Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What the heck is this??

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   88fan

88fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 05:20 PM

Ok I've been doing all kinds of satellites and antennas for about 7 years now, but my neighbor just had something installed and I was curious what the heck it is. It is mounted on a dish mast that either dish or direct would use, and instead of a dish on it, there is a rectangular white box clamped on it. This box is about 12 inches high and 6 inches wide and about 4-6 inches deep. It is facing the southwestern sky too. Is this some generic off air antenna or what? Curiousity is killing me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:57 PM

Just guessing, but it could be a WiFi antenna. Your neighbor may be illegally creating a WiFi hotspot for other neighbors to share.

#3 OFFLINE   88fan

88fan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 07:11 PM

Share what? They don't have satellite, I know that for a fact, they're on cable.

#4 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 07:25 PM

Share internet. For examples sake lets say cable internet in your area is $50. Get a cheap wireless router from WalMart, have the neighbors get cheap PCI or USB adaptors, and charge them $10-$15 a month or something that costs $50. They get cheap broadband, you get free broadband or even make a profit.

There are also antennas that you can build that look similar to satellite dishes that can reverse engineer WIFI signals. A buddy of mine built one of these things, the antenna has a range of about 35 miles by default, he reflects it off of a water tower and gets a greater range and a choice of over 2 dozen unsecured wireless networks to connect to.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#5 OFFLINE   88fan

88fan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:11 PM

I got Dish and cable broadband for my internet......so your saying he could be sponging off of my services for free????

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:23 PM

Before we get ahead of ourselves here, could you find this device some where online? I would say post a pic of it, but I'm not sure your neighbor would appreciate having his roof on the net without his knowledge.

Do you have WiFi?
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#7 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:04 PM

Just guessing, but it could be a WiFi antenna. Your neighbor may be illegally creating a WiFi hotspot for other neighbors to share.

Why would you think this is being done "illegally" ???

Standard output level hotspots do NOT need to be licensed. Period.

Only 2.4GHz band transmissions over 30dBi (omni) 36dBi (directional) need licensing.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#8 OFFLINE   BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:07 AM

Why would you think this is being done "illegally" ???

Standard output level hotspots do NOT need to be licensed. Period.

Only 2.4GHz band transmissions over 30dBi (omni) 36dBi (directional) need licensing.

My point was that the illegality would be the sharing of his Internet service to neighbors. That's a violation of his ISP's TOS.

#9 OFFLINE   88fan

88fan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:53 AM

Really guys, my neighbor is a pretty decent guy. I really would be suprised if he's into anything illegal. I was just wondering what this device was on his roof.

#10 OFFLINE   Orcatek

Orcatek

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:17 AM

Why not just ask him?
Orcatek

#11 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:49 AM

My point was that the illegality would be the sharing of his Internet service to neighbors. That's a violation of his ISP's TOS.

Again, you do NOT know that sharing is illegal unless you have read the contract that HE signed. Not all ISPs are dictators, although I will admit that most are.

The GOOD ones understand that they are selling bandwidth, not client connections, and deal with that accordingly.

In this case, he's probably just a WISP client, and not actually sharing.

#12 OFFLINE   mcglauch

mcglauch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:57 AM

Couldn't it be a square shooter hdtv antenna?

#13 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:56 PM

Why not take a snap and post it?

Ok I've been doing all kinds of satellites and antennas for about 7 years now, but my neighbor just had something installed and I was curious what the heck it is. It is mounted on a dish mast that either dish or direct would use, and instead of a dish on it, there is a rectangular white box clamped on it. This box is about 12 inches high and 6 inches wide and about 4-6 inches deep. It is facing the southwestern sky too. Is this some generic off air antenna or what? Curiousity is killing me.

Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#14 OFFLINE   ghfiii

ghfiii

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:14 AM

One of the local ISPs in our area uses antennas that look similar to what you described for wireless internet access distribution.

#15 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:33 PM

That is what I need, to get a high speed internet signal from town transmitted through an antenna. I can only get 24K dialup. It used to be 53K but when I switched phone companies it went down to 24K and when I went back to the original one its still only 24K and they said that they only guarantee a dialtone thats all. I'd like to know more information on this antenna.

#16 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,245 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 26 March 2005 - 03:44 PM

Well. that settles that!

What we have here is a is a rectangular white box about 12 inches high and 6 inches wide and about 4-6 inches deep, facing the southwestern sky WiFi antenna making an illegal wifi hotspot with a square shooter hdtv antenna running at 2.4 mHz, band transmissions while pumping out over 30dBi (omni) 36dBi (directional) for wireless internet access & distribution.

Go ask.:rolleyes:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#17 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:45 AM

Could it be this Terk HDTV-S antenna I saw at Best Buy?
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#18 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:02 PM

That "Terk" antenna has a Winegard logo on it. http://www.winegard....uareshooter.htm :D
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#19 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:07 PM

Does it look anything like the top dish in my avatar?

That's a Motorola Canopy transceiver (available in several frequencies between 900MHz and 5.8GHz), used for MMDS and WiFi. Canopy is a wireless terrestrial RF subscriber module commonly used for highspeed internet connectivity or for municipal emergency services. Speeds vary depending on provider equipment, but it is rated up to 45Mbps. There are 2 carriers in my area and they advertise 2 way residential service up to 7Mbps with a 12Mbps frame burst. Business plans are much higher bandwidth. BTW there are a couple of tower modules that are almost identical to a square shooter except the housing color is an off white instead of grey. Dimensions are close though.

http://motorola.cano...show&recID=1438

#20 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:10 PM

That "Terk" antenna has a Winegard logo on it. http://www.winegard....uareshooter.htm :D

Winegard does produce private labeled antennas for Terk.

spam firewall