Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

calm before the storm?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   terfmop

terfmop

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:32 PM

This forum has been very quiet this week. I am supposed to have voOm installed tomorrow, but the installer didn't sound so sure he would be able to make it on the specified time. Time will tell.

For those of you that have voOm, I have a remote control question. I am going to have one receiver as my primary viewing receiver to view my HD shows etc(going to my Component 1 input)... I am also going to have a 2nd receiver going through my Tivo to record shows while I am away (to my TV via S-video). Can the remote address be changed on a VoOm receiver so that I don't inadvertently change channels while recording something on tivo?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,187 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:39 AM

I thought the same. Very quiet, indeed. Voom has started a referral program, offering a free month for each referral, up to a max of 12. Good for VOOM and va va VOOM subs.

http://www.voom.com/lp/refer.html

Good question - unforunately, I don't have the answer, but I'm sure someone will.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:54 AM

Yeah, I just saw that referral thing. I don't think I'll refer any friends until next month -- just to be safe. :)

- John...

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,187 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, I just saw that referral thing. I don't think I'll refer any friends until next month -- just to be safe. :)

- John...

No disrespect, John, but if everyone played it safe, we still be watching the radio and living in the old country.

But what if you referred your friends now instead of later and everyone else did too, and suddenly VOOM caught on and everyone is happy because they have a bunch of new HD channels and VOOM takes off like a freakin' rocket?

It's that overly-cautious 'wait and see' thingy that may doom VOOM. If Chuck Dolan is willing to risk his personal fortune to make VOOM a success, what's the big deal about recommending VOOM now? There are people out there with huge new HD TV sets and they are still watching analog on cable and SD on satellite.

Let's get with the program people - sign up for VOOM, and begin referring family, friends, and neighbors. Remember, VOOM has unique programming that no one else has.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:59 PM

No disrespect, John, but if everyone played it safe, we still be watching the radio and living in the old country.

Well, to be fair, I didn't play it safe -- I signed up earlier this month for myself. However, I don't feel it fair to take risks for my friends that might not know better. I'm not going to recommend a service that might be dead in a week.

But what if you referred your friends now instead of later and everyone else did too, and suddenly VOOM caught on and everyone is happy because they have a bunch of new HD channels and VOOM takes off like a freakin' rocket?

I don't think waiting a week to see how the 31st deadline goes is going to make a huge difference. If the 3 or 4 people that I refer to VOOM are what would have saved it, then oh well... :D

It's that overly-cautious 'wait and see' thingy that may doom VOOM. If Chuck Dolan is willing to risk his personal fortune to make VOOM a success, what's the big deal about recommending VOOM now? There are people out there with huge new HD TV sets and they are still watching analog on cable and SD on satellite.

Holy cow -- I'm just talking about waiting until after the 31st here, Nick. I don't think that unreasonable. I have some friends that would not be happy if I referred them to VOOM, they signed up, and then it was killed next week. Again, I think I'll "play it safe" until the 31st deadline passes -- and I don't think that is being overly cautious really.

Let's get with the program people - sign up for VOOM, and begin referring family, friends, and neighbors. Remember, VOOM has unique programming that no one else has.

If they survive the 31st, I certainly plan to do so.

- John...

#6 OFFLINE   terfmop

terfmop

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:05 PM

Installer arrived late but everything was installed, some minor receiver issues, but were all resolved, picture quality is great.

spam firewall