Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

RCA TV incompatible with Dish Network

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   beckyc

beckyc

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

I just had a 522 receiver installed yesterday (replaced an old 501). Everything is great except I have REALLY bad picture quality/resolution on TV2, which is an RCA 15L500TD.

The installer was very helpful and tried everything; when he called they said it had something to do with the tv thinking the dbs signal was illegal so it was preventing it from showing.

He tried using coax and rca connections, and also tested using the 501 receiver to rule that out. We tested the tv using a cable connection in my son's room and it worked fine. Also brought an older tv to the TV2 connection and it worked fine. Seems to be just this particular tv.

Anyone ever heard of this? Is there anything else I can do/try?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Pablo_New

Pablo_New

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

There are several channels you can choose for the output for TV2. You can change this to see if there is a difference (in setup menus). However, you said that the installer tried to use RCA connections and you got the same result. Given that, it sounds to me like the second tuner may be bad. You could put it in single mode and use the picture in picture mode to see if the PIP square appears to be good or looks like the result you get on the second tv. Or, put the coax output from TV2 to where your TV1 is and see if the same thing happens.

Regarding the TV thinking that the DBS signal was illegal, that's just a bunch of nonsense. Again, since the RCA cable input did the same thing, that just tells the TV to basically act as a monitor and pass through the audio and video feeds it receives. There's nothing built in to filter out an illegal signal.
When using the RCA cable, you have to have the TV set to an alternate input mode, there may be a button on your remote.

You should not have to send back the 522, have the DISH installer replace it.

#3 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:59 PM

You brought an older TV to the 522 TV2 connection and it worked? Was it hooked through the same cable as the original TV?

I assume the RF out of the 522 is sending standard UHF. You might have to select the "Tuner Mode" on the 2nd TV (something like ANT vs Cable). "Cable" TV uses a different set of frequencies (sometimes 2 - IRC/HRC).
Bye Bye 921
Now playing with 2x 622s.

#4 OFFLINE   kwajr

kwajr

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:17 PM

I am not sure why but i had an rca and my neighbor has an rca same model i only had cable on it but anyway when wwe hooked up video game systems using either rcas or rf modulaters the signal would go in and out no explaination as to why make no sense but perhapes its related

#5 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:40 PM

You should have kept your 501! :)
Do you DVR?

#6 OFFLINE   mcglauch

mcglauch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:53 PM

I have seen this quite a bit with RCA tv's using the tv2 output. If you have a vcr at this location set it to the channel that is being sent to tv2 making sure you have antenna/cable mode selected properly. Then set the tv to 3/4 leaving the vcr turned on when in use.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...