Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How fast is your Internet Connection?

• Please log in to reply
429 replies to this topic

#326 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

yea it's centurylink DSL charter won't come up my. ~950 ft driveway even through my neighbor across the street who has a 10 ft driveway can get it no problem

Did you approach them with the idea that you'd install the wire from the street to your house? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#327 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

was not aware this was retail business….

I wasn't saying his was, I just gave one scenario why he may not want to move. Now that the poster has said a 950 foot driveway. That sounds expensive. It sounds like a nice place to live with that long driveway for isolation.

Of course I wouldn't want to mow the lawn :)

TB

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#328 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 362 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

Did you approach them with the idea that you'd install the wire from the street to your house?

yea I even bought the cable and they still won't install
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#329 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,142 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

I called Comcast today to see why my wireless connection is so slow and the wired is smoking hot.

The man told me that I was eligible for a speed increase for no extra cost and TV. I told him I did not want TV and asked if this was a promotion for some time period. He said NO. I told him to do it.

Mercy, we now have 92mbs download.

laptop is still 16 or there abouts.  They tried to help me with it but it is an owned, not Comcast router so they could not get into it.

Have to wait until my son decides to work on it. He said I should see nothing less than half of the wired speed.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#330 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

Can you hook another router to it? That'd either give you the boost you want, or help eliminate something. 

#331 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,142 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

I want my son to take a look at the settings in it. They might have changed. The Comcast tech said to set the channel I want to use and test it, don't have it set to auto.

I have been changing every setting, just about, in my laptop modem. Just now I got it to speedtest at 35.88.

One of the things I found and changed was it was set to 801.1b and it is an n modem. I changed it to 8101.a,b,g,n/auto ( I think ).

15 minutes later and I made no changes to the modem in the laptop and now it is checking 15mbs. LOL

I am done with it for now.

Edited by jimmie57, 16 August 2014 - 08:40 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#332 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

MY SPEEDTEST

DOWNLOAD

24.63Mb/s

UPLOAD

5.22Mb/s

PING

41 ms

Provider Uverse

#333 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

...like Comcast and AT&T that park their trucks along side those taxpayer supported streets to string cable.

So Comcast, AT&T, et al. should be prevented from the general use of taxpayer supported [sic] accommodations, why? If I'm not mistaken, all, or, at least, nearly all, Comcast, AT&T, et al. employees, owners (shareholders), and even a handful of their respective customers contribute to the public funding of said taxpayer-supported streets via whatever (and generally multiple) taxing entities to which they are subject. 

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#334 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,844 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:23 PM

So Comcast, AT&T, et al. should be prevented from the general use of taxpayer supported [sic] accommodations, why? If I'm not mistaken, all, or, at least, nearly all, Comcast, AT&T, et al. employees, owners (shareholders), and even a handful of their respective customers contribute to the public funding of said taxpayer-supported streets via whatever (and generally multiple) taxing entities to which they are subject. 

And where did I say they should be prevented from the use of government created and supported accommodations? My point is that we as Americans need to insure through those governments that all American homes and businesses have access to a defined minimum service level at an affordable price. Of course, since we taxpayers are effectively abandoning adequate maintenance of our roads and bridges and other infrastructure, I don't really know why I care about the internet or cell phone service. I've got mine....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#335 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,142 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

Can you hook another router to it? That'd either give you the boost you want, or help eliminate something. 

I think I stumbled onto the problem with the speeds changing on the wireless laptops.

It appears that my son's laptop is a much slower connection. The lease times to the router are set at 24 hours so they basically never disconnect and have a chance to reset. I am looking into a faster modem for his laptop and maybe even mine.

We are also going to shorten the lease times to 12 hours so that each machine will disconnect entirely and the router should ? go back to the faster speed until he logs on with his slower machine.

Does this make any sense at all ??

The way I did this was that I changed a setting on my modem and it slowed down to 8 Mbs and would not change back even tho I changed the setting back to where it was. After about an hour I gave up and reset the modem.

Bang, back to above 30Mbs on my laptop.

#336 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,613 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

Gigabit launches in Cincinnati early September. I may not upgrade.

#337 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA - near San Jose

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

While on vacation 2 weeks ag0, I received an email from Comcast saying my speeds had been doubled. Upon arriving home, I skeptically ran Speedtest.

It was 1:30 am and I got 122 Mbps download and 16 Mbps upload.

