Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How fast is your Internet Connection?

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#351 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,229 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

Hi Rich & Bill

It is quite possible that the speed difference is due to the Wireless adapter in the laptop. I have the same symptom in my Laptops. I'm using 801.11ac a real high speed wireless. However the laptops both have 802.11b wireless adapters in them that could be and most likely are causing the speed difference. If they Wireless N even then it would be less noticeable.

Cheers

TBoneit

802.11b is a whopping 11 mbs - on a good day!  You'd probably see a big improvement with a $15 N usb adapter.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#352 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

True, But in my case it would mean wear and tear on the USB ports and since for what they do the Internet is fast enough.

I do know how the wireless adapter can affect speed. that is why I have 802.11ac in the router and on the Computer.

Cheers

TB

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#353 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,582 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hi Rich & Bill

It is quite possible that the speed difference is due to the Wireless adapter in the laptop. I have the same symptom in my Laptops. I'm using 801.11ac a real high speed wireless. However the laptops both have 802.11b wireless adapters in them that could be and most likely are causing the speed difference. If they Wireless N even then it would be less noticeable.

Cheers

TBoneit

Oddly, that's what I thought it was too.

Rich

#354 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,767 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Not mine, unfortunately, but not too shabby. :P

04958259-5ca7-4ea0-bd8d-345ec3cfabdf-460

[more]

/steve

#355 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,582 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

Wow!  That is fast.  I thought you were posting about CV and something new and wonderful.    :nono2:

Rich

#356 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,767 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

Wow!  That is fast.  I thought you were posting about CV and something new and wonderful.    :nono2:

Rich

Ya. Great for small businesses with lots of web-connected employees. Not sure it would change my life a bit, tho.

I got a free bump to 50/25 with Cablevision, but in practice, it doesn't feel any faster for web browsing or Netflix than my previous 15/5, except for uploading photos to Picasa. Gigabit service would be lost on me, ATM. Maybe in a few years, when we might be Face-timing with out grandkids in 4k on 100" displays, it'll matter. :P

/steve

#357 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,582 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

Ya. Great for small businesses with lots of web-connected employees. Not sure it would change my life a bit, tho.

I got a free bump to 50/25 with Cablevision, but in practice, it doesn't feel any faster for web browsing or Netflix than my previous 15/5, except for uploading photos to Picasa. Gigabit service would be lost on me, ATM. Maybe in a few years, when we might be Face-timing with out grandkids in 4k on 100" displays, it'll matter. :P

I don't think it would make any difference to me either.  We've always got a lot of devices being used and we have no problems with CV's feed.  I do have the optional boost.

Rich

#358 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 548 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

I replaced my modem with a Motorola/Arris SB6141 and increased my service level to Comcast Blast and my speed has more than doubled to 60/12.

#359 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,667 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

I figure I should do this every few months, so here's today's results...

4078544979.png

...which seems even better than five months ago.

Well, it looks like this new speed is continuing ...

3691791082.png

...so I guess I'm in "Netflix enabled."

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#360 OFFLINE   mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

Woohoo! 3 Mbps / 768k Verizon DSL in 2015!! Haha. ... Nothing else available here

Attached Thumbnails

• 1421883550170.jpg

#361 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,659 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:28 PM

I feel your pain. Mine increased by a good percentage from six months ago.... Now up to 3.3 Mbps! But less than half for upload. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#362 OFFLINE   mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

I feel your pain. Mine increased by a good percentage from six months ago.... Now up to 3.3 Mbps! But less than half for upload.

I didn't even get the DSL until October 2014. Luckily in PA there is a universal DSL law, all telcos need to offer DSL (granted at only 1.5 Mbps) by the end of 2015. Of course, Verizon is the only one left needing to continue deployment.

My line can handle 10 Mbps, but Verizon seems to cap lines from remote terminals at 3 "just because". It is fed with fiber.

