Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Some people still don't even have a DVD player?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pomeroy

pomeroy

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:59 PM

Can you believe some people out there still do not have a DVD player :eek2: and still have that old VCR :lol: Yep its true
Do you know how long it will take for them to get HD TV?? Won't see it in my life time :lol:

If you showed up on there door with lets say a Panasonic DVD Recorder they would think your from the future :D

Talk about being left behind, When HD-DVD and Blu-Ray come out they will be
2 Generations behind technology :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:31 AM

There are still lots of people who don't own a TV.

Not only that... but while many people who know about TVs and DVDs and so forth, just choose not to have them OR can't afford to have them, or are homeless so they don't have anywhere to put them even if they did have them...

There are also people in the world who genuinely have not heard of such devices.

And... sometimes... I envy those people. I like my TV and all... but I think if all the TVs in the world stopped working one day... and no one had a TV to watch... I could get through the day fine without it.

#3 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:14 AM

I know a nice normal family where the father is an officer in the USAF. They live in a nice home and drive nice cars but, by choice, they don't have single TV or radio. They choose not to clutter their minds with a lot of the mindless garbage on TV. The kids come home and study at night and do their chores.

Wow, what a concept!

#4 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

Yup, just take a survey in an old peoples home and find out how many people have even heard of a DVD. Bet its not many. Heck their still running their good old analog TV's from 1975. They can't deal with a new fangled DVD player.

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:37 PM

Can you believe some people out there still do not have a DVD player :eek2: and still have that old VCR :lol: Yep its true
Do you know how long it will take for them to get HD TV?? Won't see it in my life time :lol:

If you showed up on there door with lets say a Panasonic DVD Recorder they would think your from the future :D

Talk about being left behind, When HD-DVD and Blu-Ray come out they will be
2 Generations behind technology :confused:

You're right! I don't have a DVD Player. :)

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#6 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:30 PM

I got a DVD player for free for buying, of all things, a refrigerator.

Otherwise, I would not own one. Why would I? I have DirecTV, with all the channels included (except the p**n, which is not my thing). So why would I want to rent movies? All of the movies are available at the movie theatre 5 blocks away, then on Direct PPV, then on HBO or one of its immitators, and finally on broadcast TV.

#7 OFFLINE   pomeroy

pomeroy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:27 PM

I point was that you would be surpised about how many average familys still don't have a DVD player in there home, not because they are poor or homeless
just because they don't keep up with technology is all :)

I have 4 DVD players, each one has its own special features
Sony for high quality
Samsung for playing PAL disks, the quality playback is Awesome!
Panasonic for playing RAM disks
Philips back up for PAL and everything eles

+ I have 2 Panasonic DVD recorders, I got rid of my VCR long time ago

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,301 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:19 AM

I can't believe how many people still don't have...

...a wifi signal / bluetooth detector
...a wireless video network
...four ways to connect to the internet, with two of them being wireless
...a flat-panel LCD monitor with a built-in tv tuner and a/v inputs
...three satellite dishes on a single pole on the patio

There are a lot of things I have that other people don't, so what? But there is one thing I still have that a lot of people do have is a vcr. How else would I play all those obsolete sex education tapes? :grin:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 07:37 PM

I keep my VCR out for two reasons

1) It serves me with two extra set of inputs and 2) for the clock.

Last time I played a tape in it, I have no idea, it’s been a few years now. I don't even own a VHS tape anymore, once I replaced them with DVDs I threw them all away. All vacation videos that I transferred from Digital8 to SVHS are now on DVD.

So why would I want to rent movies? All of the movies are available at the movie theatre 5 blocks away, then on Direct PPV, then on HBO or one of its immitators, and finally on broadcast TV.

With the price of movie tickets who'd want to go to a theater, I get ~15 movies a month for a few bucks more then the price of one movie ticket and I can watch it in the comfort of my own home with a pause button. PPV and the premiums have limited content in original aspect ratio and Dolby Digital, nothing in DTS and picture quality is not as good. I reserve Broadcast TV for made for TV movies only (ie Stephen King miniseries). I refuse to watch cut up movies.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#10 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:58 PM

The point made about having all the channels is true. Since I've got all the movie channels, I really don't use the DVD player that much anymore. I almost never use the DVD recorder, since I got a few HD DVR's. The VCR has been retired to the closet. I sold all the other VCR's before they become so out of date, so I'm looking good on that end. I mostly watch movies on the HD movie channels, I really never even use PPV.

