Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DBSTalk NCAA Basketball Tourney

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Nikos09

Nikos09

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:30 AM

Wow, what I'd do to have that accuracy. Sage is mopping up with 18 of 20 games correctly predicted.

By chance do you have tonight's lottery numbers?

If only I did, Danny... The good news for the rest of you guys is that UConn has broken my poor little heart. Add Bucknell to the mix and you have a very weary sage out here. :nono2:

Spent the weekend gloating at my brother's just prior to that disaster. Pride comes before the fall and I got to cry in my beer over the loss of one of my final four teams.

So....what little bit of luck I had going in to this tourney seems to have been burned out before lottery numbers were drawn. :nono:

But thanks for acknowledging my momentary greatness... :grin:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:39 AM

But thanks for acknowledging my momentary greatness...

Yeah, it was an impressive first round... and of course you are still in the lead, but your 2nd round picks were more human.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

#23 OFFLINE   Nikos09

Nikos09

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:06 AM

But thanks for acknowledging my momentary greatness...

Yeah, it was an impressive first round... and of course you are still in the lead, but your 2nd round picks were more human.

Couldn't last forever...but it made for sweet gloating while it lasted. My wife is pleased by my decreasing cranial size as well...

Next year i may have to take cdru advice and plunk a little down on my brackets...

#24 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:17 AM

Next year i may have to take cdru advice and plunk a little down on my brackets...

Remember thought that with real gambling, you aren't necessarily picking the team to win, but rather going against the point spread. It's easy to pick a No. 1 seed over a 16-seeded team, but when there is a 28 point spread, it makes things a lot harder.

I'm impressed though with some of the overall leaders in the Yahoo tourneyment. The current leader has picked 44 of 48 games right so far with 15 of his Sweet 16 teams still in.

#25 OFFLINE   Nikos09

Nikos09

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:11 AM

Remember thought that with real gambling, you aren't necessarily picking the team to win, but rather going against the point spread. It's easy to pick a No. 1 seed over a 16-seeded team, but when there is a 28 point spread, it makes things a lot harder.

I'm impressed though with some of the overall leaders in the Yahoo tourneyment. The current leader has picked 44 of 48 games right so far with 15 of his Sweet 16 teams still in.

That's a good point. The point spreads would have been a killer for me. Perhaps sticking to the minor leagues is more this sage's speed. Who knows though, might be worth the $20.

Sounds like you have a bit of experience on this subject though...

#26 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

Sounds like you have a bit of experience on this subject though...

No no no. The extent of my "gambling" is the occasional quick pick lotto when it's worth my while (> $100m) and the slot machines the one time I've been to Vegas. I do look at the odds, particularly the spread and over/under, though for my Fantasy Football team.

#27 OFFLINE   Sparkman87

Sparkman87

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:56 PM

Oh well, only 7 players. So who's who? I'm not certain who a couple of players are based on the email/yahoo ids.

Danny's Pick-em = me, Danny R
Tusk = Tusk
Guido_UL = Ray Clum
This isn't fantasy football? = cdru
Sparkman = ???
Kani = mwgiii
The Sage's Collection = ???

Couldn't figure me out, huh?

Well, I'm in 2nd now but Ok St going all the way is my only chance to win this, & since I'm an Illini fan, I can't root against em. I have 5 bracket out there & this is the only one I've picked against the Illini.

#28 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:37 PM

Hehe... guess its obvious. Sorry, you just aren't as frequent a poster as the others so the name didn't register.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

#29 OFFLINE   Sparkman87

Sparkman87

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:40 PM

Hehe... guess its obvious. Sorry, you just aren't as frequent a poster as the others so the name didn't register.

Pretty much stay in the E* forum.

#30 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:31 AM

Man I picked some wrong teams this year. The good news is that I'm still beating the 2 other people that matter for the money. :) It looks like it's going to come down to who makes it to the finals, Kentucky or North Carolina for the money.

#31 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:16 PM

After what happend in the Illini vs Arizona game. My Money is on the Illini to win it all. Go Illini Go!

#32 OFFLINE   Nikos09

Nikos09

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:14 AM

After what happend in the Illini vs Arizona game. My Money is on the Illini to win it all. Go Illini Go!

The Illini/Arizona game was definitely a must see event. It also looks like the Pick-em league is going to boil down to North Carolina or Illinois. The Illini win it all, so does the Sage. If it's NC, well... it cryin' in my beer time.

#33 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:15 AM

Looks like it's down to Tusk and Nikos09 tonight. Tusk gets it if NC wins, Nikos09 if Illinois.

#34 OFFLINE   Nikos09

Nikos09

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:42 PM

Looks like it's down to Tusk and Nikos09 tonight. Tusk gets it if NC wins, Nikos09 if Illinois.

Good news is that whoever pulls it out at the end, we all win with one heck of a game tonight. Should be one for the ages.

#35 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:11 PM

Good news is that whoever pulls it out at the end, we all win with one heck of a game tonight. Should be one for the ages.

You lack of a <knock on wood> tag thus has guaranteed that one team will blow the other team out of the water.

#36 OFFLINE   Tusk

Tusk

Back in the Game

• Gold Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

Cool, I haven't even checked the site in a week because so many of my teams had lost. I guess as always it comes down to the championship game. If NC wins, I guess I have bragging rights. If Illinois wins, I guess I'm a second place loser. :D

#37 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:45 PM

The Media hasn't given any love towards Illinois. All the so called "Experts" have chose Arizona to beat Illinois last week and that did not happen. Wake Forest was Ranked #1 earlier this season and Illinois Destroyed them earlier this season. Tonight It is the 2 best teams going for the National Championship. I'm going with Illinois. Everything has come together nicely for the Illini this season and I have to go with them. I think they will be cutting down the Nets tonight in St. Louis.

#38 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:41 PM

Congrats Tusk. You beat us by 3 points.

At least I won $15 bucks out of this...

#39 OFFLINE   Nikos09

Nikos09

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:51 AM

Congrats Tusk!

Not the outcome I would have liked but it was still a good game. I'd offer a number of complaints regarding the game but none of that is going to change the final outcome. Like Illinois, I'm going to take my beating and go on home.

(probably should have knocked on that wood though... :nono: )

#40 OFFLINE   Tusk

Tusk

Back in the Game

• Gold Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:36 AM

Man, this is the first pool I've ever won and I didn't even have money in it. I guess that proves the gambling is the devil :D.

Oh well, I can bask in the glory of my victory and the fact that I came in 91,904 overall. Not too shabby. :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...