Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jerry 42

Jerry 42

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:41 PM

My question would seem to apply to Dish and / or Direct "grandfathered" customers but I will ask if someone on this forum knows the answer.

If as a "grandfathered" customer you choose to keep your Distant Network Signals (in my case NY) and drop your Local Network Singals (in my case LA) do you still get to keep your non network local signals? It work seem to be the case but I do not want to open a can of worms with the Satellite provider just yet.

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:02 PM

No.

In your case, by keeping the New York distant local package, you will no longer have access to any of the Los Angeles local channels.

#3 OFFLINE   derwin0

derwin0

Icon

• Registered
  • 538 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:04 AM

if you go with Distants, you will only have the big 4 (ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox) for both NY and LA. You will lose the non-network affiliates. You can however (with Dish) have KTLA as a standalone Super for $1.50/mo or as part of the SuperS package.

#4 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:10 AM

But if you live in LA, you cannot get the LA "distants". They are local channels. And if one lives in LA, you cannot get KTLA, because it is a local channel in LA, not a superstation.

#5 OFFLINE   Jerry 42

Jerry 42

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:52 PM

I am a bit confused -

I understood as a "grandfathered" sub you had to chose either the distant network siginals (DNS) or the local network siginals. If - derwinO - is correct I would love it.

As I said I am confused. When I picked the DNS option the CSR told me I would immediately lose the locals. That was more than a month ago and nothing has happened. I am still getting everything I got for the past 9 years. That is why I am asking here rather than opening a can of worms with the Satellite provider now.

While I can not get OTA locals there are, of course, ways to get the them which should not be discussed. I have been asked by an other sub what I will be getting which is the reason for my question.

#6 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:57 PM

Jerry, if you do not choose local channels, you lose access to all the local channels. Since you live in the LA DMA, you only will receive NY distant networks.

#7 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:24 PM

This is interesting. Can Jerry keep both NY AND his local LA stations?

#8 OFFLINE   Jerry 42

Jerry 42

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:45 PM

Thank you Greg.

As noted I did infact choose DNS - NY. I guess I will just wait and see what happens. There is always the other subs "Plan B" :).

#9 OFFLINE   YOUNGTOO

YOUNGTOO

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:05 PM

I was told that since I was grandfathered in 1996 for CBS & fox that I would not lose my distant networks from CHICAGO and that I could also keep my locals dma PADUCAH,KY / but had to give up ABC /NBC from CHICAGO because they rejected my waivers as of today. SO when are the significantly viewed stations going to be turned on, its almost APRIL and so for no news , I thought congress was in a hurry to get this done, has any one heard, STILL HOPING FOR ST.LOUIS LOCALS ,LIVE IN IL. BUT CLOSER TO ST.LOUIS THAN PADUCAH ,KY BUT NICE TO HAVE IL . NEWS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...