Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help me get 61.5...:-((

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dish_it

dish_it

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:33 PM

I am trying to get the international programming on my dish 500 that was earlier getting 110/119 channel programs. Here is what all I have tried but still I don't get any signal on 61.5W

My configuration : Dish 500 with Twin LNBF - Dish Pro
Receiver - 4900 with Activated card (Paying customer)

1st Try - Took the dish from original location to install it at different location so it can see 61.5W ( 174 Az and 42 elevation). Just connected only one output from LNBF to the receiver directly. No signal

2nd Try - Covered the right eye of LNBF with aluminium foil, used only left eye, pointed to the correct direction for 61.5, still no signal

3rd Try - Someone suggested, get a Direct TV Dual LNBF+Dish so picked up the Direct TV dual LNBF dish package and tried in the right direction, still no signal. Moved the dish around slowly, but no signal on any transponder.

I have clear view of the sky where I am pointing so nothing can block it.

Now I am not sure what to do. Please help me on how to get the signal of 61.5 with either Dish 500 Dish Pro Twin LNBF or Direct TV Dual LNBF Dish or any other equipment that I need. There are no switches installed and did Check Switch many times, unplugged the receiver etc etc.

Dish 500 works for 110W perfectly.

Please suggest something, I am totally out of ideas now.

dish_it

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

It sounds like you aren't pointing in the right direction. Remember that with a Dish 500, you need to point it 4.5 degrees to the left or right of the satellite you want (since it's made to pick up two satellites 9 degrees apart).
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#3 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:19 PM

If you dont mind installing the system yourself just get a dis 300 with a dual lnb, and get a 3x4 switch so you can pick up all 3 birds you are looking for. Then, if you are still having trouble, pick up a satellite finder they run about $35 or so.l
KL

#4 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:47 PM

Keep in mind that the 61.5 is about 90 degrees from where the 110/119 is. Try hitting the 110 on the D* dish(which will work fine, no Dish 300 needed. It's the exact same thing other than the lnb shape where it bolts onto the arm). It should be about 35 degrees. Once you have it, raise the dish to 40 degrees, and swing it east. Most E* receivers will show that you are getting a signal on Nimiq 1 & 2, or the Bell ExpressVu sats at the 92 and 81 slots. If you hit those, keep moving east. Keep in mind that it takes the E* receiver a couple of seconds to show it has aquired a singal, so patience is the #1 tool. So long as you mast is level and you are pointing the the general direction with no LOS issues, you should find it. Also keep in mind that some dishes are not labeled corrected. I installed a D* dish the other day, and instead of hitting the 101 at 39 degrees, It was at 36 degrees with a completely level mast. Also keep in mind that compasses are not 100% accurate, and they can be off as much as 10-15% due to surronding metal or interference. Good luck.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#5 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:49 PM

If you dont mind installing the system yourself just get a dis 300 with a dual lnb, and get a 3x4 switch so you can pick up all 3 birds you are looking for. Then, if you are still having trouble, pick up a satellite finder they run about $35 or so.l

a 3x4 switch is a D* style 1 sat multiswith that only allows 1 sat for 4 receivers. If he is using a legacy system, he would need either a 500 Twin on the main dish and an SW21 to tie in the 61.5 OR an SW64. If he has a DP system, the D* dish will NOT work and he would need either a DP Twin on the D500 and DP21s for the 61.5 or a DP34.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#6 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:15 PM

...a 3x4 switch is a D* style 1 sat multiswith that only allows 1 sat for 4 receivers...

Sorry Larry, I am aware of the difference I just called the DP34 a 3x4... I'm kinda new to the boards I'll be sure in future posts to differentiate.
KL

#7 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:18 PM

No prob. That's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure anyone reading this thread new that. I call a Legacy Twin a 500 Twin, which is what the E* receivers call it, and I do the DP+44 with the + to make it easier to differeniate than the DPP everyone else uses.

