Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Local channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Taylor

Taylor

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:05 PM

Here is my situation:
I live in the Harrisonburg DMA and based on zip code, I am not allowed to receive local stations through DirecTV. When I asked to get the distant feeds, they said I needed a waiver from 5 stations because they are local to me. Makes sense so far.......

What I don't understand is that 3 of these 5 stations are being broadcast by DirecTV over satellite. If I need a waiver because they are local, why can't I just receive those stations?

Any help clearing this up would be appreciated. DirecTV has been no help explaining this to me.

On another note...... The FCC website says that waivers not answered after 30 days are considered "granted." DirecTV says that their policy is 45 days. I don't think I can trust them with anything they tell me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   News Junky

News Junky

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:36 PM

I might be wrong but DirecTV is required to offer you the Harrisonburg local stations if they in fact carry them. What they cannot do is offer you New York, Los Angeles or any other city's local station as long as you're in the Harrisonburg TV market even if you have waivers.

Its wierd and complicated.

#3 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:03 PM

Its wierd and complicated.

You'd better believe it...

Here is my situation:
I live in the Harrisonburg DMA and based on zip code, I am not allowed to receive local stations through DirecTV. When I asked to get the distant feeds, they said I needed a waiver from 5 stations because they are local to me. Makes sense so far.......

Ok. It does make sense...

1) You reside in a market where DirecTV does not provide local channels, the Harrisonburg DMA. Therefore, in order to receive an "out-of-market" feed, DirecTV must request waivers from any station that says you can receive their signal with an antenna.

What I don't understand is that 3 of these 5 stations are being broadcast by DirecTV over satellite. If I need a waiver because they are local, why can't I just receive those stations?

The Harrisonburg DMA consists of 2 full power stations: WHSV, ABC channel 3; and WVPT, Virginia's Public Television, broadcasting on channel 51. Since DirecTV does not carry the stations in your local market, the other three stations must be out of your market. The process for significantly-viewed has not made it onto DirecTV or Dish Network at this time, so you are unable to receive these channels from a neighboring market.

I'm curious as to which channels you believe are local to you.

On another note...... The FCC website says that waivers not answered after 30 days are considered "granted." DirecTV says that their policy is 45 days. I don't think I can trust them with anything they tell me.

Because DirecTV (and Dish Network) do not submit the waiver request the moment you ask for it. They normally process a load of them at a time. So, it can take up to 15 days for DirecTV (and Dish Network) to process a waiver request to Decision Mark (a company that specializes in television broadcast coverage).

What they cannot do is offer you New York, Los Angeles or any other city's local station as long as you're in the Harrisonburg TV market even if you have waivers.

No, if Taylor receives waivers from the stations that broadcast in his/her area, s/he will have the ability to receive the New York and/or Los Angeles network channels from DirecTV. This is because DirecTV does not carry the Harrisonburg channels.

#4 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:17 PM

Its a hole in the law, and one the Congress did not fix.

First, you have the idea of "local into local". Meaning that DBS has the right to carry your local stations to you, based on a map that is based on county lines. You live in the Harrisonburg DMA and DBS could offer you the Harrisonburg stations. But, because of economics, the market being too small, DirecTV chooses not to offer locals in the Harrisonburg DMA.

OK, now you need to qualify for "distants". To do that you have to be outside the reception range of a station of that particular network, called a "Grade B Contour". Or get a waiver from that station. Your home is inside the Grade B of 5 stations, three of them being in neighboring DMAs.

IMHO, the next time they rewrite the law, DBS should be allowed to simply offer you any channel that you are within the Grade B of, or any channel that a cable company in your same county carries.

#5 OFFLINE   Taylor

Taylor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:27 PM

I understand that I would need to get a waiver from my local stations in the Harrisonburg DMA. DirecTV has said that I need a waiver from stations broadcast from Washington DC. I read on another website that the DMA is only a guideline as to what local channels to offer people.

I also emailed Neilsen Media about the DMA and they said that if a network is not part of my DMA (ie FOX) then I should be able to receive stations from a DMA close to mine.

#6 OFFLINE   joblo

joblo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:50 PM

Staunton, VA is served by translators for WTTG-FOX-5 in DC, WUSA-CBS-9 in DC, and WVIR-NBC-29 in Charlottesville, VA.

These stations could be provided as part of locals service if the H'burg stations were also provided, but carry-one-carry-all rule for local service precludes them from offering you just these three channels, even if they are already uplinked for other markets.

They could, however, make just these three stations available as distants if the stations granted station-specific waivers for their own signals.

However, as far as I know, D* policy is to offer only NY/LA stations as distants, which significantly reduces the likelihood of waivers being granted.

spam firewall