Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

508 problem/question after 3.00 update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:20 AM

Tried to access some of the recordings on the hard drive, but could not. They still showed as being available, but I could never get them to play. Also, does the 508 have 60 hours available for recording or 80 hours? Dish's "help" screens say 80 hours, but my 508 says 60 hours available.

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   musicmaker2020

musicmaker2020

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:02 AM

My 508's recordings still work that were from the previous update. Matter of fact I have recorded some shows since and they seem to work normally. I dont play a whole lot with my 508 because its in my office but it seems to work normally for me.

That 80 hour thing I will look up and get back with you. I think the 80 hour time is the 510. My 508 has 60 hours recording. Dish has been known to up hard drives in newer releases though. The 721 orginally had a smaller drive and newer ones have bigger ones. Sounds like a typo in the help screens.

#3 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:14 PM

Two weeks in a row I have set my 508 to record American Idol on Fox. Both times it records the show and then about halfway through playback of the show and it locks up. I have not seen the problem on any other show. When I was initially watching the recorded show, there were a lot of motion artifacts in the recording. I also record 24 on Monday nights and have not had a problem there but am concerned that this might be related to the new release. I have had no problems with my 508 in the 2.5 years that I have owned it. Does this sound like it could be related to the new software release?

..Doyle

#4 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:14 AM

The timer I had set for "Lost" prior to the latest update worked ok last night. I was able to watch last night's recording. I did not watch all of it just a few minutes to make sure it was there.

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#5 OFFLINE   Pils

Pils

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:33 AM

Besides missing 4 out of 7 timers in two days with the new release, I have had a timer record 21 minutes of the 30 minutes and stop and I have had DD audio problems where it breaks out for a couple seconds. They managed to mess up good software, congrats! What a horrible software team all across the board. I had no problems with the past software revisions.

#6 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:03 PM

Its incredible they sent this down after they already knew the problems with BEV 5X00 receivers.

#7 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:20 PM

Pils, that is pretty much what happened with mine. The timer recorded what looked like the whole show but in the end if only got half of the show and the rest was a frozen frame and lockup.
..Doyle

#8 OFFLINE   Chucky

Chucky

Legend

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:19 AM

My 501 & 510 randomly miss recordings since the P3.00 update. the 510 also recorded 53 mins. of a 1 hr. program.

I called Dish tech support last night to see if this was an issue with the new update. Nope. They "said" that they do not know about this.

Kudos to Dish on releasing crappy software to mess up a stable receiver.
Chris

"When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ride There, Too"

Currently- SuperDish, DP-34, 510, 501, 301, Onkyo 7.1 THX Surround Sound, Klipsch 575 Watt Sub, Sony Speakers

Someday- Dish 522 Receiver (When avilable to Current Subs)

Chucky@DBSTalk.com

#9 OFFLINE   Pils

Pils

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:25 AM

They are a horrible CSR company, they tend to blame the customer for their problems. And even if it is a widespread problem, they say we know nothing of the problem. Ask Kristen at the execustive office, I told her of it and she said there is not a problem, contact technical help. I am tempted to post their phone numbers so everyone can report their problems but I will not stoop to their level. But....

#10 OFFLINE   cdoyle

cdoyle

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 10:11 AM

I noticed my 508 has done this a couple times now since it got the new software. It's really starting to get annoying.

#11 OFFLINE   currahee99

currahee99

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:59 AM

I have the opposite problem of you guys. My 510 receiver is set up for a manual recording M-F for 11pm to 12am. The Dvr fires up at 11pm but does not stop recording. It continues to record all night so when i wake up in the morning it is still recording and I have 8+ hours of the same channel. I have to stop the recording manually.

#12 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 857 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:01 AM

I have the opposite problem of you guys. My 510 receiver is set up for a manual recording M-F for 11pm to 12am. The Dvr fires up at 11pm but does not stop recording. It continues to record all night so when i wake up in the morning it is still recording and I have 8+ hours of the same channel. I have to stop the recording manually.

Could it be that your 510 thinks that 12am is 12 noon and not 12 midnight?
If it were me I would change the timer to record from 11PM to 1201AM and remove this doubt. :sure:

#13 OFFLINE   MrPete

MrPete

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:23 PM

Knock on wood, but I haven't had any problems on my 508 and 510.

Of course, I did make sure to reset the DVR after the download by pressing(and holding) the power button on the DVR (not remote) for 5 secs.

#14 OFFLINE   Pils

Pils

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:59 PM

I have reset it that way about 20 times since download. Luckily someone made it thru without problems.

#15 OFFLINE   geobernd

geobernd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:40 AM

I have reset it that way about 20 times since download. Luckily someone made it thru without problems.

Me too... It seems that at least every other night it's somehow locked up - two or three times I had to pull the plug to get it back to live... It magically always recorded what it was supposed to and I was able to play the recordings back with no problem.... But the lockups where definately not there before 3.00....
I want my old Firmware back...

Edit:
Maybe the lockups have to do with the flix for 'blank screen'. I used to get the black screen pretty often (about every other day) - now I get lockups... So I guess they fixed the blank screen issue by locking up the receiver before the screen goes blank :eek2:

#16 OFFLINE   Pils

Pils

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:02 PM

I never had the blackout problem. I would almost choose the black screen over lockup.

#17 OFFLINE   geobernd

geobernd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:54 PM

I never had the blackout problem. I would almost choose the black screen over lockup.

Me too - if I had a choice... I suspect the blackout problem is a result of a very short loss of signal... I only used to get it when I am tuned to one of the international channels on 121. Never got it on a channel on 110 or 119....
The fix for the blackout was quicker too, hit menu, hit live and you are back in business...

#18 OFFLINE   Turbohawk

Turbohawk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:00 PM

Damnit Echostar! My 508 is buggy now with the latest software!!! It takes 3 times longer to tune to stations, it is not recording when it's supposed to, and now it's saying I have 60+ hours of free space yet I JUST had 2 hours free last night!

DAMNIT TO HELL!!!!! None of my saved programs are playable! WTf????????????????????????

Gonna call RIGHT NOW...

#19 OFFLINE   Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:41 PM

I am glad to see I am not alone. My 508 was solid until the 3.00 download. Now it locks up, fails to play a recored event when I select it and the screen goes black.

Such quality...NOT!

#20 OFFLINE   Turbohawk

Turbohawk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:14 PM

It's official. ALL of my saved programs are gone! GONE! Why? Who the hell knows, cause Dishnet is NOT being helpful.

The unit itself (a 508) seems to be working fine now...just I lost many hours of cool shows and a few Races that I was going to watch this coming week and now it's all inexplicably gone.

This is official notice to Dishnet: If anything happens like this again, YOU'RE FIRED!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...