Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Nagra2?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alebowgm

alebowgm

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:09 AM

OK, we were having this discussion over in the General Dish Form, but what about over hear in Sky Angel as well... with Dish swapping over to Sky Angel, will this mean that Sky Angel is going to swap as well? I am just wondering what effect the swap may have on Sky Angel, if any... Because I dont think Sky Angel would really want to swap its customers over to N2, as those who watch Sky Angel probably aren't pirating the signal...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

... Because I dont think Sky Angel would really want to swap its customers over to N2, as those who watch Sky Angel probably aren't pirating the signal...

good point but because Dish handles all authorizations and many SA subs like mself also have E* programming I think they will all have to be changed out eventually. Whenever they turn off N1 or whatever it is called I think that will be a problem for SA because as I said E* does all the authorizing at least right now.

#3 OFFLINE   mattb

mattb

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:55 AM

If E* changes the skyangel signal to Nag2 it will probally be one of the last things they do, ofcourse for those that have E* programming also, they will already be prepared for it.

#4 OFFLINE   JeffH

JeffH

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:14 AM

I know of two Sky Angel only subscribers that have received the new yellow smart cards. One owns the model 3000 IRD the other a model 2800.

In the summer of 2003 I updated my model 3000 with a model 508 DVR which already has a yellow card. If I decide to reactivate or sell my old 3000 I wonder if Dishnetwork will supply a yellow card free of charge?

Jeff

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:09 PM

I wonder what they will do when Dish goes MPEG-4? It could be bad in that the customers would probably be expected to pay if they only have SkyAngel programming. It could be good in that Dish Network could leave their signals in MPEG-2 and give Sky Angel all those MPEG-2 receivers for little or nothing or at least have all these receivers able to receive their service which could lead to many more Sky Angel subscribers.

#6 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:42 PM

I wonder what they will do when Dish goes MPEG-4? It could be bad in that the customers would probably be expected to pay if they only have SkyAngel programming. It could be good in that Dish Network could leave their signals in MPEG-2 and give Sky Angel all those MPEG-2 receivers for little or nothing or at least have all these receivers able to receive their service which could lead to many more Sky Angel subscribers.

Well with SA getting ready to offer a resale of family friendly E* programming That won't happen because the other channels will be MPEG4. On the other hand my guess is this will be a long time with probably 20 or 30 million receivers to replace at probably $100+ each that is 3 billion dollars. Maybe by then SA will be more stand alone and maybe could "reuse" E* stuff but I doubt it. If SA doesn't get it's subscriber base up a bunch I don't think they will make it long term.

#7 OFFLINE   alebowgm

alebowgm

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:12 AM

If SA doesn't get it's subscriber base up a bunch I don't think they will make it long term.

How long have people been saying that?

#8 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:20 AM

How long have people been saying that?

People? as I said "I don't think". It is based on logic that a base of 100 to 200 thousand or so customers is not large enough to sustain a satellite service which has huge front end costs. The only way SA got up and running was with an assist from E*. I don't think that can continue indefinitely and without a much larger subscriber base SA can't go totally on their own and make it in MY opinion. I pray I am wrong and I pray SA gets a much larger subscriber base not only for econmic viability but for the sake of the ministries that are advanced through SA.

#9 OFFLINE   jegrant

jegrant

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:06 PM

Actually I would hope that SA* doesn't take too long to hop on the MPEG4 bandwagon, as I would like them to be able to add more channels, and I think that will be the only way they'll be able to for the time being, is through better compression.

#10 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:04 AM

Actually I would hope that SA* doesn't take too long to hop on the MPEG4 bandwagon, as I would like them to be able to add more channels, and I think that will be the only way they'll be able to for the time being, is through better compression.

Good point but actually SA owns several more transponders so they could have had more bandwidth now they just decided to lease them to E* rather than use that bandwidth themselves.

#11 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:59 PM

By getting an additional package they could make their service more worthwhile and Dish Network could count more people as subscribers to their service helping them out.

#12 OFFLINE   mattb

mattb

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:22 PM

speaking of Nag2, I got a yellow card today from E* I have a 4900 (Receiver)

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,090 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:10 PM

If SA doesn't get it's subscriber base up a bunch I don't think they will make it long term.

In the filings E* made to support their purchase of Rainbow1 (the Voom satellite at 61.5) SkyAngel is noted as having one million subscribers.

One million subscribers is about 1% of US TV homes and 4% of the US DBS marketplace. Not a bad subscriber base. Their costs are low and at $12 per month revenue on a million customers isn't bad (even if some of them lifetime or annual subscribers).

They DO need to build their own uplink and eventually launch their own satellite. That will get around whatever E* is doing with their system, but I believe it is in SkyAngel's best interest to remain compatable if not integrated with E*.

BTW: After a week/month of finding 'nothing on' E*'s AT120 I finally decided to join the Dominion. :) Mostly for their music video channels.

JL

#14 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

In the filings E* made to support their purchase of Rainbow1 (the Voom satellite at 61.5) SkyAngel is noted as having one million subscribers.

JL

Wow that is way more than I heard or imagined. I fervently hope that is true but I really doubt that number but again I hope it is true

#15 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:14 AM

I wonder if they're using Charlie's fuzzy math from a few years ago... 2.5 people per houshold x 400,000 households = 1,000,000 subscribers...
If you can read this, you are too close.

#16 OFFLINE   mattb

mattb

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:30 PM

BTW: After a week/month of finding 'nothing on' E*'s AT120 I finally decided to join the Dominion. :) Mostly for their music video channels.

JL

Spirit and TVU Music Television rock! They are my two fav channels on Skyangel (in fact the only reason I hooked up my lifetime sub from a few years ago again) just so I could watch them.

#17 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:45 PM

That 2.5 people per houshold was used to advertise 20 million viewers a few years back.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,090 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:34 PM

Fortunately the number I referred to is a SUBSCRIBER, not viewer, count provided in a third party filing. It seems strange that SkyAngel isn't shouting about their million - perhaps they are close or perhaps they don't want people to think about exactly where the up to 144m in annual revenues is going. (I'm paying for what I get, and that's all I care about the finances at this point.)

A million ... even if it is only 900k ... isn't bad.

JL

#19 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:27 PM

perhaps they don't want people to think about exactly where the up to 144m in annual revenues is going. (I'm paying for what I get, and that's all I care about the finances at this point.)

A million ... even if it is only 900k ... isn't bad.

JL

900K would be good too but remember they are not getting $150 a year from each sub. Many like myself, many friends and my son, all have lifetime subs. The total cost seven or so years ago for myself and my son was like $295 which I am sure is long gone and so we pay nothing now but like many others with lifetime subs are in the sub count.

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,090 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:01 PM

900K would be good too but remember they are not getting $150 a year from each sub. Many like myself, many friends and my son, all have lifetime subs. The total cost seven or so years ago for myself and my son was like $295 which I am sure is long gone and so we pay nothing now but like many others with lifetime subs are in the sub count.

That would be a source of inflation in the numbers ... subs that would never cancel because they paid for life. But since it was always "a lot more" than an annual or monthly subscription I expect there were not many takers. Even if 10% of the million subscribers took that option it still leaves 900k paying $10-$12 per month (based on annual or monthly subscription).

But it isn't about the Benjamins anyways.

Perhaps tomorrow E* will turn on my subscription. The charge hit my bank account today ... seems only fitting that I get to watch. This is one of those quiet nights where I'd like to put on Worship TV or one of the music video channels.

JL

Protected By... spam firewall...And...