Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Commercials at the movie theater

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 05:38 AM

I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I am getting sick and tired of seeing commercials before the feature movie. It's bad enough theaters charge $7.50 (in my area) to see a movie, but why do they need to show commercials? I can see them at home (for $39.95 a month mind you, but don't get me started on that)! You would think that theaters would give a price break to customers since they must be getting a slice of the revenue for showing the commercials. When I go to a theater, I'm paying to see a movie NOT commercials! By the way, I rarely pay $7.50 for a movie. I usually see the early bird showing for $5.00.
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 05:43 AM

I agree. I don't know why they insist on showing commercials in movie theaters. Some of them are really stupid too.

#3 OFFLINE   jrjcd

jrjcd

Arcane Movie Trivia King

• Gold Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 07:03 AM

get rid of the commercials, but DON'T get rid of the best reason to go the the movies...THE TRAILERS!!!!lol
jrjcd(jack)-

"I've got a FEVER...and the ONLY prescription for it is MORE COWBELL!!!!"
Lengendary record producer Bruce Dickinson

#4 OFFLINE   toomuchtv

toomuchtv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 08:58 AM

Self promotion (trailers) is to be expected. However, commercials have no place in the movie theater. The price of the ticket plus the ridiculous concession prices are sufficient to guarantee a hefty profit for the major theater chains. We are bombarded with enough advertising on television.

#5 OFFLINE   John Walsh

John Walsh

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 09:25 AM

My family runs perpetually late so it sort of works out for me. It also makes it easier when I decide to make a day out of going to the movie theater (finish one movie, move on to whatever else is showing and I don't feel a damn bit guilty about it w/ the prices they charge)
John Walsh
E*/508/2X 522/921 (on my 4th 921)
XM Delphi Sky Fi
My DVD Collection
Boot Version: 120B
Flash Version: F051
SW Version: L215

#6 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 02:23 PM

It's bad enough theaters charge $7.50 (in my area) to see a movie

You don't have it that bad. The Loews Theaters around here charges $9.50! They basically can charge whatever they want, since they have a monopoly in my county. The only other movie theater around here has 3 screens and it sucks!

#7 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 02:44 PM

Be thankful that it's not the UK. There, the commercials last as long as the trailers and are evenly split (e.g. 6 commercials, 6 trailers before each movie).
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

#8 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 03:39 PM

cnsf, it's basically the same here, though not as mixed together. When they say they start the movie, they start showing slides of commercials. That lasts what seems like 10 mins or so. Then the trailers. Then the movie. But I don't mind. If they didn't show them, the movie would cost even more and I couldn't afford to go as often.

#9 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 03:42 PM

I just saw MIB II last night. Its an 88 minute movie, but they stuck 22 minutes of "previews/adds" in front of it. Yea I know the Matrix is comming out, but 2003. Why preview it now?

#10 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 06:18 PM

22 Minutes! Yikes...

Oh a lighter note: See them jiggle! Watch them wiggle.... :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...