Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDTV Upconversion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbyers

rbyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:16 PM

does anyone have experience with the ADS hdtv upconverter. I've got a LCD HDTV in my bedroom, which is being driven off of a 501 and an OTA tuner. In the HD mode, the picture is outstanding, but when viewing off of the 501, the picture sucks. The downstairs set is not LCD and I'm viewing it through a 921 using the HD only output, so the SD is being upconverted to 1080i. I've used the 921 to drive the LCD display, and it looks better than when it is driven directly off of the 501.

I've seen ads for the ADS upconverter, which will convert 400x signals to 720p and/or 1080i. I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge of how well this particular box works.

TIA
2 Hoppers 1/Sling No Joeys 2/16/13
Seagate 500, 1TB EHDs
TV: Samsung LCD 50" SmartTV HDMI 1.4
TV: Panasonic LCD 37" HDMI 1.4

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:41 PM

Remember the 501 only has s-video output so the pictire quality is going to be worse than the HD tuner's (I have a 501 and 811 - no comparison in picture QA). I have not experimented with any type of up converter.
I'm back! Needed more than 1 HD feed.

#3 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:39 PM

I have used the DvDo iScan HD and Zinwell Centerstage external scalers. I have posts results in several threads. A couple right here in the HDTV category.

#4 OFFLINE   Cpt Matt

Cpt Matt

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 03:03 PM

What your looking for is a scaler, LCD monitors have a fixed resolution i.e. 1024 x768, 1366x768. Without an external scaler they fill these pixels themselves, typically not so well. Cost will determine which scaler will look best. Farajuda makes great ones but expensive, check out extron, or Focus Enhancements for a >2K solution.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...