Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Phillies UPN57 HDTV? No yet, maybe soon:

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:15 AM

I emailed UPN57 over the weekend regarding Phillies games in HDTV:

To: upn57@wpsg.com
Does UPN 57 carry Phillies home games in HDTV as Sportsnet does? If
so, is it every home game (on 57) or a subset?

Thanks,

Ryan

Philadelphia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPN57 <UPN57@wpsg.com> Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 8:54AM
To: Ryan
At this point we are not carrying Phillies games in HD - but we are working on the situation and hope to introduce them some time this season.

thanks,
UPN57 Programming

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   theebdk

theebdk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:21 PM

The big issue is when will Comcast Philadelphia broadcast on Directv. Lots of Comcast customers that are Phillies fans are just waiting for that to happen.

#3 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:09 AM

Don't hold your breath.

Comcast is not legally compelled to provide CSN-Philly to satellite providers. So they don't. And won't. Unless the loophole is closed. And that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

#4 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:03 PM

So why isn't Comcast Philly available when Chicago & Sacramento CSNs are on satellite?

-A-

#5 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:10 PM

So why isn't Comcast Philly available when Chicago & Sacramento CSNs are on satellite?

-A-

Because before Comcast Philly was comcast philly, it was called PRISM (could be wrong on the name here, its been a while) and it was transmitted via microwaves.

When Comcast bought PRISM they convieniently never switched to transmitting via Satellite, which means that they don't have to offer it to other providers. The loophole in the law states that if a signal is transmitted via land based (microwave, fibre) means it doesn't need to be made available to everyone.

As to why the other Comcasts are available on satellite, it's because they either were already being transmitted via Satellite when Comcast bought that particular station, or it is new Station in which case this loophole doesn't apply. They are kind of grandfathered in with Comcast Philly.

The main reason why they're so anti-satellite when it comes to Comcast Philly is because as you may or may not know, Comcast is based in Philly, and if all of a sudden Comcast Philly was available via Satellite, they would quickly loose their stranglehold on the local market. I've heard that Philadelphia has a very very low satellite penetration rate mainly because of local sports. They also own the majority of the Flyers and Sixers, so they have complete control over the transmission of the games.

It's kind of a complicated issue.

#6 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 12:54 PM

Don't Forget about Comcast Sportsnet in D.C. that carries the Orioles on Direc Tv channel 629. That Comcast channel used to be HTS Home Team Sports before Comcast bought them and O's games are on that channel. Philadelphia is just being a total bitch when it comes to them not allowing direc tv to carry the CSN Philly channel. I'm glad I'm not a phillies fan or a 76ers fan when it comes to sports. I would hate not being able to see games on Satellite.

#7 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:01 PM

The Phillies own a portion of Comcast Sports Net. I was a fan, but I wanted a satellite system. I purchased a DTV system and subscribed to the EI package. It didn't take long for me to forget about the Phils. I enjoy watching other teams now. The Phils and Comcast made the decision as far as I am concerned. I will not even go to a Phillies game now. I have been to Baltimore and NY to watch games the past few years. I know not everyone is able to switch loyalties like that, but I am happy with DTV and EI. I like the NBA also, and the Sixers are not blacked out on the NBA LP. I see all their games.

#8 OFFLINE   theebdk

theebdk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:58 PM

Unfortunately the Philles product is weak and the Flyers are non existant. As far as satellite penetration I keep seeing more and more dishes.

#9 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:11 PM

Thanks. I just emailed UPN57 as well and asked them when will we have HDTV Phillies broadcasts. I live in Princeton, NJ and we do not
have Comcast. The only Phillies games that I can watch are on UPN57. We have Patmedia
which is terrible, and provides only New York local sports channels even though we are
in the Phillies territory. I have asked our local Cable TV commission to replace Patmedia
with Comcast.

#10 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

UPN replied and said that they hope to have
high definition Phillies broadcasts in June.

#11 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:41 AM

On Saturday, June 4th, UPN57 broadcast the Phillies/Diamondbacks doubleheader in
high definition. I watched it off my OTA antenna connected to my Dish 921 tuner. Picture
quality was fantastic!! Unbelievable!! This feed is not available on satellite or cable in Princeton, NJ. It was so good that I am now going to turn my antenna around with the rotor
and scan in New York channels 9 and 11, so that I can watch the Mets and and Yankees
in high definition as well.

#12 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:50 AM

It looks like Comcast was the critical party here (not that they were holding it up):

http://biz.yahoo.com...hf027.html?.v=8

This note says UPN57 in HD is now availble through Comcast cable, and the remaining Phillies games will be in HD.

It doesn't really discuss OTA reception, but last nights (Fri 6/24) games vs BOSOX was in HD OTA, and looked friggin GREAT! (And that's just on a 20" SD TV downrezed to 480i by my HD TiVo! I gotta get that projector hooked up again!)

Does FOX do thier MLB games in HD? I guess we'll find out today.

#13 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:19 AM

Yes, FOX does MLB in HD. Maybe not every game. I watched the Yankees- Mets on FOX 29
in OTA HD. Was the Phillies - Red Sox on Saturday in HD? I was out all day at a Field
Hockey Tournament in Delaware with my daughters and followed the game on my cell
phone mobile web.

Where I live, we do not have Comcast. We have Patriot Media. Adjoining towns to ours have
Comcast. Patriot Media will not pick up Comcast. Patriot Media uses YES, MSG and Fox Sports NY as the regional sports networks. Patriot Media has told me that Comcast
requires that 90 percent of a cable company's customers pick up Comcast Sportsnet
for them to allow Sportsnet to be broadcast. Comcast also charges $2 plus per customer.
So Patriot Media would have to pass this cost on to every one of its cable customers,
and include Sportsnet in expanded basic, which has a 90 percent of customer base
penetration. Comcast Sportsnet is not available as a stand alone add on channel for
a cable customer. At my barber shop which is in walking distance from my house,
they have Comcast. The barber shop is in an adjoining town. The barber shop is on
the main street. One side of the main street is in one town and a different county.
The other side of the main street is in a different town and a different county.
So one side of the Main street with Comcast as provider has four regional sports networks,
Yes, MSG, Fox NY and Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia. The other side of the Main street,
with Patriot Media as provider has three regional sports networks, Yes, MSG and Fox NY.
Kind of crazy. This is what we got with the New Jersey Statute that allowed each
separate municipality to give out exclusive cable TV contracts. The separate exclusive
municipal contracts violates the equal protection clause of the New Jersey and Federal
Constitutions with regard to programming. All programming should be available to
all residents of New Jersey who want to pay for it.

I watch the Phillies on OTA HD whenever it is available. Can't get Comcast because I live
in the wrong town.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...