Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Blackouts- Have they out lived their usefulness?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

I thought this was interesting article. Makes me wonder if blackouts should even exist this days.

http://www.billszone..._usefulness.php

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 March 2005 - 06:31 PM

Hmmm.... the salary structure and the ticket prices were also probably a lot lower in the 60s than they are now.

However, there have also been complaints as to how the stations have handled the out-of-market games and how it has caused complaints with subscribers to NFL Sunday Ticket.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   oblio98

oblio98

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:39 PM

Blackouts are the most annoying thing about "modern" TV. If we pay, we should see.

#4 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 05:33 PM

I like the sweeping history, but I can't follow along some with the conclusions:

In the NFL, gate revenue, although split with the visiting team, is gravy. The television money has always been shared equally

At worst, here "gravy" means "additional profit". A properly run business, such as a good sports team, should maximize profit.

(A blackout) certainly does nothing to improve attendance, as evidenced by the 49ers, and Jaguars. San Francisco has been terrible, yet continues to sell out, while Jacksonville, a relatively new and successful franchise, continues to struggle to sell tickets.

The idea that attendance is not entirely based on team success neither supports nor refutes the notion that some folks would not buy game tickets if they could watch the game on TV.

In a chunk too big to quote, he suggests that the added ticket and concession revenue of extra fans in the stands would be offset by increased TV revenue if the game were telecast. However, as he mentioned earlier, the regular-season TV money gets split evenly, so each local team would get only a tiny slice of any extra broadcast revenues. and equal slices would go to those teams that already pack the stands. Besides, the argument would require reworking the TV contract, somehow bringing in extra money from the networks in exchange for lifting this blackout restriction.

Finally, I'm most sensitive to his question:

Don’t the owners realize that by limiting exposure they’re tuning out the next generation of fans?

Except that (a) fans are already guaranteed to have at least half of their teams' games available, and (B) under the current blackout rules, NFL fandom has grown to the point of making it the most popular sport in America.

Blackouts are no fun, but I don't think viewers have a right to watch every local game on TV for free.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#5 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:13 PM

I agree with a previous poster. If we pay for the subscription then we should have every game available.

spam firewall