Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

So what's next??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   terfmop

terfmop

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:36 PM

March 31 came and went with virtually nothing resolved. Does anyone know if there are any Cablevision board meetings scheduled? I just want to know if I should plan to ride my 6 month voom contract out and cancel Dish or hold on to Dish another week or so.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:33 PM

That's a tough call...

Here's a thought, E* will only let you get free equipment as a new sub...If VoOm folds shop and E* has the majority of their assets there would probably be some sort of plan to have the VoOm, at that point previous, customers continue to receive service through E*. Of course the would need E* equipment. What would happen to the previous E* customers, you think E* would let them get new equipment again?
KL

#3 OFFLINE   lazaruspup

lazaruspup

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:46 PM

I'll say this and let me eat some major crow should they prove me wrong, but Echostar WILL NOT have anything to do with the Voom programming. All Charlie wants is that bird. He could care less about their subscribers, let alone the programming. I think that Cablevision will let this go another week or so and we will see some news. I think Charles Dolan is stalling for financing and Cablevision is too wrapped up in their Adelphia bid to care at the moment.
"The grass is always greener on the lawn that is watered twice daily..."

#4 OFFLINE   Tomos

Tomos

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:49 PM

March 31 came and went with virtually nothing resolved. Does anyone know if there are any Cablevision board meetings scheduled? I just want to know if I should plan to ride my 6 month voom contract out and cancel Dish or hold on to Dish another week or so.

I would wait the week out.

Unless you have someone else living with you that could qualify you as a new Dish install should you come back and get good deals doing it. ;)
Tom
________

Boot : 150
Flash : Fo 54
SW : L219 HEED-N

#5 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:07 PM

I would wait the week out.

Unless you have someone else living with you that could qualify you as a new Dish install should you come back and get good deals doing it. ;)

I cannot confirm bur reportedly the board, including Dolan Sr., have agreed to closedown Voom.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#6 OFFLINE   LOBO2999

LOBO2999

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

Newsday

BY HARRY BERKOWITZ
STAFF WRITER

April 7, 2005, 10:08 PM EDT

The Cablevision board of directors agreed Thursday night to end chairman Charles Dolan's titanic struggle to rescue the Voom nationwide satellite TV service, a source close to the company said.

The 15-member board, including Dolan, voted unanimously to adopt a timetable to shut the service, whose uncertain fate had torn the board and Dolan's family, including his chief executive son James, who opposed Voom against his father's wishes...

More

#7 OFFLINE   terfmop

terfmop

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:31 PM

Well now I have an OTA antenna that picks up my locals well...if I switch to D* from E* I'll qualify for an ABC-HD dns

#8 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:32 AM

The timetable, according to CNBC this morning, is to shut down on April 30. :(
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#9 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:13 AM

Article says even Charles agreed to the shutdown.

There were rumors that he met with Charlie again this week. Anything come from that?

I wonder if they might have come up with something with respect to selling programming, which might be why he agreed to the shutdown.
Bye Bye 921
Now playing with 2x 622s.

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

~~~ In Loving Memory of ~~~ Lisa Sullivan

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,085 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:44 AM

"So what's next??"

Nothing. :(

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   ypsiguy

ypsiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

I'm sure E* and D* will be offering free HD receivers to Voom folks to get them to sign up. I suspect Rainbow 1 will be used for Eastern US locals and a few new HD channels. I'm glad I had that free E* dish put up for 61.5. :)

#12 OFFLINE   stonecold

stonecold

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 583 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:12 PM

ypsiguy,

E* has had a been generous before. Echostar gave out free reciver promotions when Primestar had closed up shop even though being bought by Direct TV, Dish was able to steal a good number of primestar subs from direct tv to dish network.

I would not be surprised if dish did not offer the 811 to people who were part of this voom mess.

#13 OFFLINE   jeslevine

jeslevine

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:56 PM

when voom shuts off at the end of the month, I will NOT jump to any satellite or cable provider unless they can provide sufficient content and quality

at this time dish, direct, and comcast do NOT have the content, and I can wait

Why should I pay for limited HD content when I can get free HD OTA in the meantime

#14 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:03 AM

Because it is a good complement to OTA. I've had OTA HD since Summer 2001. Even the limited HD available on DirecTV is preferable to OTA HD alone. ANd for only $10 or $11 extra, it is worth it compared to my HD equipment investment and my $90+ satellite bill.

spam firewall