Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

942 and MPEG-4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Orcatek

Orcatek

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:22 PM

After reading the info on the 942, it looks like adding MPEG-4 will be pretty easy.

The USB port will have enough bandwidth to support and external box to provide the conversion. Seems like it should be fairly simple to do for any box that has the USB port. This would allow them to use one external device for several of their current receivers.
Orcatek

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LASooner

LASooner

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:30 PM

In other headlines, Middle East Crisis "a snap to fix" :sure:

#3 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:41 PM

As stated OVER and OVER again, and Mark can attest:

THE 942 RECEIVER IS NOT MPEG4 COMPATIBLE OR UPGRADABLE!

Yes, you've heard it here, maybe not first.

Thank You
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#4 OFFLINE   Orcatek

Orcatek

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:31 AM

Yeah I heard that - but doesn't make any sense.

It would be a business decision and not a technology decision to prevent mpeg-4 on the 942.
Orcatek

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:45 AM

Yeah I heard that - but doesn't make any sense.

It would be a business decision and not a technology decision to prevent mpeg-4 on the 942.

That's your opinion.
E* engineering (who apparently have more information) differ.

JL

#6 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:30 PM

Let not forget. EVERYTHING is upgradable. You just have to plan for it.

All Dish has to do is have everyone send in there 942s, they take the MotherBoard out and then put in the new MPEG4 one, then over night air it back to the customer.

That is if that plan to do that. They would need to plan for this soon so there new Mpeg4 Main board design fits in the 942 box. The IDE, Power, and button cords would also need to fit the same.

I wonder if there smart enough to think of this?

#7 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:39 PM

Maybe one of the Tivo upgrade websites could do the mpeg4 upgrades for a price. You can send in your tivos now to get larger hard drives , so why not send them in for mpeg4 motherboard upgrades. It is only a matter of time before someone does it for a price of course. The only problem I see is if Dish objects to it and sues to stop it.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:23 PM

Maybe the USB ports are not 2.0... but are 1.0... and not bi-directional (for instance, my computer USB port I can use to print to my printer... but the software diagnostics cannot retrieve usage statistics from my printer because of the lack of support for this feature in my computer USB port).

Also... I've known computer companies to not fully support their USB ports for various reasons... they put a USB port on the board to support a specific feature they need, but don't test it for any other purpose... OR they have a port on board because it comes standard that way but they don't actually support it in the BIOS.

Short story... not all USB ports are created equal!

And even with that... Dish themselves have been pretty adamant that no current or planned (like 942 that hadn't been released at the time they were talking about it) box would support an upgrade to MPEG4.

Probably Dish has done the math and realized that trying to create a box now that supports features they may or may not convert to in the next couple of years... is less cost-effective than just putting out boxes for other new features now... and either freebie upgrading everyone OR charging a small upgrade price later.

Kinda works like this when I buy parts for my computer... A good generic example is... Today I could buy a new motherboard and fastest CPU... but I pay through the nose for it... vs buying a slower CPU that is dirt cheap and motherboard now... then a year from now buying a new motherboard and faster CPU when the price has come down... I've done this dozens of times and all-said-and-done the sum cost of both systems was less than if I'd tried to go all-out with the first purchase!

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:11 PM

I certainly wouldn't want an integral part of the video processing such as a MPEG4 conversion module dangling off of the back of the unit via USB.

JL

#10 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:26 PM

All in all it's a moot point. We really won't know and can only guess until someone at E* releases a press release about what is actually going to happen and when......till then, get over it and buy it if you feel it's worth it.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:22 PM

It has been discussed on the Charlie Chats as well. The MPEG4 compatable receivers will be released later. The 942 is not and will not be MPEG4.

JL

#12 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:24 PM

It has been discussed on the Charlie Chats as well. The MPEG4 compatable receivers will be released later. The 942 is not and will not be MPEG4.JL

And that is the way I understand it. A temporary stop gap measure until they figure out how/when to deploy an MPEG-4 box.
I'm back! Needed more than 1 HD feed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...