Holy bits Batman!

If I ever get out of my training class I'll try to post an actual Speedtest pic.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#338 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,142 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

While on vacation 2 weeks ag0, I received an email from Comcast saying my speeds had been doubled. Upon arriving home, I skeptically ran Speedtest.

It was 1:30 am and I got 122 Mbps download and 16 Mbps upload.

Holy bits Batman!

If I ever get out of my training class I'll try to post an actual Speedtest pic.

Yep, we got one of those also.

We were on a 25 Mbs service and jumped to 50. When I called for help with the wireless laptops not speeding up they told me we were paying enough that we should be getting the 100Mbs. The man sent a signal and it doubled again.

No extra cost and not a promotional price / gimmick.

#339 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

No, but Speedtest results can be jiggered by ISPs. A longer test is better, but may not be worth your time or effort. A test such as timing a very large file. 

#340 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,328 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

No, but Speedtest results can be jiggered by ISPs. A longer test is better, but may not be worth your time or effort. A test such as timing a very large file. 

My Linksys router has a speed test of it's own built into the software.  When I was having problems a couple years ago, Speedtest showed me one thing, my router's software told me something completely different and much lower.  

Rich

#341 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

My Linksys router has a speed test of it's own built into the software.  When I was having problems a couple years ago, Speedtest showed me one thing, my router's software told me something completely different and much lower.  

Rich

Hi Rich

Just Curious Fios or Optimum? I find that for a Cable Internet the Optimum is very consistent even during periods when I would expect them to be under a heavy load.

Cheers

TBoneit

#342 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,844 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

Rich

If you're not comparing speed tests to the same server, via the same routing path to that server, you're talking apples and oranges. Best to stick with one speed test to one test server and hope the #s are consistent morning, noon and night, as well as day to day.

• boukengreen likes this
/steve

#343 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,328 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

Hi Rich

Just Curious Fios or Optimum? I find that for a Cable Internet the Optimum is very consistent even during periods when I would expect them to be under a heavy load.

Cheers

TBoneit

Optimum, wasn't their fault.  The OOMA I had caused the problems.  I disconnected it completely one day and I haven't had any Net problems since.  

I find it very consistent.  To the point where I really have no problems with them at all.  Costs a lot.  

Rich

#344 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA - near San Jose

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

...and let's not forget...regardless of your speed, you are still held hostage by the upload speed of the server you're downloading from. I've noticed Comcast uses ancient slow servers for email.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#345 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,613 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

Pretty much all servers top out at something way under your peak speed. The high end speed tiers I think are more beneficial to when you've got multiple devices streaming or using a lot of data at once.

• Rich likes this

#346 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 559 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

Optimum, wasn't their fault.  The OOMA I had caused the problems.  I disconnected it completely one day and I haven't had any Net problems since.  

I find it very consistent.  To the point where I really have no problems with them at all.  Costs a lot.  

Rich

OOMA will cause drastic reductions in upload speeds when phone is in use if QOS is improperly set. I had this occur when I had my internet speed increased without changing QOS. Setting QOS to match current internet speed will resolve that problem.

#347 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,328 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

OOMA will cause drastic reductions in upload speeds when phone is in use if QOS is improperly set. I had this occur when I had my internet speed increased without changing QOS. Setting QOS to match current internet speed will resolve that problem.

Throwing the OOMA in the garbage was an easier solution.

Rich

#348 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

My wireless speed is almost the same as my wired speed when my laptop computer is in the same room as the router. But the upstairs computer wireless speed is about half the speed of wired. I still can stream video without interruptions upstairs.

I'm using FiOS with 50/50 nominal speed.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#349 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,328 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

My wireless speed is almost the same as my wired speed when my laptop computer is in the same room as the router. But the upstairs computer wireless speed is about half the speed of wired. I still can stream video without interruptions upstairs.

I get the same thing with my laptop.   

Rich

#350 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

I get the same thing with my laptop.   

Rich

Hi Rich & Bill

It is quite possible that the speed difference is due to the Wireless adapter in the laptop. I have the same symptom in my Laptops. I'm using 801.11ac a real high speed wireless. However the laptops both have 802.11b wireless adapters in them that could be and most likely are causing the speed difference. If they Wireless N even then it would be less noticeable.

Cheers

TBoneit

Protected By... spam firewall...And...