Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Some people still don't even have a DVD player?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 05:28 PM

It's not worth it. I never intended to get into the business of piracy. I wanted to be able to copy movies for MY personal use only like backups. Just the other night I wanted to watch Saving Private Ryan but the DVD was toast. Tried it in 4 different DVD players but no cigar. HAD I made a backup copy and never played the original (except to copy) everything would be cool. Now, if I want the DVD I'll have to spring another $20.

Back in the 70's and 80's I bought truckloads of vinyl LP's. The first thing I did was make a copy onto cassette and rarely ever even touched the original except to make another backup. That's why I wanted a DVD burner and copying software. Hollywood has different ideas though which has been discussed at length elsewhere on this board.

I'm about to shut up but have one more comment. Sometimes friends ask me if I know how to copy a DVD and I just groan. I spent a lot of time teaching myself the ins and outs. Authoring a DVD can be quite difficult. There a lot to know about different formats and such. :rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:08 PM

It's not worth it. I never intended to get into the business of piracy. I wanted to be able to copy movies for MY personal use only like backups. Just the other night I wanted to watch Saving Private Ryan but the DVD was toast. Tried it in 4 different DVD players but no cigar. HAD I made a backup copy and never played the original (except to copy) everything would be cool. Now, if I want the DVD I'll have to spring another $20.

I honestly haven't ever had a DVD I've bought go bad... I have had a few that were bad out-of-the-box, which is one reason why I'm trying to watch a bunch of box sets right now to catch up in case any of the discs are bad... The couple of times I've had a bad one, I just swapped back at the store I bought them to get one that worked.

I know some people don't treat them well, or have kids that don't treat them well... and you can scratch (by the way scratches on the top can be just as bad as scratches on the bottom depending on how your DVD player reads things)... so I know you can damage them if you try and/or don't handle them properly.

I just haven't ever had that happen to me. I've still got original CDs (music obviously) that I bought way back when CDs were just coming out, and they still work flawlessly... so for the moment it seems like the CDs/DVDs are made to last if you get one that works to begin with.

Back in the 70's and 80's I bought truckloads of vinyl LP's. The first thing I did was make a copy onto cassette and rarely ever even touched the original except to make another backup. That's why I wanted a DVD burner and copying software. Hollywood has different ideas though which has been discussed at length elsewhere on this board.

Now, I used to do the same thing here with my albums, but for a different reason... Not so much because I was afraid too much playing would wear out my albums... but because I had a tape player in the car, and wanted to listen to the music there... but I hear you, a bonus side effect of doing that was that my albums did last much longer (still work today if/when I play them)... so I'm with you on the backups.

I just haven't had the same need/problem in regards to DVD movies, needing backups... but in the way you are talking about making copies/using them... I understand where you are coming from, so please don't think I'm preaching to you.

#23 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:42 AM

I know a nice normal family where the father is an officer in the USAF. They live in a nice home and drive nice cars but, by choice, they don't have single TV or radio. They choose not to clutter their minds with a lot of the mindless garbage on TV. The kids come home and study at night and do their chores.

Wow, what a concept!

What a horrible existence! But what do you expect from an air force weenie! - Airborne! :D
I'm back! Needed more than 1 HD feed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...