Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HDTV

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sbturner

sbturner

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:40 PM

Ok guys I just broke down and got a new HD set. After much surfing and shopping I decided on a Samsung DLP HLP4663W 46". I don't have a real big viewing area so I couldn't go much bigger. Went ahead and got the four year in home warranty, because I have seen some discussions on other boards of audio sync issues although I think this is much more prevelent in the HLN series the year before. Please tell me I didn't make a mistake the TV and warranty with shipping is under $2000. I am looking forward to watching HD content from DISH network later when I can get a DVR 942. Can anybody talk about the performance of this tv in SD or HD. How about with a Playstation 2? I have a regular DVD player I guess I'll have to break down and eventually get a Progressive Scan. For getting the digital picture which connection is better the DVI or HDMI? I have a Sony audio system that will be connected with a digital audio cable. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:22 PM

Alright, I can try and help you out with these questions as best I can. Samsung is becoming a very well respected brand in consumer electronics and is poised to try and take the crown from Sony as the leader in mass market consumer electronics. Their quality has steadily grown and they are making a good showing with some great quality tv sets and dvd/audio products. As for your Sammy set, you bought a good quality set for the size and should be happy with the picture. I can't speak for how much you paid as I have a front projection system that I only paid 2k for, so I would never think about paying that much for an actual monitor again. Your situation though sounds like the set will do well in a smaller setting though. As for DVI vs HDMI, same thing only HDMI has sound included in the same pathways. This doesn't degrade the quality of your signal as it's all digital anyways. PS2 does look great on a digital tv btw and should make for an awesome gaming experience....
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#3 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:17 PM

Yup, its a good TV, but the 942 isn't anything special. Its really no better then a 921. Dish also has no plans to expand its HD line-up, like DirecTV does. I would recommend Voom, but their almost out-of-business. If you want an HD DVR, then DirecTV is by far your best choice. You just can't top the HD DirecTivo.

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 26 March 2005 - 10:05 PM

Pay no attention to our little bad-news buddy. He's always ready to tell you you made a mistake because he is consistently biased against what anyone else does. What a downer kind of guy he is. :rolleyes:

Congrats on you new HD set. It is a good one, but the time to ask for advice on an HD set is before you buy, not after.

VOOM is fine, but if sports are your forte, go with D*

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   nightstick911

nightstick911

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 06:22 AM

Ok guys I just broke down and got a new HD set. After much surfing and shopping I decided on a Samsung DLP HLP4663W 46". I don't have a real big viewing area so I couldn't go much bigger. Went ahead and got the four year in home warranty, because I have seen some discussions on other boards of audio sync issues although I think this is much more prevelent in the HLN series the year before. Please tell me I didn't make a mistake the TV and warranty with shipping is under $2000. I am looking forward to watching HD content from DISH network later when I can get a DVR 942. Can anybody talk about the performance of this tv in SD or HD. How about with a Playstation 2? I have a regular DVD player I guess I'll have to break down and eventually get a Progressive Scan. For getting the digital picture which connection is better the DVI or HDMI? I have a Sony audio system that will be connected with a digital audio cable. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm curious why you would get the warranty for aduio sync issues. you say you have a sony audio system (5.1?). what part will your monitor play in your audio setup that you need the warranty for? even if your going to use the speakers on your tv i dont see the need

any audio issues would be between you sat reciever and your sony system.

#6 OFFLINE   sbturner

sbturner

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:07 AM

Well I had heard that some model Samsungs had some audio sync problems, something to do with chip. I've also heard they have an issue with lag and playstaion 2. If anybody knows anything let know, I am patiently waiting for my TV to get here. And as far as direct goes, I have thought of swicthing but I've heard the tivo are very slow.

#7 OFFLINE   jbrettz

jbrettz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:21 PM

I have the Samsung HLN43. `15 months old and my color wheel starting whining as the TV came on and the whining was quite annoying. I had the extended warrant , came out and replace the color wheel, which I was told the only problem they have had with the Samsungs. I'm glad I had the extended warranty. New product and new technology and not long term tested led me to go that route. I have a rear projection TV , 7 years old, never had a problem with it, did not buy the extended warranty.

Enjoy your Samsung.

Brett :)

#8 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:04 PM

I have a samsung ota tuner, the hardware seems fine but the software is really buggy, its easy to make the box crash and reboot itself. I don't know if that model has a tuner but you might look for an external solution.

#9 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:15 PM

Yup, its a good TV, but the 942 isn't anything special. Its really no better then a 921. Dish also has no plans to expand its HD line-up, like DirecTV does. I would recommend Voom, but their almost out-of-business. If you want an HD DVR, then DirecTV is by far your best choice. You just can't top the HD DirecTivo.

Not true.....dish has already picked up 10 of the voom channels & is planning on the rest by the 1st of the year - I think that is what I read.

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...