Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sky Signal In The Us - Question?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Baldur

Baldur

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:08 AM

My brother lives in Mexico and is a current subscriber to SKY MEXICO. He wants to get a subscription for me, but he wants to know if I will be able to get the signal from SKY MEXICO, located in PanamSAT-9. I live in Maryland.
Thank you for your inputs.
Baldur

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RJS1111111

RJS1111111

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:03 PM

According to http://www.lyngsat.com, Sky Mexico is on Ku transponders 13 thru 24 from PAS-9 at 58 deg. west longitude. It is beamed tightly westward to cover Mexico, Central America, and the Carribean, with some signal spilling into Florida and southern parts of Texas, Arizona, and California.

It does not appear that you can get any of this signal from your location; not even with a very Big Ugly Dish.

See http://www.panamsat....ork/pas9_ku.asp for the coverage maps for the PAS-9 Mexico beams.

"justalurker" will tell you that it's "illegal" anyway, because of his interpretation of an FCC rule for licensees. Besides, you might have to lie to Sky Mexico about your actual service address.

#3 OFFLINE   Baldur

Baldur

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:45 PM

Thank you again! I hope someone is doing the same around the area besides that guy at NJ so I can get his/her opinion. About if it is illegal or not, I will have to do a little reseach.

#4 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:49 PM

It is technically illegal. Just like it's technically illegal for me to watch my PURCHASED DVDs on my Linux box. Anyway.........
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...