Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Old Laptop Revived, Need Help Getting BrowserBa

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 June 2002 - 11:51 AM

This week, I picked up a cute little NEC Versa V/75 laptop at Goodwill for $12.62. It is a 486/75MHz with
a 512 Mb HHD, 8Mb RAM, 3.5 floppy (no CD-ROM), running Win95, with a 9.5 in. diag TFT screen.

When I first fired it up, it wouldn't boot, but would only go to the setup utility. I put in a new CMOS
battery, made a boot disk from a another PC running 95, and got the sucker to boot up and run ok.
The PCMCIA modem works fine, but the darn thing does not have a browser of any kind. Apparently,
the previous owner only used it to access the company LAN for work, or deleted any browser he may
have had which doesn't seem likely since he left a lot of other useless junk on the HD.

The problem I have is the unit does not have a browser at all., and without a browser or a CD drive,
how can I get a browser on 3.5 floppies to get online to download an up-to-date browser?

Going through my old floppies, all I could find was an old set of Mindspring (my original ISP, now
Earthlink) 3.5 setup disks, and an ancient (1995) C|Net/Spry set-up disk. I checked the Spry website,
and apparently they no longer offer ISP services for dial-up accounts.

Any ideas?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 02:57 PM

Nick,

I've used this browser before in emergencies... I'ts only 1.4 megs and fits on one floppy disk...

http://www.scitrav.com/1X/

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 June 2002 - 03:16 PM

Thanks a bunch, James. If this puppy works, problem solved. If it's as good as they say, I may stay with it for the little 486 to conserve limited HD space. I plan to use this cutesy little unit as a s/a mail station on the kitchen counter for the roommate's use.

Thanks again!

Nick :smoking:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 03:33 PM

Let me know how that works... I'm thinking of doing the same... :computer:

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 June 2002 - 04:38 PM

Running Windows 95, eh? With a working floppy and modem? Well, the setup programs for both Internet Explorer and Netscape fit on a floppy. You just need to configure the dial-up connection and be connected to your ISP. The setup programs will then download the entire browser, etc. Takes about 2 hours on a dial-up connection. Hope they help...

Internet Explorer 5.5
Netscape Communicator 4.7
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 01:54 PM

If the owner used it for accessing a LAN, try hooking it up to your good PC over a hub/switch and download IEsetup to a shared directory on the good PC and run it from the old one.

You can also try the direct cable connection option over the serial ports if that doesn't work. Slow, but effective.
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

Protected By... spam firewall...And...