Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Stock Slammed After Audit Report, TiVo Setback

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:13 AM

EchoStar's stock was slammed during trading Thursday after a report surfaced concerning an inquiry into past accounting issues and news that it suffered a setback in its litigation with TiVo.
The company's shares fell more than 6 percent to $28.72 during trading Thursday.

With the accounting issue, Bloomberg reported that an internal investigation by EchoStar's audit committee was started after KPMG, the company's independent auditor, allegedly uncovered evidence of improper booking of transactions and other issues while scrutinizing the company's 2004 financials. Bloomberg also said the Securities and Exchange Commission has opened an inquiry into CEO Charles Ergen's role in EchoStar's accounting.

EchoStar would not comment on the matter.

With the internal investigation, the audit committee must present findings to Ergen, and KPMG must then decide whether EchoStar is addressing the issue or refuse to sign off on the company's accounts, Bloomberg reported.

Craig Moffett of Bernstein Research said the accounting news came as a surprise. "Charlie Ergen is a well respected manager within the cable and satellite sector, regarded as a reliable steward for minority shareholders' interests in an industry of family-run companies," he said. "There have never previously been any concerns regarding the company's management or accounting."

Tom Eagan of Oppenheimer and Co. said possible fallout from an accounting issue may delay the company's fourth quarter reporting. "A more serious impact would be any restatements to the company's cap ex payments (historical and future) as that would impact free cash flow, a key valuation metric for the stock," he said.

But the issue should not impede the company's purchase of the VOOM/Rainbow 1 satellite and it shouldn't lead to Ergen losing control of the company, Eagan said.

EchoStar reports results next week, on March 17.

As for the TiVo litigation, the federal district court for the Eastern District of Texas denied motions from EchoStar to dismiss and transfer the DVR company's patent infringement case against the satellite TV company. In the case, TiVo alleged that EchoStar and certain subsidiaries are violating a key TiVo patent known as the "Time Warp" patent.

As a result of the Court's rulings, the case will move forward in the Texas district court.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Anonymous

Anonymous

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:24 AM

Doesn't the "Time Warp" patent patent the idea of watching something while you are still recording it with the ability to fast forward, pause, and rewind through what has been recorded so far? Isn't that a bit like the company that patented the concept of puting an encyclopedia on CD-ROM?

http://www.base.com/...es/compton.html

I think I should patent serving a drink in a glass, I bet that isn't patented yet. If the court backs up TiVo's patent then that would set a president for me to sue restaurants.

#3 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:12 AM

when stocks go down.. good opportunity to buy :)

#4 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:08 AM

when stocks go down.. good opportunity to buy :)

So how many shares of Enron did you pick up cheap? :)
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#5 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:09 AM

Regarding the TiVo suit -- what about Scientific Atlanta's DVR's? Aren't they infringing on TiVo as well? Seems as tho TiVo could have a field day, suing them and everyone else who has come up with pausing live TV, etc. (think TV tuner cards by ATI, Avermedia, Hauppauge, Leadtek, etc.)

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#6 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:14 AM

What in the world is going on at Dish Network? Is Ergen just over his head?

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:21 AM

With the accounting issue, Bloomberg reported that an internal investigation by EchoStar's audit committee was started after KPMG, the company's independent auditor, allegedly uncovered evidence of improper booking of transactions and other issues while scrutinizing the company's 2004 financials. Bloomberg also said the Securities and Exchange Commission has opened an inquiry into CEO Charles Ergen's role in EchoStar's accounting.

EchoStar would not comment on the matter.

Bloomberg TV was subsequently removed from DISH Network. j/k :lol:
Mike Richardson

#8 OFFLINE   JBKing

JBKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:42 PM

6% share drop? Big deal! :confused:
Earl, I think you're trying to sell a cat to a guy who fancies dogs.

#9 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:49 PM

Enron is not DISH ;)

... and who was talking about me ... lol - i was just "generally" stating :P

#10 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:28 PM

Enron is not DISH ;)

... and who was talking about me ... lol - i was just "generally" stating :P

Yeah. But look at what's happening . I would be concerned.

#11 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:35 PM

http://www.tmcnet.co...Mar/1124667.htm

The scum lawyers are already crawling out of the woodwork. They are even spamming the investment boards. What a bunch of low life scum
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#12 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:24 AM

The one thing that always bothered me about the TIVO time warp patent is that it is the same as the process used in Broadcast to time delay any live cast for censorship purposes. Decades ago we used tape machines with a record head and playback head that was 7 seconds apart for this purpose. Later hard drives were used and then along comes TIVO doing the same thing but was awarded a patent for the "USE" in a home time shift recording system for TV. I believe their patent must speak to what is referred to as a "USE patent" which is entirely different than a fundamental technology or even design improvement patent. If this is the case, then TIVO has a real, not frivolous legal claim against anyone using the "time warp" process in a "Home video DVR time shifting" technology.

