Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Launch delayed till July 18th!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 10:03 AM

http://story.news.ya..._us_satellite_1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 10:26 AM

Damn! :(

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 12:31 PM

Well, better to get the satellite fixed than send up a dead bird!
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,846 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 22 June 2002 - 01:17 PM

Especially if your bird doesn't carry any insurance beyond launch insurance.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#5 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 22 June 2002 - 01:30 PM

Well, Tony, I wanna let you know that this might be the reason OK City locals have been delayed. Dish said they'd be launched on June 19th or soon thereafter. You might as well take them off until July 18th.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#6 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 02:26 PM

Ogre,

I don't get the connnection. Ok City was to have been uplinked to 119° spotbeam.

Anyway, I'm glad they caught the problem with E*8 before it was too late!

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#7 OFFLINE   J Rath

J Rath

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 02:54 PM

Apparently the problem is with the command receiver and no date has been set for rescheduling the launch.

http://spaceflightno...ar8/status.html

also here

EchoStar Press Release

#8 OFFLINE   Frapp

Frapp

Icon

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 06:38 PM

Originally posted by SParker
http://story.news.ya..._us_satellite_1

TICK TOCK, TICK TOCk .....

With DirecTV adding more locals, better PQ and more customers, I really think ( IMHO ) that the Dish/DTV merger will collapse in the next 3/4 months, DTV will look elsewhere and Rupert or another large entity will take DTV and give Dish Network competition that may finally send Ergen looking for a buyer.

I know my opinion is in the minority here, but that is what I feel will take place. Dish Networks whole future may be riding on this one.

Time will tell :shrug:

#9 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 22 June 2002 - 09:56 PM

I never thought of it that way before, Frapp, but I think that that could VERY well become a reality because you brought up several good points.
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#10 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 11:37 PM

I really think ( IMHO ) that the Dish/DTV merger will collapse in the next 3/4 months, DTV will look elsewhere and Rupert or another large entity will take DTV

I don't think there is a chance of this happening. For this to happen, assuming government approval, Charlie would have to walk away since they have a signed deal. This won't happen. GMH stock is down so far (along with Dish) they wouldn't be willing to let it go at current prices and Rupert is so mortgaged at this point that he couldn't do anything if he wanted to. He just recently wrote off somewhere in the neighborhood of $4Billion on his Gemstar investment alone along with additional writeoffs on other companies.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#11 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 11:43 PM

And why would E* go for a buyer? E is still adding more customers per quarter than DirecTV. E* has had positive ebitda for some time and is headed towards its frist "real" profit.

If E* is forced out of this deal by the government (and that is the only entity that can kill the deal right now), my guess it that E* will make due with the resources it has and even start going after KA band.

I see no good financial reason why E* would look for any kind of a buyer.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#12 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 23 June 2002 - 07:28 AM

Mergers and buyouts sometimes catch everyone by surprise. I've seen examples of proposed mergers that didn't happen because someone else came with a better offer. It's not always obvious what companies might be interested in acquiring others. It's entirely possible that another company (one that none of us would suspect) is looking at D* as we write...
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#13 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 03:20 PM

Yes, there are all sorts of people looking to buy a floundering company that has never made a profit, doesn't care how much it pays to vendors, and has millions on non-paying customers.

[Rouses himself from 1999 daydream] Ooops, sorry, I forgot that @home.com, pets.com, reel.com and most of the other companies that fit that description sank without a trace....
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

#14 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 04:18 PM

The merger will likely receive regulatory approval with some reasonable requirements.

If the merger doesn't go through, E* will look to partner with a large program provider, for example, Disney. The need to partner with a program provider would be further reinforced if News Corp. were to eventually acquire D*.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#15 OFFLINE   wrate

wrate

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 05:38 PM

Has it officially been said that July 18th will be the launching date?

The spaceflightnow site does not have a date yet.

Wrate

#16 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 06:16 PM

I am told that OK City is now up and the following stations are being transmitted, KOCO-ABC, KWTV-CBS, KFOR-NBC,
KOKH-FOX, KOCB-WB, KAUT-UPN, KETA-PBS and independent
KSBI.

Maybe Charlie will clear this up tonight.

I want Hartford Locals, DirecTV has them already! Arrggg.

#17 OFFLINE   J Rath

J Rath

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 06:17 PM

I don't think any "official" date has been set yet. The July 18th date was floated by some of the news wires when the launch was scrubbed. Maybe something will be mentioned on the chat tonight. :shrug:

#18 OFFLINE   TBarclay

TBarclay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 07:19 AM

Charlie said last night that the satellite is being "fixed" right now and he expects to launch when they can get a new launch window...probably in 4 to 6 weeks.

spam firewall