of channels for a bit, but can't get a lock. If I manually try the aim, I can get 80-82 for a second or two, but then it drops to 40-60 or so most of the time -- so it won't lock.

They are going to bring a Channel Master 8-Bay on Monday. We'll see if that might pull in the ones on the edge...

The installer told me that the Sensar is amplified, but the 8-Bay is not -- but that they are still having better luck with the 8-Bays.

- John...

#6 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:24 PM

The installer told me that the Sensar is amplified, but the 8-Bay is not -- :icon_stup

Can you post some pics? How many receivers ya get? Is there a multiswitch, what kind. How are the antenna an dish configured. How do the cables run.

Never had a sensar fail to lock on at lest some stations, even on the wrong side of military bases.

For eight bays to be amplified there is an additional kit the installer would have to purchase. All antennas can be amplified.

#7 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:36 PM

Can you post some pics?

Sure -- but of what? Do you want to see my Dish and Sensar?

How many receivers ya get?

Just one.

Is there a multiswitch, what kind. How are the antenna an dish configured. How do the cables run.

I'm not sure -- I'm not as familiar with the VOOM stuff yet. It looks like the antenna and satellite feeds are combined and run into the house with one RG-6 wire. Then, he added a little snap/screw on piece that takes that single input and divides it to separate antenna and dish source inputs at the receiver.

Never had a sensar fail to lock on at lest some stations, even on the wrong side of military bases.

Well, these are towers that are about 53 miles away. Granted, the Sensar's own specs say for 10 to 55 miles away, but he tells me that he doesn't usually have much luck over 40 miles or so with them.

The 8-Bay's specs are a little further -- up to 60 miles. He tells me that he has much better luck with the 8-Bays than the Sensars.

For eight bays to be amplified there is an additional kit the installer would have to purchase. All antennas can be amplified.

That's what I was thinking -- I thought it weird that he said that. Unless he just means "when free from VOOM." Any idea if VOOM will pay for the amplification kit for the 8-Bay also?

- John...

#8 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:41 PM

Also -- any recommendations on a good amplifier for use with the 8-Bay?

Maybe the CM 7775 (UHF only)? Or 7777 (UHF and VHF)?

- John...

#9 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:46 PM

I'm not sure -- I'm not as familiar with the VOOM stuff yet. It looks like the antenna and satellite feeds are combined and run into the house with one RG-6 wire.

What did he use to combine them with.

That's what I was thinking -- I thought it weird that he said that. Unless he just means "when free from VOOM." Any idea if VOOM will pay for the amplification kit for the 8-Bay also?

Voom pays up to $150 for antenna upgrades. Eight Bay $35. Amp $35. Plus labor.

#10 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:59 PM

What did he use to combine them with.

I saw it when it was sitting in the truck, but I forgot what it was. I'll try to double-check tomorrow and let you know. It had three inputs and two outputs. The diagram made it look like two inputs were for the dish and antenna and went to just one output. Then it had another input that went straight through to another output (i.e. without the antenna combined with it). He just used the 2-to-1 combiner and the others were not used -- he had a cover/plug on the second output. Again, that was in the truck -- I'll double-check what actually went up there.

Voom pays up to $150 for antenna upgrades. Eight Bay $35. Amp $35. Plus labor.

Ok -- sounds good. I just called VOOM and had them add the amplifier request to the work order -- so now it says "Channel Master 8-Bay Antenna and Channel Master 7775 Amplifier". We'll see if that works -- VOOM said that the installer would let me know if there would be an extra charge for the amplifier because they (the CSR) didn't know.

- John...

#11 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:15 PM

Three in and two out would be the standard winegard signal combiner(likely silver) shiped with the dish. Just a fancy power passing diplexer good deal. Long as he hooked the wires up right. Assuming the antenna is as high as it will go an pointed in the right direction should work less theres issues.

I been using a Winegard AP-8780 on eight bays, seems to work well. Shouldn't be any additional charge. Course ya never know what some folks will do. :(

#12 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:48 PM

I do have a question about the amplified Sensar though while we're discussing this. How is it powered exactly? Searching online it appears to be AC 117v, correct? Does that mean it should be plugged in somewhere? I don't recall him powering it with anything. I also don't remember any connections on it when I looked at it before he put it up.

Is it supposed to be plugged in for power? Maybe he TOLD me it was amplified, but it really isn't the amplified model? The box just says something along the lines of "Sensar RV Replacement Antenna" -- no model number on the box that I can see.

- John...

#13 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 11:08 PM

The Sat Reciever puts out some volts. Thats how the amp is powered. If it's wired correct dosn't require a power inserter. What I asked earlier. Sounds like it's wired correct. Voom recieiver with square box on back. RG6 to ground block. RG6 to Winegard signal combiner, dish /antenna(high as installer will go). Pointed in the correct direction.

#14 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 11:37 PM

Looked up ur zipp. Thats kind of rich. :lol: Caddilac, Kalamazoo :D or somethin along those lines. Hope your satellite signal is fine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#15 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:20 AM

Looked up ur zipp. Thats kind of rich. :lol: Caddilac, Kalamazoo :D or somethin along those lines. Hope your satellite signal is fine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure what you mean. In any case, I live in Weidman -- just west of Mount Pleasant. The DMA is Flint/Saginaw -- even though I've physically closer to the Cadillac towers. I'm in the very farthest corner of the Flint/Saginaw DMA. :(

Ok -- so -- something interesting. Last night, I decided to run the antenna search again. This time it found one local with a good, strong, constant 87 signal! This was the one that, during the day, would hit 80 for a second and then drop to anywhere from 20-60 and hop around there -- never over 80 long enough for a lock. But, at night, it comes it nicely. So, I appear to have ABC, at least, in HD during primetime. We'll see if that lasts or not. The tower is about 53 miles from me. So, that's something, at least! :)

- John...

#16 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:24 PM

Well -- the installer came back with my 8-bay. I get about the same reception as with the (amplified) Sensar -- which means I get one channel -- and only at night -- and only some nights. :)

However, they ARE going to send me the CM 7775 amplifier when it comes in. We'll see how that goes. But, provided that they actually send it like they said they would, it should mean that I end up with the 8-bay and amplifier, like I wanted, for free. I'll let you know if they actually ship it or not...

- John...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...