#11 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:34 PM

My neighbors have DSL... but don't have cable or satellite! They got a DVD player... but it's on the PC. Until last December they were on dial up with AOL so I consider they're finally playing catch up... unfortunately it's a long way to run. They do have a VCR.. actually two but they're both in Combo TV units.. (euck). Sigh.
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

#12 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:48 PM

I just gave my original DVD Player to the fellow who works for me. He had never owned one before that. I suspect that he will make me come over to install it for him one of these days.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#13 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,466 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:33 AM

I work part time in consumer electronics (retail), and the number of DVD players we sell to first time buyers is amazing. Low end players (under $50) outsell the good ones by probably 10 to 1, and we sell loads of rf modulators to folks who don't have TV's with a/v inputs. Folks are now buying DVD recorders in fair numbers -- I suspect that many of them are planning on copying movies. I'm sure they're ticked when they encounter the HDCP flags. :)
I'm somewhat of an equipment junkie myself. I have 3 computers with DVD capability, 2 standalone DVD recorders and 2 DVD players. (I also have an 80 hour TiVo and an HD set top box with DVR). It would be nice to have the time to watch all my accumulated recorded shows (27 hours worth on my TiVo, dating back to last November) and DVD movies (more than I care to count).

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#14 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 06:27 PM

I have never bought a DVD player but all the computers I have bought have DVD players in them, even the one I bought 5 years ago. I dont rent DVD's just have the extra movie channels to watch whatever is on there and have DVR's which is better.

#15 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:26 PM

Since receiving my first dvd player in December of 1998, one of the first on the market in fact, the RCA/Proscan model, I now number in with five, counting the dvd burner in the Mac and ROM drive in the PC. The RCA has since been retired. My Zenith does a great job at upscaling dvd to 1080i though, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon. My parents have my second dvd player I had, a jvc 511 which is still rockin' out. They would have never bought one had I not given them my old one though. Last Christmas, my gift to everyone close in the family was a low end dvd player so I made sure that anyone that didn't have one, got one and anyone who did, now has TWO.

P.S. My dvd collection weighed in at 410 discs as of last week when I purchased a cataloging system for them all.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#16 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:33 PM

Last Christmas, my gift to everyone close in the family was a low end dvd player so I made sure that anyone that didn't have one, got one and anyone who did, now has TWO.

Did you know I am your cousin? :D ;)

#17 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:40 PM

Did you know I am your cousin? :D ;)

You should have seen the poor cashier's face when I came through her checkout with half a pallet of dvd players. :D Actually, it was easier and a little cheaper than shopping all season, trying to discover everyone's wants and needs, I went one place, made one purchase and BAM! Done. I wish all shopping was that easy.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#18 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:29 PM

I suspect that many of them are planning on copying movies. I'm sure they're ticked when they encounter the HDCP flags.

Do people really spend a few hundred bucks on component DVD Recorders in hopes to copy movies?

Sony 16X Internal DVD Burner- $59.99
50 Pack 8X DVD+Rs $24.99
DVD Shrink- FREE
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#19 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:09 AM

Do people really spend a few hundred bucks on component DVD Recorders in hopes to copy movies?

Sony 16X Internal DVD Burner- $59.99
50 Pack 8X DVD+Rs $24.99
DVD Shrink- FREE

I was an early adopter I suppose (and an idiot).

Just two years ago in Spring of '03:

Sony dual format 2.4x/4x DVD drive - $350 (crapped out after 16 months)
DVDXCOPY Gold - $150
50 Pack 2.4X DVD+R's - $125

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:30 PM

Ignoring for the moment the moral/ethical aspect of copying/stealing copyrighted material...

Given the costs of blank media (even at a discount) and the time it takes to copy a movie even when you can and keep the quality of the original... is it really worth it?

Frankly... I buy a lot of movies in the $8-$15 range pretty regularly... and sometimes box-sets of favorite TV shows at $40 or so... and it is hard for me to argue that they aren't worth the price I'm paying.

Like I said... staying away from the legal part of things... it never seemed worth it to me... then when you consider the legal part, that just synches it not being worthwhile.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...