Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver quit, any hope?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 08:45 PM

Probably NO, but I'll ask anyway. OK, Sony receiver. At some point today the TV was on, everything was fine, then all of a sudden no audio. No other noises, just was, then wasn't. I looked up and there was nothing on the display screen. Dead. I tried to turn it back on, nada. I tried waiting a little while, still nothing. I tried unplugging it, waiting, back in, nothing. Tried another socket, still no. I'd say the thing is pretty much dead. I guess.

Before I haul this back to CC and wait 2-3 weeks with no surround sound :icon_cry: , is there ANYTHING that might be relatively simple to check??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:28 AM

It sounds like you have a failed power supply. Check the back panel for a fuse or circuit breaker. If it's a power supply it will be easy to diagnose. Sadly, it may be cheaper to buy a new one than repair it.

#3 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:16 PM

Thanks anyway, NTDude. I decided I didn't want to leave any marks that the "authorized service center" could deem to be "vandalism" or "unauthorized repairs". Took it back to CC, should see it again in 2-3 weeks. They said it will go to Big D to get fixed. At least I had sprang for the service plan :contract: so I guess I will get my money's worth out of that. :rolleyes:

If they can't fix it, it will be a sign :sunsmile: :eek: that I needed a better one anyway. ;)

#4 OFFLINE   Laverne

Laverne

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:33 PM

One more question, for someone who might know, concerning said service on said receiver.

On my claim ticket it says "Warranty (L/P/O): Y/Y/N" Obviously the L and P are Labor and Parts, but what's the O?

#5 OFFLINE   David_A

David_A

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:03 AM

My guess would be Onsite.

#6 OFFLINE   nsafreak

nsafreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:31 AM

Yeah my guess would be O stands for onsite as well. I'm going to be honest here and say that I'm not a big fan of Sony receivers. So if it ends up that they can't fix it and they have to replace it if you have the option I would go with another brand. Circuit City carries both Harman Kardon and Onkyo receivers which I recommend above Sony.

#7 OFFLINE   Chucky

Chucky

Legend

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:21 AM

I'll second the Onkyo recommendation. I have the TX-SR 702 THX Receiver and absolutely love it. I have a Yamaha 5250 that I was going to use in the basement when it gets finished, but I think I will sell it and get another Onkyo. Kudos to Onkyo for making a great receiver.

I had a Sony receiver (STR-DE 715) It was my first HT receiver. I thought it was a good unit. Great for music, crappy for movies.
Chris

"When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ride There, Too"

Currently- SuperDish, DP-34, 510, 501, 301, Onkyo 7.1 THX Surround Sound, Klipsch 575 Watt Sub, Sony Speakers

Someday- Dish 522 Receiver (When avilable to Current Subs)

Chucky@DBSTalk.com

#8 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:12 PM

I am proud to say that I have a ABS home.

ABS = Anything But Sony.

I have been disappointed with every Sony product that I have ever purchased. I am currently using Yamaha, Outlaw and McIntosh A/V equipment and have never had a problem.
"But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to."
Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac

spam firewall