In this thread is was also stated about patenting a glass of water as a bit of humor. Well, the fact is that any new use of an existing technology has patent possibilities as long as one very important condition is met. In the 70's the patent laws were changed to protect against trade secrets and pidgeonholeing technology. This changed required that a patent must be applied for within one year of it's public disclosure or commercialization. This means that as long as an invention remains secret and is never commercialized, you can hold the invention and patent it any time. However, once you disclose it exists or offer it for sale then you have one year to apply for the patent or it becomes public domain. I'm not a patent attorney but I've been through several RI's and patents and the process. It still is uncertain to me if an inventor can make a claim to an invention prior to one year if he is keeping it secret. The spirit of the disclosure law was to prevent inventors from holding an invention off the market and still receive protection. In other words, if you invent something the government wants you to patent it and then gives you 17 years protection exclusivity. I believe TIVO probably has some legal claims on this as they have been awarded patent protection for the use of the public domain process of time delayed recordings for home video vis a vis the practice of skip ahead and instant replay in the home. Should be interesting how the courts will rule on this. I don't believe the TIVO patent, if upheld, will shut down all DVR mfg. but it may shut down the live buffer that so many also have in use. If this is removed, then the DVR will have no live buffer and only the ability to record a program for later playback after the complete recording is finished, as in, a VCR where you have to finish recording and then rewind the tape to play it.
Worse, since all these DVR's are upgradable, keeping them connected to the satellite could allow E*, if they lose this case, to be forced by court order to shut down the 2 hour live buffer ( as in the 921)and that would prevent you from any "trick Play" shuch as skip ahead, watching on time delay and instant replay with their DVR's. Others may also do this as well in anticipation of being next on the hit list by TIVO after they win the first case. This case is in the courts because it has some legal merit. It's anyone's guess how it will turn out. The way I see it, TIVO has done everything they were required to do including defending their patent claim.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:39 AM

I think that Dish would buy Tivo or use their software before they would take away the dvr features we all have learned to love. Dish settled with Gemstar/TVguide by adding the TV Guide channel and paid some money to settle the lawsuit. I see this going one of three ways:

1) Charlie either winning the case because they will find that Dish uses different software to accomplish the same thing as Tivo's time warp software.
2) Or Charlie will pay a fine to Tivo and then use Tivos software and then keep them going when Directv stops in 2007.
3)Third way I see it coming out is Dish buying Tivo and then this makes all the problems go away.

I don't see Dish stop using the dvr features we all love or they will lose all their customers to cable or Directv.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,093 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 06:29 PM

I think that Dish would buy Tivo or use their software before they would take away the dvr features we all have learned to love.

Agreed. Once you have a DVR, there is no going back. Removing DVR service from millions of customers would not be a good thing.

JL

#15 OFFLINE   homer1

homer1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:11 PM

I seen the tivo stock really got hammered last week also!

#16 OFFLINE   BasicBlak

BasicBlak

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:29 PM

Ouch!!! :lol:
BasicBlak
E* since 5/04 - 211 via HDMI; 522 (dual mode) via S-Video
Sony BRAVIA KDS-60A3000 60" SXRD HDTV (1080p native, 24Hz-compatible)
Winegard Platinum HD8200P UHF antenna
Toshiba HD-A35 1080/24p HD DVD player (v4.0) via HDMI
Sony PS3 40GB Gaming/Blu-ray Disc system (v2.53) via HDMI
Onkyo TX-SR805 THX Ultra2 7.1 receiver (v1.08 w/DSP update)
Carver Cinema "7.1" speaker system
Boston 595x subwoofers

#17 OFFLINE   BasicBlak

BasicBlak

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:49 PM

I think that Dish would buy Tivo or use their software before they would take away the dvr features we all have learned to love.... Dish settled with Gemstar/TVguide by adding the TV Guide channel and paid some money to settle the lawsuit. I see this going one of three ways:

1) Charlie either winning the case because they will find that Dish uses different software to accomplish the same thing as Tivo's time warp software.
2) Or Charlie will pay a fine to Tivo and then use Tivos software and then keep them going when Directv stops in 2007.
3)Third way I see it coming out is Dish buying Tivo and then this makes all the problems go away.

I don't see Dish stop using the dvr features we all love or they will lose all their customers to cable or Directv.

Buying TiVo or licensing authentic TiVo software for E* would be the way to go if it came down to it, I'd say. Why? Quite simply, because TiVo WORKS!!! During my run with D*, it was absolutely flawless. Can DishPVR say the same? Just ask your friendly, neighborhood 921/522 owner. Ahhh, the stories we could tell! :nono:
BasicBlak
E* since 5/04 - 211 via HDMI; 522 (dual mode) via S-Video
Sony BRAVIA KDS-60A3000 60" SXRD HDTV (1080p native, 24Hz-compatible)
Winegard Platinum HD8200P UHF antenna
Toshiba HD-A35 1080/24p HD DVD player (v4.0) via HDMI
Sony PS3 40GB Gaming/Blu-ray Disc system (v2.53) via HDMI
Onkyo TX-SR805 THX Ultra2 7.1 receiver (v1.08 w/DSP update)
Carver Cinema "7.1" speaker system
Boston 595x subwoofers

Protected By... spam firewall...And...