#363 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

4081151890.png

My speeds.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#364 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,659 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

Now that's just obscene. 

If you had your location in your Profile, I wouldn't have to ask where this is. Salt Lake??

#365 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

Now that's just obscene. 

If you had your location in your Profile, I wouldn't have to ask where this is. Salt Lake??

No ST. George is right on the boarder with Nevada. A little over an hours drive from Las Vegas.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#366 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,659 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:37 PM

Thanks. Now, if you and others would take the time and  trouble.....  :)

#367 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,395 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

This is for the posters last year that suggested it was the laptop adaptor that was causing the slower speed. Not so. It's the distance from my downstairs router. If I bring my laptop into the same room as the router the difference in speeds is negligible.

My upstairs desktop computer also shows the much slower downwoard speed. It's wirelessly connected to the downstairs router. It's much more of a hassle to move the desktop machine downstairs. I have no problem streaming YouTube videos; I do not watch full-length movies on my upstairs machine at all.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#368 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:28 PM

I'm no expert in how the internet works. But I have upgraded to my phone companies(Consolidated Communications) fastest speed 20mbps where I live. Average speed is 18mbps. This is a two line bonded arrangement.

My question is can DSL be made to go faster without upgrading their lines to fiber. I'm doubting this speed will satisfy my needs for long. I live in a small backwards town and I don't see that kinda upgrade happening, but if they could upgrade something at the office to increase speed maybe.

The local cable company(new wave communication) had 30mbps and maybe 50mbps but I worried about reliability and the actual speed you get in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#369 OFFLINE   mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

I'm no expert in how the internet works. But I have upgraded to my phone companies(Consolidated Communications) fastest speed 20mbps where I live. Average speed is 18mbps. This is a two line bonded arrangement.

My question is can DSL be made to go faster without upgrading their lines to fiber. I'm doubting this speed will satisfy my needs for long. I live in a small backwards town and I don't see that kinda upgrade happening, but if they could upgrade something at the office to increase speed maybe.

The local cable company(new wave communication) had 30mbps and maybe 50mbps but I worried about reliability and the actual speed you get in the end.

20 Mbps DSL is already pretty great for DSL! Likely nothing will be able to go higher without VDSL bonding which requires new equipment at the CO.

#370 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,659 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

Why do you think 19 Mbps is too slow? 

Where do you live? (you can put that info in your profile)

I believe New Wave serves my area, but I too was concerned about major speed slowdowns when I'd need it most. 

#371 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

783263244.png

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

SL-5, SWM-16, (2) HR22-100, (1) H21-200, (1) H20-100, (1) HR44-200, (1) CCK

#372 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,473 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

Posted Today, 12:22 PM

I have Time Warner cable internet.  I had a 30/5 plan until last fall.  After Google announced their gigabit fiber for the Austin area, AT&T uVerse answered with their own gigabit.  This forced TW to up the ante and so I got moved to 200/20 at no extra cost.  It's plenty fast.

4094109586.png

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#373 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,659 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

Now that is really disgusting!

:)

• mrknowitall526 likes this

#374 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

Why do you think 19 Mbps is too slow?
Where do you live? (you can put that info in your profile)
I believe New Wave serves my area, but I too was concerned about major speed slowdowns when I'd need it most.

Well I believe the 18mbps will be fine for streaming Netflix 4k as I have read that a steady 15mbps is good, but Netflix recommends 25mbps.

And if I can get away with 15mbps it doesn't leave any room for any other internet activities. I currently live alone but my girlfriend and kids could put a strain on the bandwidth someday.

I live in Pana, Illinois. Sad thing is 20 miles north a local company is fibering the whole town. CTI fiber is doing Taylorville, Illinois

#375 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

20 Mbps DSL is already pretty great for DSL! Likely nothing will be able to go higher without VDSL bonding which requires new equipment at the CO.

What is VDSL and how is it different then the bonding I have now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...