Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Time Warner cable stinks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:28 AM

Left Dish and went back to the Time Warner buy back program. It started out great but soon ran into big problems on the HD side. I kept having pixing, bad pixing problems on certain network channels. They replaced my HD-DVR 8300 5 times. Replaced wiring in house 2 times. Finally they said they found a bad laser on the main line. It would work for a few days and start again. Then I was told it had something to do with Quam issues. This has gone on for 3 months since leaving Dish Network. I have used about 3 days of personal vacation to meet them here for work. HBO on demand works sometimes, sometimes not. Analog is terrible. If you thought dbs was a little washed, cable analog is bleached. This has been the nightmare from heck. Digital is no better than standard dbs. Its great for a year, than it will cost a fortune to maintain anything worthwhile.
They have been responsive, but I am sick of this crap. I am watering at the mouth to get a 942 and come back home. Go ahead, try these satellite buy-back programs if you want to, but you will regret it. The above statement in reality is about 10 percent of the problems I have had. I have to pull my foot out of my ***, and admit that Dish is still the best. Now just get the 942 out there, so fools like me can correct their mistakes.

Man, did I ever screw up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:03 AM

Actually I left DISH for D* back in July of last year and haven't regretted since. Just recently I switched my other account from DISH to Comcast HD Cable and haven't regretted that one bit either. Yeah the analog could be better, but its a great deal. It's all about where you're at, who your provider is and how it works out for you. We would never think of grouping all the sats together, I think we should discern between the cable companies a little more too, not just always say... "cable sucks"
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#3 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:07 AM

I think we should discern between the cable companies a little more too, not just always say... "cable sucks"

Well, his title is "Time Warner cable stinks". So he did qualify the company.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#4 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:41 AM

Go ahead, try these satellite buy-back programs if you want to, but you will regret it.

My beef was in fact with that statement. One shouldn't generalize that ALL of the buyback programs are bad just because TWC in his area isn't backing up the bargain.

#5 OFFLINE   moedog

moedog

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:31 AM

As a DISH subscriber, I hate to say it but my experience is that TIme Warner in the CHarlotte region pretty much outdoes DISH. Significantly more English language channels, than is possible on DISH, more HBO and SHowtime channels, including on demand channels, and free on-demand channels for basic channels. Subchannels of all local digitals and of course, HDTV from all local channels. THe main digital channel of all locals on the TW digital tier. Competitve, picture quality with Dish, and certainly with Direct. COst for all this---about $3.00 less a month than I pay DISH. Sorry

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:59 PM

YMMV. I won't go back to Comcast Sacramento, and I love my DirecTiVo. HD isn't a issue for me at the moment.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#7 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:45 PM

Well, so far my experience with Time Warner's buyback program is a positive one. Lots more HD programming, I really like the Scientific-Atlanta 8300HD DVR, and am happy so far with PQ. Not to say that the installation was totally smooth, but now that things have settled down, I'm satisfied. Time will tell.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#8 OFFLINE   MarkoC

MarkoC

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:43 PM

I have had a pretty good experience with TWC in Minneapolis. They have more HD than Dish and the 8300 HD DVR has worked pretty well. :)
"I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government." -- Woody Allen

#9 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:00 AM

In July I'm going back to Time Warner. They have cleaned up their act in the past 6 years, and now they are the one's on the cutting edge of technology. I'll miss my DirecTiVos for sure, but I'll learn to like the Explorer 8300. DBS has done it's part as cables competitor to force them to improve their service.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#10 OFFLINE   BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:50 AM

I'm sticking with SBC - Dish. SBC's Project Lightspeed and IPTV is very promising. http://www.sbc.com/lightspeed.

#11 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:19 PM

I live in one of the largest, premier housing additions in the South Bend area and was told recently by a tech working on our street that fiber for our area is FAR OFF. SBC is working a lot slower than Verizon on the FTTH front. I think it would be sweet to be receiving a bundle from SBC that is possibly cheaper than my SBC/Comcast/DirecTV that I have now, but it doesn't look like anytime soon.

#12 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

I'm sticking with SBC - Dish. SBC's Project Lightspeed and IPTV is very promising. http://www.sbc.com/lightspeed.

IPTV is a technology that is "not quite there" according to some people that I know that have been testing it. My local phone company is in the early stages of putting in the equipment needed to provide it. They hope to roll it out to the public next year.
Bill R

#13 OFFLINE   navsatx

navsatx

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:33 PM

I had twc for years until I got DISH and were trying to get me back but I m glad I left them. Too expensive especially the Road Runner which I also had and cancelled. I'm staying with DISH and SBC High Speed - they are the best and keep getting better and better in my opinion and besides DISH is the only one that can give access to Sky Angel programming and also has the best channel lineup - many awesome international channels too.

#14 OFFLINE   compressor

compressor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:09 PM

No good experience with TWC either here in Central NY.
Analog has pathetic even after 4 visits. Phone service has typical 30-45 min waits even at 7 pm.

Staying with Dish for now. The Customer Service can be better no doubt.

#15 OFFLINE   SHS

SHS

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationVinita, OK

Posted 13 December 2005 - 05:36 PM

In my area 3Dcomb the is the biggest problem and as I under unless you can get Fiber Optic line the PQ will alway stinks

#16 OFFLINE   ban_cable

ban_cable

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 06:10 PM

Comcast is the company that sucks.

Horrible poor educational rude customer service workers
People who cannot talk correctly and argue back
High Prices
Poor Channels
Never Listen
Never Apologize
Keep charging FCC taxes.

Stay with DISH OR DIRECT TV. Like my ID, ban cable.

#17 OFFLINE   Rop

Rop

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:50 AM

After many years with TW (in the Raleigh-Durham area) I switched to Dish last year. On the whole, my observation is that they both have the pros and cons. The on-screen guide of TW is much better than Dish's. Analog channels on TW suck, despite Dish's compression they're much better there. The one thing I miss most though is TW's HD quality. They were passing the full bandwidth stream over the line, no re-compression. I had both side-by-side on a 60" LCD TV for a while and the difference was quite obvious. Dish HD is not bad, but misses the "punch" for lack of a better word of real HD. Good HD on TW was like looking through a window, even after a few years it was still jaw dropping. That doesn't happen with Dish. Then there's the compression artifacts on motion for HD channels on Dish. So it's a mixed bag...

-Rob-

spam firewall