Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Home Protection Plan worth the money?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   salawrence

salawrence

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:48 PM

I just registered here, but I've been lurking anonymously for a while to learn more before I made the decision to switch from cable. I'm thankful for this and other forums that provide lots of good information to satellite newbs like me. :D

Anyway, I'm getting Dish installed next week in a new house that we're buying, and initially I didn't think I wanted the Home Protection Plan since I'll be leasing both receivers, a 942 and a 522. However, I'm starting to have second thoughts, despite my typical misgivings about extended warranties, service plans, and such.

So, to get right to the point, is the HPP worth the money each month? I had assumed that since I was going to be just leasing equipment, that Dish would fix any problems since it's technically still their property. I've read a couple posts that hint that this isn't true, so I thought I'd just ask the question directly.

Thanks in advance for any advice and opinions!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:55 PM

If you have DVRs then the HPP is absolutely worth the money.

#3 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:02 PM

According your DHA contract anything outside (LNBFs and switch and such) you get 90 days parts and labor (on receivers you get 1 yr), you cover shipping after 90 days. The DHPP is limited though here's what it doesn't cover...
http://www.dishnetwo...rms/index.shtml
KL

#4 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:57 PM

Unlike cable, it basically breaks down like this.

First year....

Receiver quits, dies, goes EXTREMELY buggy... call DISH, you ship back at your cost and get refurb box back. If you really gripe, they'll send you one first and then ship yours back at cost.

LNB dies, switch goes kaput, or wiring goes bad after 90 days... service call required, depending on local retailer or DISH, cost may vary.

Within 90 days, your LNBs, wiring, and switches are covered.

With DHPP, you get $29.95 service calls on any problem and they cover the equipment as long as you pay the premium. Now, again it depends on if you are dealing with a retailer or DISH on if there is a major replacement to be done... in my experience, DISH will cover the equipment replacement under DHPP, a retailer will rely on DISH to reimburse them.

Now, IF you signed a 12 month commitment with DHA, its included for the first 12 months, if you signed a 24 month, its included for the full 24 months.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#5 OFFLINE   salawrence

salawrence

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:26 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm still rolling it around in my head, and what's been said here in this thread is clearer to me than anything I could find on the Dish website. I haven't signed any commitment yet, though I imagine that'll happen when they come to install things. I know it'll be a 1 year deal though, so I guess what you're telling me is that the DHPP will be included in that regardless of whether I ask for it or not?

#6 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:15 AM

If you have DVR's or several receivers then its worth the money. One replacement has the warranty pay for itself. The thing is this hardware should not fail this quickly and to get a DVR fixed out of warranty is $70 which is equal to a year's coverage of warranty service. Does Dish Network renew your warranty after you get the receiver repaired?

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:35 AM

If you are doing DHA lease just sign up for the 1 Yr. contract and the first year of DHPP is free. You can also sign a 2 year contract and get 2 years of DHPP free, I just don't like the commitment to a corporation that has such buggy equipment.

#8 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:46 PM

Bingo!
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

Protected By... spam firewall...And...