Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Arizona Piracy Ringleader Sent to Prison

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2002 - 06:40 AM

The alleged leader of an Arizona satellite TV piracy ring was recently sent to prison for his involvement in the case.

Joseph Curtis, 41, Tempe, Ariz., the alleged ringleader of the piracy operation, pled guilty to attempted computer tampering in connection with an investigation conducted last year. He was recently sentenced to one-and-a-half years in state prison for his involvement.

Curtis was charged in a case that eventually involved more than 18 defendants in Arizona who were accused of illegally modifying and selling DirecTV access cards, a company spokesperson said.

Earlier this year, other defendants in the same case pled guilty to felonies and were sentenced to five years probation, the spokesperson said. Co-defendant Karl Tate pled guilty to attempted fraudulent schemes, and Robert Friou pled guilty to attempted computer fraud. Others involved were Todd MacKenzie, who pled guilty to felicitation of illegally conducting an enterprise; and Desiree Nicosia and Albert Blushke, who also pled guilty to felicitation charges.

This is final disposition of cases that grew out of an investigation conducted by the Arizona Attorney General and the Maricopa County Sheriff's office, with assistance from the DirecTV Office of Signal Integrity.

From <a href="http://www.skyreport.com" target=none>SkyReport</A> (Used with permission)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2002 - 07:04 AM

Computer Tamerping?

Is a Smart Card considered a computer? I always thought of it more as a memory chip.

Scott

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2002 - 07:27 AM

Piracy just isn't worth the jail time.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2002 - 08:45 AM

I agree with you on that. I know a couple of people who hack both Dish and DirecTV.

Although everyone I know who hacks the services subscribes to both services, they only hack to get the local channels which can't be sold to them. (I bet they will HATE spot beams!)

All the time programming and reprogramming their cards is not worth it. But some folks enjoy the challange.

spam firewall