#8 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the advice. This board has been very helpful in expanding my "Echostar Knowledge Base". :)
KL

#9 OFFLINE   rurso

rurso

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:43 AM

Dish it: My configuration : Dish 500 with Twin LNBF - Dish Pro
Receiver - 4900 with Activated card (Paying customer). That ird is a legacy,if the lnbs are dp it won't work without a dp adapter. I find it hard to believe he was using the combination unless he had the adapter.The dp lnbs usually have a built in switch. If you are using only one ird thats fine. With additional irds then you need another switch. You can use the dual and use either output but it has to be aligned. the dual heads are spaced 6deg apart so you can pick up 110/119.

#10 OFFLINE   dish_it

dish_it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:59 AM

rurso,

Its not clear what you are saying.

R u saying that using a Dish Pro twin LNB+4900 receiver and direcly connecting one of the LNB eye ( the left one) to the satellite input on 4900 receiver is not going to work for 61.5 channels ?

I have a Direct TV dual LNB also with Direct TV dish. What about that for 61.5 ?

dish_it

#11 OFFLINE   stonecold

stonecold

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 583 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:56 PM

DISH IT,

Dishpro LNBs do not work with the 4900 unless your but the Dish Pro adapter which is a device that allows you to use your legacy 4900 with the newer dish pro equipment. With out it you are not going to get a signal.

#12 OFFLINE   rurso

rurso

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:41 PM

rurso,

Its not clear what you are saying.

R u saying that using a Dish Pro twin LNB+4900 receiver and direcly connecting one of the LNB eye ( the left one) to the satellite input on 4900 receiver is not going to work for 61.5 channels ?

I have a Direct TV dual LNB also with Direct TV dish. What about that for 61.5 ?

dish_it

As stonecold said the combination won't work without the adapter. You will pick up 61.5 if you are aimed at it but the ird won't. Here is how it works. Legacy the forerunner of dish and used different lnbs that operate at 18volts, the dish pro lnbs operate at 20volts. The newer dp receivers put out 20volts but the legacy IRDS only put out 18volts. To make a legacy ird work with dp lnbs you need whats called a dpadapter. What this does is boosts the legacy 18volts to 20volts so that you can use that ird with the dp lnbs. Any ird numbered 4900 and below is a legacy. That adapter is only good for one ird. If you use more than one legacy irds you would have to buy an adapter for each. Hope this is a little clearer.

#13 OFFLINE   dish_it

dish_it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:54 PM

Thanks a bunch stonecold!!!!!

I think this exactly is the problem. I am trying to use DishPro Twin LNB with Legacy 4900 receiver. Now I am ordering the legacy single lnbf and a satellite finder meter ( both on ebay) and will try again.

#14 OFFLINE   dish_it

dish_it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:56 PM

Yes rurso. Thanks.... this is crystal clear now. Btw. what does ird stand for ?

#15 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:10 PM

Whoa, hold up. Don't waste your $$ if you already have a Directv dish. It will work just fine with the 4900. With the 61.5, you only need a single sat LNB. A 500 Twin is a complete waste and uneeded.

Good job stonecold/rurso. I completely missed the DP part.

#16 OFFLINE   rurso

rurso

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:18 PM

Yes rurso. Thanks.... this is crystal clear now. Btw. what does ird stand for ?

Thats the short for receiver/ird. Here is the definition: IRD / RECIVER

IRD is an acronym for Integrated Receiver-Decoder. An Ird is your receiver.

#17 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 06:15 PM

RURSO:

About half of what you said is accurate.

While good help is always appreciated, maybe you should sit back and do some more learnin' before trying to teach.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#18 OFFLINE   rurso

rurso

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:19 PM

RURSO:

About half of what you said is accurate.

While good help is always appreciated, maybe you should sit back and do some more learnin' before trying to teach.

Thats exactly what I'll do,thanks for the advice.

#19 OFFLINE   dish_it

dish_it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:17 PM

It works... Thanks everyone for helpful info. I put up a dual legacy LNB and also used a signal meter for properly aiming the dish. Now my setup is locked to 61.5 with aboout 120 signal strength.

Thanks again !!!! This forum is great.

dish_it

Protected By... spam firewall...And...