Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No guide on 721, rant, fix and ? (long)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rob944

Rob944

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:50 PM

I lost the guide on my 721 the other night. When I called I was told that it was a known software issue with the 721 and the new software would be out "sometime in April". I said that it was unacceptable to wait that long without the guide. When I asked for a new 721 you would have thought that I asked for Charlie's phone number. I had to go up two levels and still had to argue to get one (second level was a real a-hole) Their rational was that it was a software issue and they would not replace a good piece of hardware. My rational was that on the 4 previous (yes, 4)721's that they have sent, I never experienced this problem and why not try to make a good customer happy? They finally relented once I agreed to pay the shipping one way. The new box has a guide that works fine. Imagine that? I love the two tuner PVR technology but this has become a real headache. Does anyone know if this is really a software issue or does the 721 just suck? Are the new ones this bad?

Thanks
Rob

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DVDDAD

DVDDAD

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:11 PM

Rob,

I've lost the guide on my 721 a few times. It came back each time after putting into stand-by over night.
Best regards, Adam Okula
http://www.aokagency.com

#3 OFFLINE   Rob944

Rob944

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:29 PM

Please excuse my ignorance but does standby mean just shutting it off at night?

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:36 PM

Yes, but none of the receivers are ever truly "off." When in standby they keep the LNB powered in order to receive guide and software updates, watch for signals from the remote, and engage timers.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#5 Guest_SteveS_*

Guest_SteveS_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:49 PM

I've lost the guide on both my 721s numerous times. It is a known software issue. Sometimes the guide will return with a "power button reset". Sometimes it requires the "pull the smart card reset". Sometimes that doesn't return the guide.

What has worked (for me) without fail is pulling the plug on the offending 721 and waiting at least a half hour before plugging it back in. Guide missing, do that and it has returned every time (for me) ... YMMV.

I look at it as a "Windows blue screen of death" thing and live with it. Hopefully the next software rev will fix the guide problem ... and undoubtedly screw something else up royally.

I can't wait to see how the 942s are when they're relased :lol:

#6 OFFLINE   Rob944

Rob944

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:54 PM

Thank-you everyone for the tips. I did try the power button reset but it didn't work and I do turn the box off every night. I'll try the pull the plug deal the next time. When this thing works right, it is the greatest thing since the thong bikini, when it doesn't I want to throw it off of my deck. :D

#7 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:22 AM

Just for clarity... With the power reset you need to hold it down and count to 15. Well maybe not 15 but I always do to be safe. :)
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#8 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:59 PM

(snip) My rational was that on the 4 previous (yes, 4)721's that they have sent, I never experienced this problem and why not try to make a good customer happy? (snip)
Thanks
Rob

Only 4 units? I am on my 6th 721 since Aug. 2002. You are in deed blessed. ;)

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey
Sirius Sportster 4 Replay

#9 OFFLINE   Bob Haller

Bob Haller

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:09 PM

I must be 8 or 9, not sure lost count:(

Had 3 RMA units at one time. Found it was a LNB switch dishpro issue, my 508s ran fine on the same sat connections that spazed my 721s/ Advanced tech reports it was a software issue....

I HOPE E gets it, but doubt the new boxes will have good software.

I keep hopibng for a consumer reports article blasting them for junk quality, when junk operation hurts NEW sales Charlie will spend the money to fix it...

#10 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:22 PM

I have never lost the 721 Guide so there may be more to it than that. I would tel them that your friend has a 721 that has never had that issue with it so it must be something on their end and if it was in their software that was causing some of the issues then its their fault and that you should not have to pay the shipping for something that is their fault. If the CSR wont waive the fee hang up and call back until you get one that does.

#11 OFFLINE   Bob Haller

Bob Haller

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:20 PM

E mail CEO@ECHOSTAR.COM tell them your a poster here!

They should refund ALL your shipping!

#12 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:42 PM

I've been able to restore the guide by ensuring that the guide is set for "all channels" before rebooting. I think it is under "preferences".

#13 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:05 AM

I've been able to restore the guide by ensuring that the guide is set for "all channels" before rebooting. I think it is under "preferences".

Let me know if it happens again and if that "fix" of ALL CHANNELS works....perhaps that is the evasive fix. There doesn't appear to be any rhime or reason why my guide comes and goes on the 721.

#14 OFFLINE   musicmaker2020

musicmaker2020

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:37 AM

Funny he mentions the guide thing. I lost my guide on the 721 this week. It seems to happen to me whenever I play with the preferences in the menu. Couple day's later...look... no guide :nono2: . Not a biggie to me.

Holding the power button down till it resets does the trick for me. You will know it reset when you hear its fan spin up. Then it takes about 10-15 min to boot and you are all set.

For those 721 bashers that rant about how many they have been through. I have had mine for about a year now with hardly any problems. I started with the 90 hour recording time so I got the latest and greatest version out the door. But I do keep my fingers crossed after hearing so many horror stories. :righton:

Only gripe is that sometimes timers come back from the dead it seems. My girlfriend records a ton of shows because she works 3rd shift and doenst get to watch any of them.

Once in a while though it will record something out of the blue... on a timer that was removed weeks ago it seems. Strange. But other than that timer's dont usually fail and its pretty rock solid.

#15 OFFLINE   Rob944

Rob944

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:15 PM

Thanks again for the tips folks. I did just send Charlie an email to tell him how I was treated and asked for a return of my shipping charges. I also told him that the help that I received here was much better than Dish customer service. I will post if I get a response.

#16 OFFLINE   veith

veith

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:29 PM

I'm getting nervous. I've lost the guide a few times before but pulling the plug always brought it back. I've tried power button reset, pulling the card, and three pull the plug and wait routines. The software is 1.75, and it has been on a yellow card for several months. I always put it in standby every night. It is nine months old.

Any more suggestions? I really don't want to rma this box because I've babied it and used it lightly, and heeded every warning I read about ventilation, u.p.s., etc.

Thanks,
Charles

#17 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:00 PM

What they should do is make an option under menu setting so the user can allow an EPG download so we don't have to wait around for several hours to get it back.

#18 OFFLINE   veith

veith

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:13 AM

A 45 minute (timed by the clock) unplug routine finally brought the guide back. I had not timed the three previous unplugs but would have estimated them to be about 20 minutes more or less. During previous episodes unplugging and waiting about a minute brought it back.

Thanks to the poster who wrote about the 30 minute unplug.

Charles

#19 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:19 PM

I no longer pay Dish Network Shipping fees for replacements. I just plain out refuse to and they usually do waive the fee although the time before last they told me that it was going to be a one time thing or the last time they would but the rule is if you have a purchased warranty or within your warranty period and have credit card or checking account autopay (maybe even the annual prepay applies here) then you should not be charged the advanced exchange. An alternative is to ship the item to them first and it may save you a little bit on shipping charges although it may not if its a bigger item such as a DVR. Shipping it to them first delays the process of receiving a new one plus you have to find a box to ship it to them in. The $15 they charge includes getting your receiver shipped back.

#20 OFFLINE   Bob Haller

Bob Haller

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:20 PM

If pressured they will waive the fee.

I said, you spool software that makes my box unusable and want $15? From a $100 a month customer:(

Thats ok dont bother! I will get D in a few days and cancel.

they waived the fee.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...