Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA antenna help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   terfmop

terfmop

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:59 AM

I had time to waste this weekend so I decided to try something. I was wondering how strong the signal would be from a station approx. 75-80 miles away. I took my indoor amplified antenna hopped up on my roof and connected that antenna to my voOm receiver. Strangely enough, the signal strength meter on the voOm receiver measured around 60-65(once had it at 68). I though to myself (maybe wrongly) that if my little indoor antenna was able to get that signal strenght, then a bigger, amplified, outdoor antenna may really do much better. If it would work, then I could look forward to ABC in HD.

So, I went to my local Menards, bought a 51 element outdoor antenna, and a pre-amp. Got everything put together, got up on the roof.....and only got a signal strength as high as 55.

Why was my indoor antenna getting a higher signal strength?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:56 AM

Those indicators are usually not "signal strength", but "signal quality" or a combination of both. The bigger antenna, plus an amp, probably caused the noise floor of the signal to increase (probably distortion byproducts), causing the "quality" of the demodulated signal to go down. Skip the preamp, and see how it looks.

#3 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:58 AM

Antennas are a tricky thing... It could be too much gain, not enough gain, or something else altogether. One thing is for sure though, There are antennas that can work for you, but the thing is, one antenna may work for that tower 80 miles away and not work for another tower that is relatively closer. For you to get all of your OTAs you may need more than one antenna.
KL

#4 OFFLINE   terfmop

terfmop

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:26 AM

Antennas are a tricky thing... It could be too much gain, not enough gain, or something else altogether. One thing is for sure though, There are antennas that can work for you, but the thing is, one antenna may work for that tower 80 miles away and not work for another tower that is relatively closer. For you to get all of your OTAs you may need more than one antenna.

The antenna supplied with the basic installation (Winguard Sensar) works great with NBC, CBS, and FOX, but they are located in the same town I live. It's just that one ABC station that is being elusive. On the setup, when I am setting up the antennas; how do I 'put' them together? The setup now, is my OTA going into the switch at the dish. How would I combine two separate antennas? would I put the amplifier on the new antenna before it gets to the satellite switch?

#5 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:06 PM

Three suggestions: check in with your local high quality A/V retailer and see if they have any suggestions; check in with a good local antenna installer and see if he/she has any suggestions; head for the AVSForum, find a thread for your locale and see if someone there has any suggestions. Bonus!!! Head for the AVSForum, Seattle thread and send a PM to Dan Kurts (AKA the Antenna Man). He is one smart dude who may be able to give you helpful suggestions. I love in a forest and get rock solid OTA reception thanks to his efforts.

And just remember, when it comes to OTA HDTV, the journey to get there is half the fun!!
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#6 OFFLINE   snella1

snella1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:23 PM

I know a lot of people install an outdoor ant. backwards. The small end is the Front end. Point the small end toward the station. The ant. could still pick up a weak signal from the back side.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...